What does your family do on Halloween?

Halloween has changes a lot over the years, as it isn't near as safe for children to walk in neighborhoods after dark going up to strangers houses. What do you or your family do on Halloween?
@epicure35 (2822)
I do not "celebrate" Halloween because it is a day dedicated to Satan and demons. That's why so many bad and dark things happen then. Even as a child, I did not go out. I do like candy and giving it out, but that can be done on any other of the 365 days a year. Same with costumes; it's always fun to play dress-up. You are correct in stating that it has gotten a lot less safe over the years. In part that's so because we have "bought into" Satan's lie that he doesn't really exist, so we ignore the evil or pretend it's just an isolated incident. Not true. The "spirit" of Halloween with disembodied pumpkin and other heads, skeletons, scary costumes and decorations is all wrong.
@dfollin (19729)
Oh,ba-hum-bug!....celebrate satan and demons....It is just for fun and pretend! Bad things happen on Halloween night.Right,just like bad things happen on Friday the 13th!My son was born on the 13th and he is 27 and nothing ever bad has happened to him on those years where his birthday landed on a Friday.His daughter too was born on a 13th,she is only 4 and has only had one birthday on a Friday the 13th,but she's fine. My grandmother was very superstitious,don't open the umbrella in the house,don't put your shoes on the bed,don't walk under the ladder!Oh get a grip! Everything happens for a reason....God's reason,not Satan's!
@epicure35 (2822)
And I am NOT superstitious. And I TOO was born on the 13th. You misread and misunderstand what I have said. Believe what you will and I will not "ba-hum-bug" you.
@dfollin (19729)
You misunderstood what I said,I wasn't ba-hum-bugging you personally,just that belief.
No one even knocks on my door so I don't even buy candy to give out to kids. I love to see the costumes and loved going trick or treating with my daughter. Now we are all past this stage in life so we don't do anything.
I live out in the country, so have been like you for years. Recently, I started publishing a neighborhood magazine for a gated community in our town. They hold a Trunk or Treat event in the clubhouse parking lot. Homeowners from the community park their cars in the parking lot and decorate their trunks in a Halloween theme, then all the children from the neighborhood go through the parking lot. Inside the clubhouse, the events committee builds the Tunnel of Terror which the kids love. Our local Baptist Church got involved last year bringing bounce houses, games and hotdogs, chili, hot chocolate, etc. The event is very well attended with over 500 attending. So now I go to the event to take photos for the magazine.
@dfollin (19729)
Wow,Kizzy! That sounds like fun! To mention also,s lot of the shopping malls used to give out candy,the kids would go store to store.But then after a year or two,most of the stores stopped participating or they would start so early that they would run out of candy early.I remember that last year that we went my daughter walked up to a candy store and said "Trick or Treat" and the lady told her,"Sorry we are out of candy!"....Well,Duh! Its. a candy store!That's what my daughter said! There is a small farm near here that grows pumpkins and has lots of apple trees.When kids come there on school field trip's they get a free small pumpkin!Then another farm that is a lot bigger,has rides,games,event and animals there all decorated and is Halloween based.
I do not have kids at home. I have shut my lights out for years, as no kids live in my block. We often participated in a carnival conducted by our church or several churches.
@stephcjh (32303)
We do not do anything anymore since we do not have little ones at home anymore. I do have a new grandbaby though and we may take her trick or treating when she gets old enough to go. We only have one child in the neighborhood. I'm not sure if he will come for candy or not this year.
• Mexico
Hi Kizzy Cat Fish: Here in my house we don't have little kids yet so we don't celebrate Halloween. However I remember when I was a kid. I enjoyed asking for candies, the parties and the dresses. It was just fun and I enjoyed them a lot, especially because of the candies . ALVARO
@koperty3 (1876)
If we are in UK so we do nothing. Halloween is for us like any other day. If we are in Poland we visit graves of our ancestors and passed friends. We lit candles and put some flowers just to remember them. That's tradition.