It has been suggested I write this as a post, so here goes

@cperry2 (1413)
Hmm, about me? Well, I live in the beautiful state of Oregon, about a mile from the Pacific Coast. If I open my windows, I can hear the ocean. No view, but that would have cost me a lot more money than I could afford. My wife and I volunteer for the State Parks, and for Hatfield Science Center in Newport. Enjoy working with kids. I have led tide pool walks, nature walks, and geology talks on the beach. We, my wife and I, do talks at many of the coastal state parks talking about the grey whales.
@sissy15 (7150)
That all sounds really interesting. My son is really into all things science and nature related and would be fascinated in the things you mentioned. He is especially into geology we have a goal to eventually take him to Yellowstone due to his fascination with it all and that's the one place he really wants to go. I have had to learn a bit about some of it to keep up with him and his billions of questions. It sounds like you live a fairly active life.
@cperry2 (1413)
Good for you. I don't know how old your son is, but he may love the Junior Ranger Program there at Yellowstone, my grandson certainly did. (actually, most parks have some JR program to emphasize the attributes of the park) At the visitor center, ask about it, Generally they give a booklet that has questions about things in the park, The idea is to explore the park to find the answers. When that is brought back to the rangers, they will do a 'swearing in ceremony' in front of whoever is in the visitor center, give him a badge and shake his hand. It is cute and the kids generally love it. (I know 80 year olds who participate in these JR programs and wear their badges proudly.) As for me, I spent a decade living in a debilitating depression. The only way I broke the cycle I was in was to force myself up and into life. I stay as busy as I can because I fear sliding back into that pit of doom and gloom. I nearly did not get out of it last time.
@sissy15 (7150)
@cperry2 My son is eight but we won't be going for at least a few years. My son is in cub scouts and he really gets into it all. He is officially a bear scout now and he says he plans to stay in through boy scouts. He has a goal to actually be an eagle scout but we'll see. They do a lot with nature and that keeps him active in it until we can eventually get him to Yellowstone. I understand depression but mine is a more milder case but my anxiety is pretty severe so that keeps me from doing things I'd like to do. It's good that you've found a way to keep yourself moving forward.
@cperry2 (1413)
@sissy15 Overall, I love the scouting program. I learned so much when I was in it. There are some aspects I see today that bother me, but I still think it is a wonderful program to teach kids survival and leadership skills. I actually like that it has been opened to girls as well. (I know some don't like this.)
@velvet53 (19578)
• Palisade, Colorado
Very interesting. You and your wife are so knowledgeable about many things. I would love to hear one of your talks about grey whales. How long have you been volunteering? I live in Colordo myself. It is a pleasure to meet you.
@cperry2 (1413)
we've been volunteering for just over six years now. We started out just cleaning the campground. That wasn't so much fun, but when we moved to ORegon state parks we changed over to interpretive roles. We both love that.
@velvet53 (19578)
• Palisade, Colorado
@cperry2 It sounds exciting to me. Where are you originally from?
@cperry2 (1413)
@velvet53 Born in Arkansas, spent my teens to early 30's in Texas, then to California, and for now, in Oregon
@akalinus (27741)
That is so awesome. It sounds like you have the perfect jobs if you enjoy the beach and the ocean.
@cperry2 (1413)
I think it's perfect, the pay sucks, (we are retired) but the people are pretty cool and the sights, OMG.
@akalinus (27741)
@cperry2 I get Social Security that pretty much sucks but is a lot better than a lot of people get and I don't have an awesome job like that. I pretty much look at other people's trailers.
@cperry2 (1413)
@akalinus one does not need a trailer or RV to volunteer. We live in a house now and I still work with the parks and with Hatfield Marine Science Center. Could volunteer at the Oregon Coast Aquarium, but they only accept new volunteers who start in the winter, usually when we are out of state. I've found there are dozens of places that accept volunteers. But we are busy enough already. I also like to take pictures and write stories in my free time.
Impressive. When you take walks please be very careful, I've read that a lot of trappers are careless and leave their traps where someones pet or a child might be injured or worse. Whales and such are so majestic.
@cperry2 (1413)
Generally, we stay on the trails. Of course in the tidal pools there are no trails. One has to be much more concerned with the brown seaweed which gives off an oily substance. (It is being harvested in some places for use in hand lotion) That stuff is like walking on a forty-five degree slope covered in smooth ice. I have fallen a number of times. Shattered the screen of my cell phone on one fall and broke the attached lens from the body of my Nikon camera on another. (not to mention bruises and such)
I hope you don't fall anymore @cperry2 Sorry you got banged up. What kind of Nikon? I have the D3200. Sorry your lens broke, those aren't cheap.
@cperry2 (1413)
@rebelann D5200 And the lens was actually okay, the mounting broke on both the camera and the lense. Yeah, cost of repair nearly $450 for both. Almost enough to have just replaced the camera.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Nice to meet you here and glad you have joined myLot Clint. Thanks for your post here. I live in Colorado and have lived a lot of different places.
@cperry2 (1413)
So how is it that you have found yourself in Colorado?
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@cperry2 My Mother (RIP) moved here because of a wicked cousin that fooled her, so I eventually moved here to be near her. So Mama is the reason. Now she is buried here.
@cperry2 (1413)
@TiarasOceanView It is hard to lose a loved one, I've lost my mother too, nearly ten years ago.
@thelme55 (19463)
Welcome to Mylot! Oh, I can imagine the sounds of the ocean. You live in a place where I want to be.
@cperry2 (1413)
I never thought I would want to live near the ocean, until we volunteered up here. We both fell in love with the area.
@thelme55 (19463)
@cperry2 I am sure it is a nice place to live near the ocean.
@manikarnika (2785)
Wow...It's really wonderful.Many won't get chance to enjoy these nature view.I too like these atmosphere very much,But you are very lucky.Hope in future will get chance to see or not
@cperry2 (1413)
I do not know how far you are from your coastal regions, might be you have some interesting places there to look at.
@cperry2 I am so far from coastal Region.But we go for picnic to seashore occasionally.
If I visit Oregon, I will certainly want you and your wife as my guide! Sounds fascinating. I grew up on the beaches of Connecticut and now enjoy living in South Florida on the water.
@cperry2 (1413)
That could probably be arranged. We do some travels in the summer time doing presentations at other parks. Not to mention visiting the kids and grand kids down in California.
@parpande (1260)
• Bangalore, India
@cperry2 Whenever I would imagine a beach I feel the weather would be humid as it is most coastal regions of my country.
@cperry2 (1413)
The humidity here is higher than most inland spots but the ambient temperature is usually no higher than 65F (18 C) That makes things very comfortable for me. On those rare occasions our temps rise into the 80F range (26+ C) it is indeed unpleasant.
Welcome to myLot and I hope you have a great time here. There are lots of friendly folk here. Good to hear about your work with the grey whales. We stopped off on the Nullarbor Plain (Australia) to watch a number of whales (humpbacks mostly I think) cavorting near the coast. I'll add a photo but it's hard to get good photos of whales. :)
@cperry2 (1413)
your not kidding about getting good photos. For the few that I have, I think I have at least ten times that many that fail.
@VivaLaDani13 (32542)
• Perth, Australia
@cperry2 Thank you for sharing some information about you. I love these types of posts as we all get to learn more about each other.
@smileyhema (3036)
That's so nice to know about you and your interest. Keep it going.. :-)
@lovebuglena (11173)
• Staten Island, New York
I thought Newport was in Rhode Island. Guess it is in other states too. I would love to live by the ocean.
@cperry2 (1413)
Newport Oregon, is on the Central Coast. It is named after Newport RI I do believe. We have a Dallas, Oregon, a Milwalkee, Oregon, and a Springfield, Oregon as well.
@cperry2 The town of Heidelberg is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Germany. There are 12 (!) Heidelbergs in the USA.
@cperry2 (1413)
@MALUSE and how many Paris' are there? I know Texas has one.
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
Sounds cool. Is that all you talk about, lol. I love dolphins, whales and all sea creatures. They are God's beautiful creations and much more genteel with their own species. Welcome to the lots. Again.
@cperry2 (1413)
Is that all we talk about? Mmm, not really but that is what we are asked to return to talk about. As far as genteel with their own species, you are right they don't usually go trying to kill each other off. Not usually anyway.
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@cperry2 Really? How about penguins in Madagascar?
@cperry2 (1413)
@ihasaquestion Hmm, I have zero information on those critters. I also realize lots of creatures will prey on one another, Orcas will kill whales, (hence their name killer whales). I think I remember reading about chimps getting into territorial battles too. I guess, there are species who do murder one another after all.
@evans777 (944)
Oh. That's nice. So many places in the world I've never been
@cperry2 (1413)
Me too. I've done little travel outside of the US. Spent a little time in Mexico, Less time in Canada. But that's about it. Think I might like to see Australia, New Zealand, maybe Thailand, Japan and Singapore. But just a dream. Takes money I do not have.
@evans777 (944)
@cperry2 at least you've been to two places
@cperry2 (1413)
@evans777 I suppose I have. I am grateful for the memories and the photos I took help me remember them. Now, I am focused on being happy with where I am and what I have.
sounds like a lot of fun & a great place to live to enjoy life & nature.
@cperry2 (1413)
it is, though at times I feel like I have to find new things to do else I start taking it for granted.
@cperry2 yea but it's always good to just relax & enjoy what you have in the moment.
@cperry2 (1413)
@hardtimes1958 I agree 100%. I like to live in the moment, especially since that is the only time we can live. For me, reaching out for new experiences is a part of that living in the here and now.
@cherriefic (5213)
Sounds like a relaxing place to live.
@cperry2 (1413)
It is except during tourist season. The population normally triples to quadruples between Memorial day (may 27) and Labor Day (September 2). Then the locals try to stay out of town or if they must go, use the back streets instead of the main roads.
@cperry2 That's the issue as well around my place as well since it is a tourist destination.
Good afternoon.very nice to meet you Clint Perry.Your life there sounds wonderful. Sounds like a very interesting job talking about the grey whales. Our access to the beach is only or less an hour.We just got back from a wonderful day.The water not too bad. Hope to hear more soon.thank you.Fredo
@cperry2 (1413)
I love the beach and walking on it. I miss being able to swim in the ocean. But the water here is about 53 degrees at best, well that's been slowly slipping upward. But still way too cold for frolicking.
@cperry2 Same here Maine water is cold.Does not warm up around August. What state do you live in?
@CarolDM (32754)
Welcome and sounds like oyu live in a beautiful place. Walks o the beach in the evening are the best.
@cperry2 (1413)
Here in this area, night time walks on the beach are interesting, with the wind whipping across the waves, the ambient temp in the 50's (in the spring and summer) it can be quite cold. But still it's fun.
@CarolDM (32754)
@cperry2 Cold is better than hot in my opinion.
@1creekgirl (16755)
Welcome to myLot! Sounds like you and your wife have some very enjoyable activities.
@cperry2 (1413)
In the summer time, things can get a bit hectic but we love the discussions and the people who stick around after to ask more questions.