To Be Honest or Not To Be Honest, That is the Question

Anniston, Alabama
People get so mad at me for being honest. I really don`t like hurting peoples feelings or making them mad. Would people like to me to be dishonest and say sweet things that are not true, stoke their ego, just to be liked? Be fake, fake and more disgusting fake all the time? Wanna know what makes people the maddest? When they whine about money and I ask "do you smoke?" Tony got lung cancer, stopped smoking cold turkey but he put that cigarette money in the bank, at the end of the year he had $3,600. Yeah! What will that money be spent on? His funeral. Just sayin....... what if he would have applied that money elsewhere, in 10 years $36,000 would have been what? I used to smoke but I quit 14 years ago, so how far did $50,000 go? At this point people hate me. Oh yes! I have been told "I really hate people who have the life I want." Then they really what to stab me when I say "Its all in what you are willing to give up to get what they want. So to be honest or not to be honest, that is the question.
The Civil Wars' official music video for 'Barton Hollow'. Click to listen to The Civil Wars on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/TheCivilWarsSpot?IQid=TCWBH As fea...
@hostessman (11074)
• Tucson, Arizona
i say just be honest, some people may not like to hear what is said but most will enjoy you being honest///
Or stab me.
@hostessman yes your right.Have a good evening
Many don't appreciate how hard others have worked. I like Dave Ramsey's expression, "Live like no one else so you can live like no one else."
I need to read his books, I have heard so much about him.
@andriaperry You might already know more than he does! I listen to him on the radio if I happen to be in the car at the right time. It is entertaining when people call in and their husband earns minimum wage and they are in debt because they Must send their kids to private school. He is good at bluntly stating the reality for them. ?? My guilty pleasure finding that entertaining. He does give thoughtful, helpful advice most of the time. He is quick to advise people to get rid of their vehicle in favour of a paid off beater. I think you have to look at what you will actually get for that car you have. I just hope people listen to his advice, but then think! He recommends NEVER owning a credit card. We happily used our points to fly to Florida. Worth it for us, we don't pay interest.
@paigea I always buy used, I drive a 2011 Kia I paid $2,800 . I do not own and never have owned a credit card.
@Bensen32 (3570)
I want you to lie and say sweet things about me ok, really I would rather people be honest, maybe sugar coat it a little. Honest but not go out of the way to make people feel bad. Does that make sense? I do smoke and don't even want to think about all the money I have spent over the years. I do enjoy it, at least sometimes I really enjoy a smoke but a lot of times it is just habit or out of boredom. But yea the 35 years I have smoke I probably could have bought a lot of other things with all that money.
I smoked 27 years before I quit I was up to 2 1/2 packs a day, I was seriously addicted.
@Bensen32 (3570)
@andriaperry oh dang, that is a lot of smoking, I hover around a pack a day. My grandmother use to smoke like 3-4 packs a day of kools and well drink like a case a day of Milwaukee's Best and she lived to be 82 and on my mom's side people living to their 80's is pretty long.
@Bensen32 Kools were my demon too, my grandmother lived to be 105 but she didnt smoke.
@myklj999 (27827)
• Olney, Illinois
Okay...to be honest, I came because I recognized The Civil Wars in the discussion preview and knew it would be this song.
LOL, gotta love the civil wars.
I like your honesty and I agree about money and smoking. And we all know about relationships etc that are bad and no amount of advice will change. Same whining different day, I usually avoid those it is a waste of time and energy. They just enjoy their misery or they are making it up, I am never sure which.
I think its real misery, I have seen it first hand.
@BelleStarr I have lived through hell too, one no one knows about. I grew up with just a dad that told me, when I asked for things, if you want that work for it. I have family that just cannot change.
@TheSojourner (21704)
Sometimes, it's not about the honest/dishonest, but in the brutality by which the honest is delivered. Or, at least, so I have been told. Walking that very thin line is nearly impossible, however. You never know trips the hair-trigger.
I have to say that being a landlady I try not to be rude, but how to you tell someone they are nasty and have to sweep and mop the floor?
@andriaperry There are some states where you wouldn't have a right to tell them. Truth.
@TheSojourner Glad I`m in Alabama!
to be or not to be is the question there.Honest plays a part.When to be honest depend if your not hurting anyone. This can be sugar coated as you say Good morning Andrea
Good morning Alfredo.
@andriaperry Good evening.French toast for dinner or breakfast.lol
@amadeo Both!
• Lenox, Georgia
I prefer to be treated the way I treat others. =) I am honest but in a nice way...or I try hard to be nice anyway. I'm far from perfect of course though.
Well, me too. But some people take anything as an attack when its not meant that way.
• Lenox, Georgia
@andriaperry Stop attacking me! Sorry totally had to.
• Walnut Creek, California
Same here. And sometimes I just bite my tongue.
My husband and I do not smoke and do not allow smoking in our house and that make some people mad. Will if you want to smoke do it before you come over or go outside and smoke.
No smoking in my house or car, I already got a couple cars that stink from smoking.
• Walnut Creek, California
@andriaperry I still smoke, but not in my car.
@TheHorse Most people I know smoke, but they respect that I don`t.
@Gillygirl (29973)
• Sutton, England
I certainly don't hate you. I like you JT20 There are people on here who get huffy even when they have asked for advice.
Whew! I thought it was just me.
@Gillygirl (29973)
• Sutton, England
@andriaperry There is often petulance. I can't be doing with it lil sis
@DocAndersen (4283)
You gotta be you. Smoking is bad news. I would personally prefer you be honest!
I can take any amount of criticism as long as it is outright praise :-) (kidding)
If I am not me who am I?
@DocAndersen Yes I know, you are wonderful like that.
@andriaperry It is hard to know what to do in situations. I think people would prefer honesty over not being honest but then they get very defensive so then I think it was not the right thing to do.
And this is why I moved to the woods.
@andriaperry I understand why you moved to the woods. I like staying close to home and not really being with lots of people.
@Hannihar Yes, I get tired of petting people who could care less about me and only what they can get.
@Nakitakona (4208)
Yes, that is the question. No one is honest. Even I am. I fooled myself.is there an honest person?
I am honest! I am not without sin, but I like to tell it like it is, or roll my eyes and walk away for those who cannot take it.
@andriaperry That's great.
@iamdahmmy (1847)
• Lagos, Nigeria
I like honest people..I hate people that lie to me just to make me feel good..I love people that say it the way it is...
Okay but don`t get mad when I do it!
@iamdahmmy (1847)
• Lagos, Nigeria
@LindaOHio (4467)
I have found that people on this site don't always want you to be honest. So it just depends on what the subject matter is. I'm usually honest; but I don't want to hurt someone's feelings either. I'm so sorry about Tony. One thing you've never said (at least as long as I've been here) is what relation he is to you? Spouse? Brother? Friend? Hugs! Why would people hate you? You are a likable person.
He is a cousin. Oh, no! People do hate me and have said so. LOL, can`t win`em all.
@LindaOHio (4467)
@andriaperry I think that's terrible! Just the fact that people would come out and say that without really knowing you!
It's better to be honest, as long as you can do it in a way that is not rude. What gets me is when people are being "honest" but just use it as a guise to be rude and demeaning.
Yes I agree but some people think disagreeing with them, about money especially, is being rude when its not.
@wolfgirl569 (15678)
• Marion, Ohio
I know many like that too. They want everyone else to make them feel good or give them something.
Tell them what they wanna hear.
Depending upon the situation, sometimes honesty is the best choice and in other situations, dishonesty works best.
I have been in both situations.
@CarolDM (28233)
I like your honesty. And I often wonder how people spend so much on cigs and then complain when they have no money. No sympathy! Love the video and music.
My sister is one.
Sometimes it depends upon the situation and who you are dealing with.
This is true, I have been cussed and stalked and seriously abused on here by one guy that is no longer in reality.