Four nice shirts and I got $100.00

Well, they are kind of "blousey" I guess, since they are pretty and some have lace / crochet like detailing. I went to Goodwill today as I was thinking "I need some new shirts and I don't want to pay a lot." Now, there are somethings I won't get at the goodwill, but shirts are not one of them. They are in the dryer at the moment. One thing I never do is try on a shirt from goodwill, not until I've washed it. That might just be me, but I can't be sure that the shirt is actually clean until I've cleaned it myself. Do you check the shirts you buy secondhand (used) for stains? I didn't do a thorough check today, but I didn't see any obvious stains. I came home with a shirt once that had a stain at the bottom, so I usually try to do a once over and make sure there's no stains on them. I sold my tablet to a family member. I asked for $75.00, $50.00 for the tablet itself and $25.00 for the accesories (a bluetooth keyboard and the case), he gave me $100.00 instead.
@akalinus (27045)
I wash any clothes I buy at the shop or the store before wearing them. I don't want anyone else's lice or skin conditions.
I also wash anything that's brand new.
@akalinus (27045)
@ScribbledAdNauseum You never know who has touched it or tried it on. It is better to be safe.
@akalinus Yes it is. Now that I by more leggings than anything, I don't have to worry about something not fitting. I know what size of leggigngs I need and so just buy them, come home and wash / dry them so they are ready for when I want to wear them. Jeans were something I always had to try on.
I never bought used clothing, but I wash new clothes I buy in the store, they are new, but people could have tried them on and not bought.
Not only that, but I've heard that formadelhyde is used on clothes to keep them nice until they are purchased. I am not sure if this is done in Europe though.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I know that clothing from China is made with urea-formaldehyde, that is something banned in Europe. I usually do not buy clothing made in China, I always check to be sure that what I buy is "made in Europe".
@LadyDuck As you know, all, or almost all of our clothing is made in China. Atleast it is for now... This trade war going on might put a stop to that.
I do check second hand shirts thoroughly . . . I have had my share of buying stuff with stains/holes I didn't catch til later. I wash all of it - and throw in some oxiclean for good measure! How generous of your family member !
Oxiclean is some good stuff! We have or had some here at one point, might've used it all. I did buy one shirt that I didn't realize had a seam under the bust. I could get it on, just not back off. It was only about $3.00 and so I'm not crying over it. I'd say it was atleast $5 -$8.00 retail.
@ScribbledAdNauseum If I don't have Oxiclean, I use some baking soda. That's what I love about second hand clothes shopping . . . if something isn't right after I get home, then no big deal.
I've never bought clothes from the goodwill, but have gotten clothes from the food pantry, in the past. And did check them for rips and stains. Always washed them when i got home too, also do with clothes from the stores - now. Never use to, until 3 years ago though.
I've washed clothe I've gotten new for years. I used to not worry about it as much, but that stopped around my mid 20's when I started washing them before I'd wear them. I know some people will just wear them without washing but I've heard they treat the clothes with formadelyhyde and i want that stuff off of it!
@ScribbledAdNauseum I don't know what that is.. but I stopped wearing them before washing them (besides to try them on in store), because you never know who else has tried them on and if they were clean or anything.
@JustBhem (51293)
• Davao, Philippines
Yes, I always check them before getting them.
People will donate clothes without caring if they are stained or not, or they forget it's stained. I know of a girl who sells her used clothes and some of them are quite stained.
@JustBhem (51293)
• Davao, Philippines
@ScribbledAdNauseum Why not giving it to the homeless instead of selling them.
@JustBhem I guess some people do that. She doesn't because she uses the money to buy more clothes or to buy food.
I've never bought clothes from Goodwill but if I did I'd be sure to check for stains (or obvious ones anyway). I also wouldn't wear it without washing it first. You got a good deal on your sale for the tablet and accessories
Yeah I really did. I only wanted $75 for it but he gave me $100.00. I had to throw one of the shirts away. I tried it on at home (after washing it) and it fit, but I had to work it to get it on, and I couldn't get it off without ripping it. I only paid about $2.50 for it though, so I'm not complaining.
@ScribbledAdNauseum no sense in keeping anything that doesn't fit comfortably. $2.50 isn't a bad price to lose with the shirt
@Marilynda1225 I like baggier shirts anyway, something that doesn't show the tummy.
@aureliah (23100)
• Kenya
Wow. I think he gave you that because it was a deal
No, he told me he didn't want to have to do the math in his checkbook, so he gave me the extra $25.00 anyway.
@aureliah (23100)
• Kenya
19h
@ScribbledAdNauseum Thats a kind person
I wash many of my brand new clothes and always my underwear. They are tried on by others in the store.
I wash brand new clothes before wearing them as well, but I am more likely to try on clothes that are brand new. I haven't actually done that in a very long time though.
@ScribbledAdNauseum that is good.
It is good to hear about an honest and generous family member. I do try to check things for wear and holes. I do not want to try on things at thrift stores. If they was the things it usually is with stuff I am allergic to. Yes, you can get bugs that way, too. Even if things are bought new, if someone else tried them on.
Yes, it was very nice of him to give me $100.00 instead of the $75.00 I asked for. Part of it will go towards my credit card bill. The rest will go towards savings and some spending. I'll probably go back to goodwill to look at some more blouses. I am not sure if goodwill washes clothes or not, but I don't think they do. I don't know if the things donated at certain goodwills gets sent to the "big goodwill" before going back to stores or not, but I kind of doubt it. We can't trust that everyone washes their stuff.
I bought a shirt from a local thriftstore..and it still had the tags on it!!! I was thinking, hmm I guess someone just didn't want to bother taking it back.
I've seen one or two like that before as well. I figure it was something they purchased and then forgot about, or something that someone else purchased for them and they didn't like.
I do check an item from a resale shop very thoroughly. That $100 will come in handy.
It definitely will. I'll probably spend part of it on more clothes...