When you were a kid

When you were a kid did you ever get to play outside in the summer rain? Hubby said "no" that would be no fun and all you would get would be wet clothes. We did. Maybe once or twice in the summer we were allowed to play in the rain. I know mom and dad made sure there was no thunder or lightening as that could be dangerous. It was a chance to cool off, but the water was not icy cold like from the hose. I am from the south, and I was not old enough or well off enough financially, to go swim a lot. Hubby was from the north and his family made trips to the lakes all around them. Today we had thunderstorms, but the birds played out in the rain. They flew and fed. They sang.They fought each other for the choicest places to sit. What did you do when you were a kid?
@Bensen32 (3885)
Most of my preteens and teen years I lived about a block from the lake so we went there all the time. It was free and the water was cold but we loved it. If it rain we would go out and play in the rain, a little water wont hurt you. Of course as you say if it was lightning out we would find something else to do where we were indoors. We rode bikes, skateboarded. We were always outside, not like kids today who seem afraid of the day light.
I biked and skateboarded too!
@Bensen32 (3885)
@andriaperry oh to be a kid again
Hubby grew up near lakes and creeks. The boys hunted and everyone fished. The family had a "deer camp" with a sauna as well. Yes, we spent hours outside, not in. Unless we were reading. Also a fun thing to do.
when I was a kid.Trying to earn money for my family to have some food on the table. This was the great depression year.I was never a kid kid.It was tough but we manage to make it
We would collect bottles and sell for change when I was a kid. I was born after the Great Depression but we still did not have money for things. Sometimes not for meals. That is why I love food.
If it was misting outside then yes we did.
I knew I was not the only one. Feeling the rain coming through reminded me.
We always played in the rain, especially in the summer. Though we also had a sprinkler, and pool at home to play in, as well as beaches and ponds to go swimming at. We also played all those fun games of red light green light, red rover, tag, and ding dong ditch. Plus rode bikes, rollerbladed, skateboarded, played hop skotch, etc. We were very active and stuff.
Yes. I grew up in two different neighborhoods. We were always outside playing one game or another. It was great. We used our imaginations and our bodies.
@GardenGerty yup. Wish parents had their kids doing that now. But cant force them.
@Courtlynn One think I used to not realize, with all the parents working, it is not safe for kids to play outside. . . they might get snatched.
I did not play out in the rain but in the summer afterward, I made sure to go through all of the mud puddles everywhere much to my mom's dismay.
We had a ditch with the run off. We would fish for tadpoles in it.
@louievill (22037)
Rain was something to welcome during hot summers in the Philippines so yes we played in the rain just like most kids we even biked in the rain lol except during times when I stayed with Grandma and my aunts cause I was not allowed to go outside to play.
So you probably did not enjoy those visits. Biking in the rain on pavement can be slippery, I hope you were okay.
@louievill (22037)
@GardenGerty I did enjoy staying with Grandma and my aunts but at a different level, this was where I learned to paint and draw and to read good books. My aunts never married so I was pampered with a lot of good things and money for being a good boy lol! My rough alter ego when I was in our own house did not care much about risks, guess all kids are, we all had the confidence of youth that made us think we were invincible besides we heal faster when we got bruised and cut.
@louievill You had riches in your childhood because of both the play and the learning.
@wolfgirl569 (16206)
• Marion, Ohio
We played in the rain a lot. I still love to be out in a nice summer shower.
It felt great, and feels great. I am not a fan of umbrellas. I had rather get wet.
@wolfgirl569 (16206)
• Marion, Ohio
@GardenGerty I dont think we even have an umbrella around. I wouldnt use it if we did, even in a cold rain.
@wolfgirl569 Sounds like me. Why bother?
@Gillygirl (30929)
• Sutton, England
I was always up to some sort of mischief
Playing in the rain is pretty harmless.
@Gillygirl (30929)
• Sutton, England
@GardenGerty There is something very refreshing about it. I don't mind being out in light rain and won't let it stop me gardening.
i played'n the rain, too, 's most oft 'twas gentle mountain showers. 'round where i live now, ya don't go outdoors coz there's almost always lightnin'. i grew'p'n the mountains 'n did any 'n e'erything i could :) the forest 'twas my playground 'n the critters their intrigued me'n still do to this day.
When I visited my grandparents I got to explore the woods. It was always nice.
@GardenGerty i wish more young'uns 'd the opportunity to do such. e'en if'n not the woods, jest the freedoms we'd back'n the day.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heck yes I played in the rain in Summer! In Chicago, our Summers were warm and humid. If it was raining, the raindrops were (usually) warm and delightful. We wore jean cut offs, the boys took their shirts off, and we played in the rain. Often until we were called in to dinner. And sometimes after.
I forgot you were from Chicago originally. Yes, kids are pretty much the same everywhere.
• Walnut Creek, California
@GardenGerty Here in CA, the rains tend to be colder than they were in Chicago. Kids don't play outside like they did "back in the day."
@CarolDM (29274)
Absolutely, we loved playing in the rain and making mud pies!
Those were the days for sure.
@CarolDM (29274)
@GardenGerty Yes indeed.
@ParaTed2k (22949)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
We loved playing in the fields and hollows in the rain. Swimming in the rain was a lot of fun too. Getting all muddy was the best! I need to squish my bare toes into the mud and muck again sometime.
One of my earliest memories, my grandma came to visit. She let me play in the hose in the back yard. I made a mud hole, she thought it was grand. She probably was there due to my mom having a miscarriage. That seems to have been the only times grandma came to our house. I loved the attention, though.
@Jefrox (323)
• Taytay, Philippines
Me and my brother always get out if its raining and mother hunt us with a piece of wood. :))
Oh no!! We always had permission and did not have to hide.
• Caracas, Venezuela
Lots of things I did when I was younger. I did come out with friends to play with the rain many times! It was wonderful, and so fun!
Childhood gets away too fast.
Yes we did and yes I still do! We were a big family and mom let us play with the water hose, we had those swimming pools in the backyard, mom took us to the holiday inn to swim after the public pool closed.We did enjoy water in the summer.
Hoses, sprinklers, slip n slides. All kinds of fun. If it was not raining we could sure have fun with an old card board box, too.
@RubyHawk (32441)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We loved playing in the rain and I let my kids do it too. It's fun.
Your kids got to have a good childhood.
Exactly like your husband, I never liked to go out and play in the rain, you get wet and t's unpleasant. When I was a kid and I spent time in my grandmother farm we played outside, we jumped rope, we used the bike, we played Badminton and lawn bowls, but we did not play outside when it rained.
You had lots of fun outside. I am sure they are good memories.
@GardenGerty We lived in an apartment in a big city, it was such a good moment when it was vacation time and we could play outside with our cousins. I have good memories of those old times.
@LadyDuck I did the same at my grandparent's farm.
@BarBaraPrz (23202)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I can't remember playing in the rain when I was a kid, but there was one summer when I was an adult and I had plumbing problems, that I did go out in the rain to have a shower...
The year I had bad plumbing problems it was in the winter. We showered at the Y. Just my hot water was frozen, but we had a membership, so that was easy. We also had an old gas free standing stove. We put buckets and pans of water on it to heat for dishes and such.
@BarBaraPrz (23202)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@GardenGerty I had frozen pipes in my last house. I'd melt snow on the stove so I could have something to flush the toilet with.
@BarBaraPrz I have really appreciated this house. Nothing freezes. My last house it usually did not, but one winter it did, ruining the heater, air conditioner and two hot water heaters. I was glad for insurance.
@iamdahmmy (1870)
• Lagos, Nigeria
As a kid,I used to play in the rain..play with sand..roll tyres around the hood...
Given a chance, kids can entertain themselves. I am glad you had fun.
@iamdahmmy (1870)
• Lagos, Nigeria
@GardenGerty sure..I did
@thelme55 (18221)
Yes, I did play outside while raining. It was a good feeling. I did that dancing in the rain while in my Philippines garden a few years ago. My small nieces followed me dancing and playing in the rain when they saw me enjoying the rain. It was a lot of fun.
That is the best!! Fun with their aunt. I imagine the rain in the Philippines is warm.
@thelme55 (18221)
@GardenGerty yes, it was the best fun I had with my small nieces. The rain was indeed warm and refreshing after a hot sunny day.