"Is it GOOD to PAY CHILDREN for doing HOUSEHOLD CHORES?"

When I was a young kid, my biological parents never give us money for doing household chores. For them, it is a way for their children to be responsible and independent. I personally think that it is a good way to discipline children. Nowadays, the children do household chores and the parents pay them. I am not sure if you are in favor of this. It seems that children will not do house tasks without any money to receive from their parents. "What is your call with this concern?" "Is it a good way for parents to do this?" Image Credit: cms-tc.pbskids.org
@josie_ (8954)
It's more of a bribe which leaves the parents vulnerable to blackmail by their children.
I used the same term "bribe". It's wrong to pay kids, they must learn that they have to help.
@josie_ I do agree with you. I had seen some kiddies who do this with their parents. I do agree that it is not also good for having a reward system, @LadyDuck
@cacay1 (39714)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck that is right, unless in school when kids help a teacher , there is a plus point but at home, wrong to pay them to a task given to them. That is a bad practice of corruption.
@rakski (32398)
I do not pay them to do household but I thank them and give them praise for doing it. I believe that they can use it for their future.
I personally think that it is supposed to be, my friend. I do think that it will be great for them to be responsible in the future.
@rakski (32398)
@Shavkat that is right.
@rakski I hope some parents will consider this concern in raising their kids.
No, it is not good, children must learn that they must help and not ask to be "bribed" to do what they have to do.
I do agree with you. It is not a good parenting way.
@May2k8 (9076)
I don't think there is a need to pay children, they have to learn discipline on time.
I do agree with you. We don't need to pay for them. We cannot even use the money as a reward system for them.
@cacay1 (39714)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Shavkat parents may buy books for them to read.
@cacay1 I think that it is a good idea.
@nanette64 (19065)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh hell no @Shavkat . Once you start 'paying' kids to do something; then it turns into blackmail. "Sure, I'll take out the trash if you give me $3. The way you and I grew up is the CORRECT way.
I agree. I had noticed that some kiddies turned to be so spoiled with this way of parenting. Some of my friends are having dilemmas now.
@nanette64 (19065)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Shavkat Oh you bet they are (friends). And it will get much worse as they get older too.
@nanette64 I agree. I had seen some of them disobeyed their parents. I am feeling so devo about this.
@wolfgirl569 (16423)
• Marion, Ohio
My kids got an allowance. But if chores were not done they did not get it. Kind of like a paycheck.
I think it is a good way. I am thinking that I can do this with our little Miss here.
@Janet357 (17166)
No. But rewarding from time to time is okay
I am planning to let my little niece have some coins and save them on her piggy bank. She can have them when doing something at h=ome.
@ParaTed2k (22967)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Yes, it is important to teach kids that their chores are just part of living as a family. On the other hand it is also good for kids to have money of their own to learn how to manage money. Both chores and allowance can be important parts of teaching our kids.
You have a point here. I think we can teach them to be responsible in doing the household chores and saving their own money.
@moonandstars (17068)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
My parents always gave me a brunch money but, never for the things I do in the house; that's insane.
It is defo insane. I felt like these parents are making monster kids.
@cacay1 (39714)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Yeah children are children what they only like is play
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Shavkat They are spoiling them, for sure.
@Porcospino (25561)
• Denmark
My parents sometimes gave us money when we were too young to work after school, but we never received that money as payment for chores.
The only thing that I can remember is my parents gave us money and saved it to a piggy bank. In fact, we do save it to have something we wanted like having novel books, toys and the like. But it is not for the household chores matter.
@Porcospino (25561)
• Denmark
@Shavkat I didn't have a piggy bank, but I had a box in my room when I kept small amount of the money that I received from my parents. One day my brother took one of the bills from the box. He was too young tp understand what money was. He just thought that the bill had a pretty picture
@Porcospino Actually, I used the word piggy bank. Locally, we use a 'bamboo bank.' It is quite not that fancy but it is better than having the piggy bank. One of the reasons, it is difficult to get the coins from this. Image Credit: salecrazythings.files.wordpress.com
@Sreekala (32069)
Children should learn works at home whether it is a girl or boy, they must know work for their own purposes. Then paying, not needed, they have to do their work for learning.
During the old days, most parents teach their kiddies to be responsible by doing household chores. Nowadays, some parents tend to be so lax on this.
@Sreekala (32069)
@Shavkat Parents can't be blamed dear. I am behind my children but they hardly interested. Sometime I really get angry. Younger one is more dependent, do much works if he feels
@Sreekala I do agree at some point. Some kiddies don't want to do this. But they must do it. Parents need to impose this, whether they like it or not.
We had to clean to have a clean home. My mom has always been super clean. We did get an allowance to use as we saw fit. My allowance taught me to budget and sacrifice.
I can relate to that, my friend. I was born with no silver spoon in my mouth. I had learned to handle money at a young age. It is being imposed during my childhood years.
@Shavkat I was poor all my life so I know that as well.
@sharon6345 It is nice that you can relate to me. That's the reason why I am working so hard lately. I wanted to secure my future as much as possible. God bless to us...
@JustBhem (52373)
• Davao, Philippines
I give money to my nieces and nephews for doing something for me since I cannot walk. Especially when it comes to buy something at the store, but I only gave less not too much. And I told them to sabe it for school
I think there is nothing wrong to give money to them. As long as, the children can use it as their savings.
@JustBhem (52373)
• Davao, Philippines
@Shavkat I keep reminding them always.
@JustBhem That's nice. I remembered how my parents do this to us before.
@few00cent (2185)
offering them appreciation and praising their work is more better than giving them money and sometimes give them their favorite food treat. I never got paid for doing house chores but my mom always appreciated me which kept me motivated.
I am into the old school way of disciplining the kiddies. For me, it is not good to give payment for their efforts in doing household chores. Since it would develop a bad habit for kids to ask money from their parents.
I am not sure about that,' it gives different results.
Indeed. There are always have pros and cons.
@Sojourn (5384)
My parents never gave me any money to do household chores,nor will I do that myself.
I agree with you. I think it is a simple way to raise a responsible child.
@Nakitakona (5442)
It is more advisable to pay them when they need money. Rather than give them the money for nothing.
I think the allowance can be best for them. I agree with you.
@Shavkat Yes, for they need it much.
@Nakitakona During my school days, I do have some extra cash by doing projects or homework of my classmates. It sounds bad for them because they do it for themselves. As for me, I took the advantage to have extra cash.
@arunima25 (20722)
• Bangalore, India
Children are a part of my household. They live here and are not guests. They have to help in household chores as their responsibility. I never pay them and I was never paid by my parents.
I cannot say anything but to agree. It seems that you still have the old practice in raising kiddies. We still do this at home. There will be no excuse with this matter.
@arunima25 (20722)
• Bangalore, India
@Shavkat I am happy that I have carried this legacy from my parents and grandparents. This will help my children in long run.
@arunima25 I do agree with that. My biological parents had passed on this family practice. Now, we are doing it to the younger generation.
@thelme55 (18440)
It is a wrong way of parenting a child. A kind of bribe. I was never paid at home when I was doing a chore as it was one way of learning to be responsible. It was a must for us children to help our mother doing household chores.
You have the same opinion as others. I do think it is not the right thing to do. I am sure the kids will be a monster for their parents in the future.
@thelme55 (18440)
@Shavkat those children will become money oriented workers.
@thelme55 I agree. I had seen some kids who will not household chores without the money to be given. That's really a bad thing for the parents.
@cacay1 (39714)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
At home the kids of my niece never received a pay when do some tasks at home. The tasks they do at home are for the kids training. Children should be taught the value of money.Paying them is a bad example of corruption.
It seems that you got my point, my friend. I totally agree with you that it is wonky.
@cacay1 (39714)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Shavkat thanks my friend.