From the Urban Wilderness by MyLotter Rachel

Bunbury, Australia
I had intended to post this some months ago but didn’t. Rachel Lovejoy (@Raelove) has been absent from myLot for quite some time but has now returned so it was a good prompt to get my act together. Welcome back, Rachel. A long time back, I purchased a book written by Rachel. The book is called ‘From the Urban Wilderness: Life in the Southern Maine Woods’ and is a series of essays enhanced by beautifully crafted photographs. I wrote about it briefly when it arrived but since then I’ve had the chance to finish it and to re-read much of it. The essays are divided into four ‘seasons’ and were particularly interesting to me as the natural world in that part of the cosmos is so different to what I know so well and love in south-west Western Australia. I particularly loved the photos of autumn with the vibrant colours of the leaves. As I’ve said before about Rachel’s book, it is best savoured a few pages at a time, like a good wine, and in quiet moments. The essays are very reflective, at least I found them so. I can thoroughly recommend From the Urban Wilderness to all nature-lovers out there.
@sallypup (32946)
• Moses Lake, Washington
The cover invites the reader in for a more thorough peek. Thanks for telling us about this book.
It's very professionally done and the photos are really attractive.
@kobesbuddy (82506)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Maine is one of the most beautiful states, in the U.S. Especially during the autumn, when all those maple trees are loaded with a full array of colorful leaves! I didn't know that Rachel had comprised a book, how wonderful:)
I know Maine has a very good reputation as a beautiful state.
@Raelove (18292)
• Saco, Maine
@kobesbuddy Maine is indeed a spectacular place to be during the autumn. And maples aren't the only ones who strut their stuff. Ashes and poplars turn a bright yellow, oaks turn orange, while beeches turn yellow then copper. Together with the maples, they literally take my breath away.
@Raelove (18292)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Maine is very lush in deciduous and evergreen trees. Roughly 90% of the state's land mass is woodland, higher than any other state, with the bulk of it being toward the western hills and north toward Aroostook County. The fact that we get so much rain and snow here accounts for it, and prolonged droughts are very rare. The state also incorporates many elements that other states are known for singly: the forests, of course; more coastland than California; mountains, lakes, rivers, and streams. And because it's a temperate states, each season offers different things to different people all year round.
@yanzalong (15998)
I think the book is worth reading.
Yes, I certainly enjoyed it.
That is so nice you were able to read her book. There are quite a few authors here at mylot.
Yes, we're well off as far as authors go.
That sounds very interesting, im glad you enjoyed it
Thanks. I'd always enjoyed Rachel's writings so I was keen to buy the book.
@rakski (36875)
that is nice.
Thanks. I enjoyed the book.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv lovely review and a welcome return for @Raelove
@Raelove (18292)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you, Arthur.
You do miss people when they leave for whatever reason. Sometimes it's a while but eventually it hits you that you haven't seen their name appearing.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv yes, there are a few absent friends at present - always a worry they might not come back
geesh, i must'a missed this whilst i 'twas 'way fer so long. sounds right'p my alley. i bet the photography 'tis beautiful. love they she set't to the four seasons. those're quite prominent 'p'n that part 'f the country.
I know Maine is renowned for its autumn colours.
@JudyEv oh yes! i've oft wondered why i ne'er 've ventured to that part 'f the country? i 'twas shocked to find that new york state 's many beautiful waterfalls - my main weakness, lol. perhaps one day i'll road trip the u.s. 'n see all 'f these places 'f great beauty'n wonder.
@Raelove (18292)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv My best and most memorable experience with Maine's fall colors was when I went north to Fort Kent, which is on the Canadian border. The topography along the way was very hilly, with deep gullies climbing hill after hill. Each time I'd crest another hill, I was literally drowing in color on all sides. It was very 3-dimensional, and my eyes couldn't take it all in at once.
@ilocosboy (44633)
Really nice, now I feel proud many mylotters are book authors.
We have some very talented people on here.
@ilocosboy (44633)
I agree
Thank you for that wonderful review of Rachel's book.
It has been on my conscience for some time because I said I'd write a review but then didn't.
@JudyEv Now you can breathe easy. It's a wonderful review and I know she appreciates it.
@DeborahDiane (28039)
• Laguna Woods, California
Oh my goodness! It sounds like a wonderful book and I am glad you are being so supportive of her project!
I don't buy many new books but I'm glad I bought this one.
The Urban Wilderness sounds like a good book to read.
I certainly enjoyed it.
@DocAndersen (7829)
that is an incredible review. The greatest words an author can hear it is best savored a few pages at a time!
@JudyEv i love books that I read, then go off for a bit and then come back.
@DocAndersen And ones that will stand reading more than once are handy too.
@JudyEv i have read Tolkein's books, most of them multiple times!
@noni1959 (5735)
The book sounds amazing. I love nature. I live in the forest and nw up at the lake enjoying a fire. I popped on for a minute but getting back off until I get home.
We have natural bush around our place and it's one of the many things we love about living here.
@noni1959 (5735)
@JudyEv It sounds so wonderful where you are.
@noni1959 We are very lucky to live in such a nice place.
@valmnz (15781)
• New Zealand
You've written a wonderful review there Judy. And it has made me realise just how little some of us know about our fellow myLot members.
Thanks. And of course you're an author as well. How many books have you published now, Val? I know you were working on a new one. How is that coming along?
@valmnz (15781)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv writing has been on hold over the last few months, brain has shut down for now. But prior to that I was working on two more 'real' books plus a couple of potential ebooks. One day .....
@valmnz Hopefully the muse will return stronger and more insistent than ever.
@CarolDM (40806)
How wonderful for you to share this book with us. Would love to finish a book one day. And have always wanted to visit Maine. A trip to the New England coast would be beautiful.
Our friends went to the east coast specifically to see the autumn colours.
@CarolDM (40806)
@JudyEv I know a lot will come to the Smoky mountains here in Tennessee. They are incredible.
I remember she mentioned the book, I am sure that it is a very interesting reading.
I enjoyed it very much.
@JudyEv I love to read about the changing of seasons in different countries.
@oahuwriter (9073)
Where did you get the book...amazon?
Yes, that was the best deal. Then Rachel sent me her autograph that I can paste into the book.
@JudyEv How wonderful!
51m
Thank you for sharing this, it does sound like a good read.
22m
I certainly enjoyed it.
22h
Thanks for the recommendation.
3h
You're very welcome.