When Do You Brush Your Teeth?

By DB
@dgobucks226 (17204)
So is there a best time to brush your teeth in the morning? Will it harm your teeth if you brush before breakfast, or should you wait until after? And why would it matter anyway as long as you brush? Apparently the answers to all these questions is yes! When you brush your teeth does have a bearing on dental health according to Julius N. Manz, DDS, a practicing dentist and spokesperson for the American Dental Association. Depending on just what you are eating and drinking is the key when it comes to brushing your teeth. To protect your teeth's enamel against harmful bacteria from foods or drinks, the timing of when to brush can be very important. I used to brush my teeth right after eating breakfast but according to the American Dental Association it might be healthier to wait a bit. It really comes down to the types of foods/drinks you enjoy for breakfast. If you avoid them it doesn't matter when you brush before or after breakfast. One item which can soften your enamel is orange juice. Brushing immediately after consuming OJ can damage your teeth. It's best to wait an hour after eating when having foods or drink with acidic content in them. Whenever you choose to brush, however, just make sure you do so twice a day for at least two minutes each time. Now, care to discuss or comment when you are brushing. And just what are those other harmful foods anyway? Stay tuned, lol. Source- popsugar.com Photo-healthyshetland.com
@ShifaLk (10640)
I brush in the morning before eating anything, even before tea/coffee :)
@dgobucks226 (17204)
Ok. I prefer after breakfast so the food does not sit until I brush again. But there is no set rules on when to brush before or after.
@ShifaLk (10640)
@dgobucks226 lol yeah... No rules. I sometimes do after taking Bed tea because I can't get up out of the bed without a tea/coffee . Especially in the winters
@dgobucks226 (17204)
@ShifaLk I see. Coffee/tea in the winter definitely helps...
@1hopefulman (41115)
I don't know when is the best time to brush one's teeth but I brush before I go out in the morning and floss and brush about 30 minutes after supper in the evening. I don't eat anything in the morning or afternoon and I brush for 4 minutes.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
It seems to me you are doing all the necessary things correct for good dental health. You might be interested in these acidic foods which can damage the enamel. They are eggs, fish, beans, citrus fruit, oranges, tomatoes, blueberries, pineapple, grapes, soda, energy drinks, processed meats. Usually high in protein items make the acidic list...
@1hopefulman (41115)
@dgobucks226 I find a good thing to do is after eating anything to rinse one's mouth with water.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
@1hopefulman I've been using Listerine as a rinse which must be working. At least my most recent checkup was a success
@nela13 (19739)
• Portugal
I always brush my teeth after breakfast and before going to bed.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
Same here. Here are some additional foods which can harm your enamel: eggs, fish, beans, citrus fruit, oranges, tomatoes, blueberries, pineapple, grapes, soda, energy drinks, processed meats. Usually high in protein items make the acidic list...
@nela13 (19739)
• Portugal
@dgobucks226 from your list the one I didn't know was eggs.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
@nela13 I agree. I found that one surprising myself Manuela.
I brush in the morning before consuming anything and always at night before bed. If I had the opportunity I might brush during the day depending on what I eat.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
I'm very much like you although I brush after breakfast. Here are a few foods to watch out for which can soften enamel due to it's acidity eggs, fish, beans, citrus fruit, oranges, tomatoes, blueberries, pineapple, grapes, soda, energy drinks, processed meats.
@dgobucks226 thanks for the list. It's very helpful
@dgobucks226 (17204)
@Marilynda1225 You bet, thanks!
@Sojourn (4556)
I brush in the morning and seldom I do it before bedtime.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
I am the same. After breakfast and before bedtime. Sometimes on weekends I'll also brush after lunch when I'm eating at home. Thanks for responding!
@Sojourn (4556)
@dgobucks226 I brush before breakfast actually.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
@Sojourn As long as your brushing
@porwest (14298)
I am terrible at this. I brush in the morning only. My one tooth seems just fine.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
Good to hear! Make sure you floss it
@porwest (14298)
@dgobucks226 lol. Indeed.
@weevee18 (1754)
I brush after eating breakfast and lunch and before I sleep at night.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
You have all your bases covered
@weevee18 (1754)
@dgobucks226 yes I try to cover it all
I brush in the morning to get the grit off and at night before I go to bed.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
The two best times to brush. If you eat any of these foods don't brush immediately after eating for they can soften and damage your enamel. Usually acidic foods: eggs, fish, beans, citrus fruit, oranges, tomatoes, blueberries, pineapple, grapes, soda, energy drinks, processed meats. Usually high in protein items make the acidic list...
@Lolaze (3984)
• St. Louis, Missouri
I brush multiple times a day since I have Invisalign retainers. I just heard the thing recently about not brushing right after acidity foods, guess I need to change my timing for sure.
@dgobucks226 (17204)
Yes, I never knew this before. Here are some examples of other acidic foods: eggs, fish, beans, citrus fruit, oranges, tomatoes, blueberries, pineapple, grapes, soda, energy drinks, processed meats. Usually high in protein items make the acidic list...