Kangaroo Tail Soup

Bunbury, Australia
In the comments on one of my discussions, I was talking with Jeff (@moffittjc) about kangaroos and I happened to mention kangaroo tail soup. Jeff asked if it was a real dish and I was able to assure him that it was although it is very rare to see kangaroo meat on offer in supermarkets or butchers’ shops. However, yesterday, in one of the towns we passed through, I saw kangaroo tails in the freezer at the end of the dog food section. Perhaps they are regarded mostly as a pet food. I did find several recipes using kangaroo tails on Google. To make a soup, you basically use any meat and vegetable soup recipe but substituting pieces of kangaroo tail in place of whatever ever other meat you might use. The photo shows kangaroo tails in the freezer of the shop.
• Belews Creek, North Carolina
Some days I'm rather glad I don't need food to survive. Next thing I know, you're going to be telling me about Lego minifigure soup!
@owlwings (41430)
• Cambridge, England
Only if it makes you go weak at the knees - that's called Mini-Straw-Knee soup.
• Belews Creek, North Carolina
Sometimes I'd quite like to be a vegetarian. I don't think I'd ever succumb to eating Lego minifigure soup though.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
I don't know why, but seeing that photo of the kangaroo tails makes me a little nauseous. Maybe it's because I can't get out of my mind the fact that they look like giant rat tails. haha I don't know what would be worse for me, going to Thailand and eating monkey brains, or going to Australian and eating kangaroo tail.
When my husband lived in Alaska he was given some breaded and fried moose brains. He did not know what it was. It was good, until he knew, then it was not good for him anymore.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@GardenGerty That's funny how if we eat something and we don't know what it is, it will tasted good to us. But the second we find out what it is, we suddenly develop a repulsive response to it! haha
I'll remember when you visit not to offer you any kangaroo tail soup. We'll just have steaks off one. :)
@Starkinds (8142)
I am first time hearing that kangaroo's tail use for a soup
Have you heard of ox-tail soup? It would be made in a similar manner.
@Starkinds (8142)
@JudyEv ohh thanks
@DocAndersen (6665)
Judy, I have to ask. Do Australian basketball eat this before a game, because it gives them hops?
I think many basketballers would be quite averse to eating this even if it did give them the hops.
@owlwings I think this would be the more common nourishment.
@JudyEv i bet that makes the coach hopping mad!
@Janet357 (22554)
at first you wouldnt think it is a kangaroo's tail. lol
@owlwings (41430)
• Cambridge, England
I hope it didn't bring anything else to mind!
I had to look twice at it to work out what it was.
@bagarad (13984)
• Paso Robles, California
I wonder what kangaroo tastes like. I can't quite fathom eating it. Somehow it just doesn't seem right to me. Kind of like eating horsemeat. Not sure why I feel that way, though.
@owlwings (41430)
• Cambridge, England
I think I might have the same sort of objection to eating, as you say, horse meat or guinea pig or any of those animals to which we often respond with "How cute!". Even that doesn't nail it, though, because we (well, the carnivores amongst us) eat lamb and still think that those little animals are 'cute'.
@owlwings Also lambs are cute and calves too, but we eat baby animals.
I do understand and I can't get my head around eating horsemeat either but it's very common (and popular I think) on the continent.
I never even thought of the possibility of kangaroo soup. I have a really small appetite so those long tails might be too much for our household.
You might need a big dog to help you get rid of the bones.
Have you eaten kangaroo meat - tail or other parts - yourself? If yes, what is the taste like, if not why not, if I may ask?
I have eaten kangaroo steaks and the soup although I haven't had the soup for a long time. The meat has quite a strong flavour. The best I can do is to say it tastes quite 'gamey' although I haven't tasted game too often either. But often others say it tastes a gamey taste so I'm happy to go along with them. It's not a meat I would choose if more common meats were available.
@wolfgirl569 (19939)
• Marion, Ohio
I had never heard of eating the tails. I had heard they were sometimes used for meat.
I think the tails are only ever used for soup. They do have steaks and other cuts from the body.
That is weird. But there is an overpopulation of roos so why not make practical use of those exterminated.
I suppose it's no weirder than eating guinea pigs or scorpions. It all depends on what you're used to.
@Jackalyn (7481)
• Oxford, England
Some shops here had kangaroo for a while but it never caught on. To me it is like eating a cat.. I guess taste depends on where you are from and what you are used to and how you view the animal.
I think it depends on what you're used to too. In South America, guinea pigs are raised as food just like chickens are but I wouldn't fancy eating one of them.
@xFiacre (8272)
@judyev Well if oxtail soup is acceptable why not kangaroo tail soup? We are quite strange finding one animal acceptable to eat and another not.
I agree. It's just a matter of what you're used to and what your culture deems acceptable.
• Pamplona, Spain
Having lived over there my Husband did try Kangaroo Tail Soup but was not very taken with it very much.
I didn't really enjoy it either. I've had kangaroo steaks too but would much prefer pork or lamb.
• Pamplona, Spain
@JudyEv He said it was like eating a mixture of pork and beef that sort of taste. That did not really tell me anything except for the fact that I kept seeing "Skippy" and could not even bear to think of it being anything just "Skippy The Bush Kangaroo".
@lovinangelsinstead21 It's always hard to try to explain what anything tastes like in words. And I do understand about Skippy.
no doubt such'd be nutritious, but i jest don't think i could eat such. o'er the past century though, 't seems many 've forgone the use 'f e'ery part 'f a critter they kill - wasteful 't best. bein' 100% vegan jest keeps lookin' 'n soundin' better'n better!
I can understand your stance. I can go along with vegetarian but vegan goes against the grain (so to speak) with me.
@JudyEv i'd prolly need to 'gree with ya, ms. judy. i tried that cashew "cheese" 'n 'twas purty disgustin', lol. they called 't "artisan", i called 't blah :)
@crazyhorseladycx Some foods become fashionable but I do wonder how folks can enjoy them.
@JustBhem (59874)
• Davao, Philippines
Kangaroos tail for soup?
Yes, it would be similar to ox-tail soup.
@JustBhem (59874)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv Have you tried it?
@JustBhem Yes, but a long time ago.
@Gillygirl (35923)
• Sutton, England
No Judy, I could not bear thought pf eating a cute Kangaroo
But do you eat cute little lambs? and little calfy-walfys?
@Gillygirl (35923)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv Yes, but that is normal.
@Gillygirl Haha - it's normal to you but it may not be to others.
I suppose it is used mainly for soups because it is chewy. I have no idea of the taste.
There is mostly bone in a tail too so it would be similar to ox-tail. It has quite a strong, gamey taste.
@JudyEv I like ox-tail, there is a typical Roman dish made with ox-tail, very good (coda di bu alla Vaccinara).
@LadyDuck I guess centuries ago they didn't like to waste anything. I think they make something out of pigs' cheeks too, don't they?
@kobesbuddy (79179)
• East Tawas, Michigan
They do the same thing in the US, with horse meat being considered dog food:(
21h
True but it's a delicacy in some European countries.
@kobesbuddy (79179)
• East Tawas, Michigan
19h
@JudyEv No different than ox-tail soup, some people travel for miles to enjoy this specialty:)
@averygirl72 (16884)
Kangaroo tail soup? It surprise me. I don't like to try it
It's not much different to ox-tail soup I guess.
@averygirl72 (16884)
@JudyEv Yes it's more common here
@Nevena83 (31292)
• Serbia
Oh, I couldn't try it.
But you eat deer I guess? It's just a matter of what you're used to really.
@Nevena83 (31292)
• Serbia
@JudyEv No, I've never eaten wild meat.