Worth Avenue

Worth Avenue is one of my favorite places to shop and eat in Florida, but it is full of nostalgia for me, too. Years ago we were on vacation in Florida with our then two year old son. Friends of ours took us to see Worth Avenue in Palm Beach. Our little son posed for photos by beautiful stone benches and ornate flower filled urns. Behind him was a beautiful white home surrounded by gorgeous gardens. Once home, our new sister-in-law came for dinner. As she flipped through our Florida photo album, she commented that her mother had almost identical stone benches and flower urns and asked where the photos were taken. After I told her they were taken on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, Florida, she burst out laughing. That was her parents’ backyard and those benches and urns belonged to her mother! Of course times have changed. One can no longer see her parents’ former home, although it is still there. Every time we shop or eat on Worth Avenue, I think of our son who once posed there many years ago.
Fond memories and it just proves how small the world really is
Exactly!
@lyndakerby You should write about them!
@moffittjc (53704)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have so many great memories of strolling along Worth Avenue with my parents when I was young. Anytime we'd cross the bridge into Palm Beach, it felt like we were entering a different world. Growing up, I was in awe of Palm Beach!
I knew you'd know that feeling. I feel the same way as I did the first time we visited. I'm still in awe of it. We take the Lake Avenue Bridge because it's the closest, but have taken a couple of others. One we took because Trump was in town, and the first time we were lost. Our sis in law drove us all around when we came down to visit her. She grew up in Palm Beach and showed us lots of things we'd never find on our own.
@moffittjc (53704)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN I used to love crossing over the intracoastal on the Ocean Avenue bridge, and then driving north along A1A taking in the amazing scenery. No matter how many times I did it, it never got old! I also loved driving the neighborhood streets on the north end of Palm Beach. It's just so beautiful!
@moffittjc We usually take the Ocean Ave bridge on the way home. I can see our condo from A1A before we get to it. lol I've only been to the north end of Palm Beach twice. Our sis-in-law has friends who live there. We had lunch in the garden of one. I will never forget it, because I got the worst sunburn of my life.
@CarolDM (25209)
You have great memories. And yes what a coincidence.
I have a memory like an elephant and rarely forget a thing.
@CarolDM (25209)
@DianneN That is a good thing. I do when it comes to certain things.
@CarolDM That's called selective memory.
@antonbunot (10754)
• Calgary, Alberta
Most of the time I shop at Walmart boulevard and army/navy avenue. LOL
You are hilarious!!! I'll be cutting back once we return up north. Probably.
This is a nice coincidence. You take photos of a place and years later you discover that someone you know lived there.
It was a shock to discover that our "new" sis-in-law lived there. I have had so many coincidences that happened over the years, some in California, Bermuda, and on two different trips to China of all places!
@DianneN So many weird coincidences happen, we cannot explain everything.
@LadyDuck So true! Some that I had were good, and one not so good.
Oh wow - what a small world! That's quite a coincidence. Worth Avenue . . . well if there is a Saks there as in your photo, then it must be an upscale place. Is it literally one long "avenue" full of shops and restaurants?
Very small world indeed! Actually, it's not much longer. There is one more block after this and that's about it. It has the usual stores that any upscale place has - Neiman's, Louie, Cartier, Chanel, Gucci, etc., art galleries, and a few nice restaurants. Not too many though, since it's such a short two blocks. I like it mostly because of Saks and it's so close to where we live. Up north, I have a 45-50 minute drives to the nearest Saks, which is a royal pain on the highway. Always traffic to and from.
@DianneN We don't have a Saks out here locally (only a Saks Off 5th, the outlet) - I think the closest would be in Beverly Hills. It's interesting that a lot of the malls here have brought in these upscale shops - no need to drive too far anymore - and the newly built ones are outdoorsy and trendy too. Having your favorite shops so close to you is fun and convenient (but can be dangerous too ).
@much2say A friend from the NYC SAKS works at the Beverly Hills SAKS. If you go, look for Stacey in the cosmetics department. Florida is loaded with malls with those upscale shops, but surprisingly, only a couple in CT. That’s why we go to Boston so often, and you’re right about it being so dangerous.
What a coincidence. I hope one day you find those shots so you can share them with us, it really would be interesting. Somehow I've always equated FL with the everglades not cities.
It sure was a coincidence, and I have many more that happened near and far. I do have the photos in a photo album up north.. I'll have to remember to show them to you. It's funny what we perceive if we haven't visited a place.
@rebelann Those are two of our favorite cities! There's a lot more than concrete that each of those cities offer. Too bad you couldn't stop by for a visit some day.
I don't like being around so many huge buildings @DianneN after all I'm a desert rat that gets an open sky view every day even when I'm driving. to be in a city with so many skyscrapers would be strange for me and not very pleasant.
Well, I can imagine how easy it would be to mistake those benches and flower urns for Worth Avenue items. Great memories Worth Avenue brings to you.
Thanks, and I promise to continue making many more memories there. lol
@DianneN I bet the photos were adorable.
@1hopefulman (41037)
Wow, that was an amazing experience. Who would have thought? !
Isn't it crazy? Remind me to tell you about some more crazy happenings in my life. lol
@1hopefulman (41037)
@DianneN This is the place to share!
@1hopefulman Exactly!!!
Did you post this twice ?
Thanks, Marie. Something went wrong when I posted it and I had to log in again. I had no idea until you mentioned it. I just deleted it.
@DianneN I've had it happen too.
@Tampa_girl7 . Thanks again.
That is something else isn't it? FYI, I have something that will blow your mind, friend's family on his paternal grandmother's side once owned a livery stable in Times Square!!!!
Holy cow! That does blow my mind. Prime real estate for sure. We have friends that own a couple of parking lots in Manhattan. Can you imagine what those are worth?
@DianneN A gazillion dollars I am sure!
@snowy22315 I'm sure. If only......... On that visit to Worth Avenue with friends years ago, we saw a house on the ocean for sale. It was a huge Tudor and needed some work, but it was $650,000 then and way out of our price range of course. I won't even tell you what it's worth now, but I'm sure you can guess. If only.......
• Caracas, Venezuela
What a funny coincidence, it is a small world! P.S: I love the blouse that you are wearing in the picture Dianne!
It is a small world!!! I have so many stories to tell about running into people all over the world in the strangest places. And many thanks about the blouse. Our friend at the store loved it, too, and I told her I bought it upstairs on my last visit. lol. (The bottom of the blouse is all black lace)
• Caracas, Venezuela
@DianneN Oh that's sexy! I love it, If I was a woman, I would definitely wear one like that!
@jvicentevalera . I do have much sexier tops. lol
@moonandstars (15403)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
I never knew that a shopping stops could bring some lovely memories. That's great!
Every time I shop I create a new memory.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@DianneN Outstanding
@wanghui (936)
haha,what a coincidence! interesting!the world is so small in this way~~
Yes, it IS a small world.
@wanghui (936)
@simone10 (28132)
Such sweet memories. I can see why they would mean so much to you.
Thank you.
@simone10 (28132)
@dya80dya (14557)
What an amazing coincidence. You have nice memories.
It was a huge coincidence and thanks so much!
@dya80dya (14557)
@DianneN You are welcome
@Janet357 (13954)
Yes places really change as time goes by. Is this the present worth avenue?
Yes, this is the present. It hasn't changed too much over the years.
@Janet357 (13954)
@DianneN sad sometimes. It happens to everyone. Like they used to live in such area, and now this area is commercial already or some building has been erected, it makes ones sad,
@DianneN What good memories you have.
Thanks, Hanni.
@DianneN You are so welcome Dianne.
@LindaOHio (3736)
What a coicidence!
I can write about many more coincidences from near and far. They happen to us a lot!
@lyndakerby That's what makes myLot so special!
@cacay1 (36574)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
18h
So nice place sweet memories, you look so great in this great place for dining.Indeed, it's nice to remember the sweet reminiscing.
11h
Thank you so much. It was a wonderful day!