Time to get rid of my old clothes

@lovebuglena (11173)
Staten Island, New York
I have some clothes in my closet that I will never wear. Either it no longer fits me or I am just not into it anymore. Every time I tell myself it is time to let it go I just cannot part with it and it remains taking up space in my closet. The time to get rid of it has been long overdue. How the heck do I finally pull the plug and do it? I don't have to throw it in the trash. I can donate it to the Salvation Army or some other clothing drive. It is still in good condition. Have you gone through this as well where you need to throw something out but you just can't do it?
I often go through that. It is hard to get rid of clothes. I kept some clothes that were too small for a long time. Then when I lost weight and they fit, I didn't like them. So, they were easy to get rid of. Some of the big clothes were easy to get rid of too.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
If I leave some stuff that I like but doesn't fit in hopes of fitting into them someday it may never happen.
@lovebuglena well, in my case several items were not worth saving. And moving from one home to the next!
I give my old stuff (too big) to my sister to sell on Poshmark. It is amazing what people will buy--used bathing suits, used leggings, used sneakers, etc.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
I don't know if I'd wear a used bathing suit...
@lovebuglena I wouldn’t or used shoes. People buy that stuff though! They buy tops, pants, shorts, sweaters, purses, etc. all used.
@CarolDM (32926)
I do this here and there, I keep a donation box nearby.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
If the quality is still good might as well donate instead of trashing it.
I gave away two large garbage bags of clothes last year to our clothing giveaway at church. It felt good to get rid of them. I did the same this year, but only had a small grocery bag. I'll do the same next year. It's good to get rid of them.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
Better to donate than throw in the garbage. Someone may need it.
@lovebuglena Yes, they might.
I honestly cannot go through my old clothes in my closet. I don't have the leisure time for it.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
Are you being lazy?
@lovebuglena I am not lazy. It just happened that time is not enough for the day. I am always loaded with work.
I've held on to a bunch of clothes for a loonnnng time - but this month I have been determined to clear out clothes and other stuff around the house. My letting-go was a domino effect from other projects here . . . if I wanted more space, I HAD to get rid of A LOT. My intentions of selling were just never going to happen. I've donated bags upon bags already . . . still working on getting more out!
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
The more of unwanted stuff you get rid of the more space you will have. And you will probably feel more liberated too.
@lovebuglena Definitely feeling more liberated . . . now I don't even have to think about it - out of sight, out of mind!
@rakski (34038)
I do clean up the closet twice a year, I usually sell it in garage sale or donate it
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
I've never tried selling any of my stuff.
@rakski (34038)
@lovebuglena I tried having a garage sale and it was okay.
If I can pass them on to someone or to a good cause then I find it a lot easier to get rid of old clothes.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
I don't have anyone I know to give stuff to, which makes it harder to get rid of stuff.
@lovebuglena Can you sell them on consignment or on Ebay? Sometimes it's not worth the bother.
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
I've gotten rid of those unwanted clothes sometime last month or so, and donated to charity. My friend only did it this week or so, and asked whether I've done it.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
That's nice of you. Maybe someone is in need of something to wear.
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@lovebuglena Yes, there are always needy kids, men and women out there..
@Nevena83 (29601)
• Serbia
I give some clothes to people who need it, and sometimes I sell it.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
I've never tried selling it. If something is brand new that is a good idea.
@Nevena83 (29601)
• Serbia
@lovebuglena Try it, it's a good opportunity to earn extra money.
I toss mine in the trash. I am not lugging anything to any boxes and I am not holding anything until they pick it up. If someone is around that can fit it more power to them.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
In NYC I've seen some places have drop-off bins or whatever they are called and you just put the clothes there. I think there is one near my house actually.
@lovebuglena I have one around the corner. I am not going out in the heat for that. I can leave mine in the hall and someone can take them.
It's good to purge once in awhile.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
It sure is.
@LindaOHio (6880)
Yup! But I finally got over that a few years ago and have been donating 6-12 boxes of "stuff" every year to Goodwill. I still have my clothing to go through.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
Wow! That's a lot of stuff.
@yanzalong (13259)
It's been on my mind. I will get rid of my old clothes as well.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
Good idea. Why waste closet space if you are never gonna wear it?
@Zelmarq (12267)
• Cebu City, Philippines
I give some to my sisters and mom and some to a refuge house. But still I keep buying thats why my closet is always full.
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
You need a bigger closet then.