Walking to school over a causeway

Bunbury, Australia
We visited the no-longer-existing settlement of Tenindewa yesterday. There is a tiny hall there which the community makes use of from time to time. Across a small salt lake behind the hall is a memorial to the one-room school that was there. The school had a chequered history and was often closed for want of sufficient pupils or lack of a teacher. To get to the school, a farmer had laid a causeway of stones. You can see it in the photo. At the site there are testimonials from children who were piggy-backed from time to time by older children. In case you don’t know the term, to piggy-back someone is to have them ride on your back.
so many small settlements shut down o'er the years. i find 't quite sad, but no doubt a necessity. thanks fer the story 'f young'uns helpin' each other o'ver such. prolly a bit treacherous fer the wee'uns when flood waters came through.
There were some nice testimonials on the walls of the little shelter and a few photos of the school-children from all those years ago.
@JudyEv oh how wonderful they've that there! i hope that such's maintained fer the future generations to see. the lil red schoolhouse i tended, turned 'nto many thingies o'er the years. e'en a blue flea market/roadside farmers market. last time i 'twas'p that way - all 'twas gone. they'd put a strip mall 'n tons 'f concrete :(
@crazyhorseladycx They do tend to try to keep the older buildings here now. There is more awareness of how important it is to keep at least some of the past alive.
Piggyback rides are fun! It is sad when settlements have to disappear for whatever reason.
Many of our smaller towns have virtually disappeared and others are hanging on by a whisker.
@JudyEv . I don’t see much of that here.
So there is nothing left other than the causeway?
They've erected a small shelter where the school-house used to me but that's about it.
Well, at least it's something @JudyEv
@rebelann There are some interpretive signs which are always interesting to read.
It was a difficult way to reach school and those older boys were really nice to have younger boys ride on their back.
It was interesting to read the stories written by some who went to school there - how they had to walk rain, hail or shine. They weren't allowed to miss school except in really exceptional circumstances.
@JudyEv When you think that in our days kids complain for an inch of snow.
@LadyDuck My sister rode a pony and my brother had a bike. They had to ride 4 miles to school.
@DeborahDiane (27624)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - What a wonderful glimpse into the Australian past! Today, they showed video on our news of kangaroos in Australia hopping through a snow covered field. Very cool!
Did they really? I think some parts of Australia are having their first snow for a number of years.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - It was a very cool video. There must have been 40 or 50 kangaroos in it. I am not sure who took the video ... an Australian or a tourist. But, it was fun to watch.
@DeborahDiane We saw it today on FB. Vince called me to watch it.
@JustBhem (59874)
• Davao, Philippines
Looks like an isolated place to me.
Yes, it is very isolated now.
@JustBhem (59874)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv Looks creepy too.
@JustBhem It's not really creepy. It's probably that it's just something quite foreign to you.
@Gillygirl (35923)
• Sutton, England
It looks a tranquil place and it's sad that such a settlement closed. I guess the causeway could be dangerous if it flooded
Yes, the rocks would have been slippery too.
@Gillygirl (35923)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv Amazing how they coped back then
@Gillygirl Kids and adults were brought up tough back in those days.
It seems to be a place that is off the beaten track.Are there any schools over there now ?
There are schools within a relatively short distance. School buses now pick up the farm children and take them to the nearest schools.
@JudyEv It seems that great changes have taken place now over there.
@changjiangzhibin89 Better transportation has made a huge difference in these areas.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
Piggyback rides are awesome! Well, for the person who is riding on the back! lol Being a big strong guy, I am usually the one carrying the person on my back!
They were fun that's for sure. And the strong guys were always needed.
That does not look like a fun walk at all.
It must have ruined their shoes from time to time.
What a mess,,we use the term piggy back here too.
I thought piggy back was probably quite common but you never can tell.
@DocAndersen (6665)
that is an interesting story. I am always curious about why schools stop being schools (i was a teacher many years ago).
In this case, they ran out of pupils. Some districts would ask parents to start children before they were really old enough, just to keep the school open. Sometimes a teacher wasn't available and I guess as transport improved and school-buses became more common, less schools were needed.
@wolfgirl569 (19939)
• Marion, Ohio
That walk would make me skip school
Skipping wasn't an option in those days unless there were exceptional circumstances.
@crossbones27 (26476)
• Redlands, California
That is crazy, looks like some tough terrain to navigate. Amazing what we complain about now.
It was just a bit rough although for much of the year there would have been water lying over most of it.
What a long desolate walk.
Do you think so? I guess it looks that way but it was the norm for many children in these more remote areas.
@owlwings (41430)
• Cambridge, England
Amazingly, for such a small and, as you put it, "no-longer-existing" settlement, it has it's own website with a history, people, places and events! Presumably, there is still something there, since you visited it and remark that the community make use of the hall from time to time. I found the history quite interesting and I wished that I had more time to explore the website!
History and stories of this small WA farming community
Oh wow! How about that? There is the tiny hall and the notice there says it's made good use of then, at a short distance is the shelter commemorating the school. It used to be a well-used railway siding with graziers bringing sheep and cattle to the holding yards then trucking them (by train) to markets further south. This is the steel cut-out which stands at the old siding. There are actually two cut-outs at this site.
@yanzalong (15131)
In villages, usually parents piggy back their children when they go to markets.
It's always fun for the children to have a piggy back. I used to enjoy it too.
For how long did the children have to walk? How long is this causeway?
The causeway would be about 300 metres from the little shop and most would have walked from there. So I guess it wasn't that far but they were expected to go whatever the weather. If numbers dropped too often, the government would have shut the school down.