Back Home After Four Months in a Hotel

Photo of our local beach property of author; all rights reserved.
Laguna Woods, California
Yes, it's true! After four months of living in a nearby hotel while construction was going on at our home following a slab leak, we are finally back home. I still have boxes to unpack, dishes to put back in the kitchen cabinets, food to replace and lots to do, but we are gradually getting there. What a relief to be sleeping in our own bed again and have more than one room to live in. Of course, I will miss the daily maid service and the delicious breakfasts! I have had time to keep up my routine of walking at the beach several times a week, and that has been pleasant.
As the old saying goes.. "There's no place like home" . I'm sure sleeping in your own bed is wonderful and I'm happy to hear that you're back home
• Laguna Woods, California
We are so happy to be back home. That was too long to spend in a hotel.
Your home will feel like a palace to you now. So many rooms, so much space!
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, you are right. It is not a very large place, but compared to a hotel room, it feels huge! It is nice to have more than one room!
@DeborahDiane There are countries where very many families live in one room forever because of the housing shortage. Russia is one of them. You can find this especially in the big cities. It's unimaginable for us.
• Laguna Woods, California
@MALUSE - Yes, that is true. In fact, many homeless families in the United States have been moved into one room in old motels in order to get them off the street. I reminded myself of that when we were staying in the hotel. Things could be worse. I could have been in that situation permanently. I know how fortunate I am to have several rooms to call home.
@dodo19 (37745)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Oh my goodness!! That's quite a long time to live in a hotel. You must be so happy to be living back home once again.
• Laguna Woods, California
It is soooo nice to be back home. It got exhausting after a while to be in a hotel room for so long.
@dodo19 (37745)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@DeborahDiane I can really imagine how exhausting it must have been. At least now you're home and you can relax a little.
• Laguna Woods, California
@dodo19 - Yes, it is wonderful to be home. I think we both feel a lot more relaxed now.
@kareng (18193)
Getting back in my own bed would be the best part. So happy your family is back at home.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, we love our bed and we are so happy to have it back again. The hotel was fun at first, but we grew tired of it after a while.
@kareng (18193)
@DeborahDiane I can image. We stayed in a little camper when our house got water in it back in the 80's. It was okay at first but then got old fast.
• Laguna Woods, California
@kareng - Yes, I can understand that. We used to have a little camper which we stayed in occasionally on trips. But, I do not think we would have liked staying in it for months, any more than we liked staying in a hotel room for months. It is great to be home.
@rakski (36875)
Wow, that is a great news. Nothing beats home!
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree! There is no place like home!
@rakski (36875)
@DeborahDiane yes, I am glad you are home now
@CarolDM (40806)
I know you are so glad to be home!
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, we are really happy to be back home, again. What a relief!
@CarolDM (40806)
@DeborahDiane Home sweet home!
@1creekgirl (17627)
Wow, I didn't know you were going through all that! I know you're thankful to be back home.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, the past few months have been exhausting, but it is a relief to be back home.
@1creekgirl (17627)
@DeborahDiane As they say, there's no place...
@valmnz (15781)
• New Zealand
I imagine the hotel living was a novelty a first, but I would definitely miss my own home after a while.
• Laguna Woods, California
You are exactly right. It was a novelty at first, but it eventually grew tiresome! We are happy to be home.
Hope you enjoy your Home Sweet Home.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, we have been so happy to be here for the past few days. It is not a very big place, but it seems huge after being in a hotel!
Welcome back. That's great news. It's true. There is nothing quite like your own bed.
• Laguna Woods, California
You are absolutely right. We are sleeping better already!
Oh that must be a wonderful feeling! Enjoy every inch of that home that is NOT the hotel that you've been staying in, I'm sure you will.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, we are really enjoying being back home. What a relief to have the hotel stay behind us!
• Peoria, Arizona
Home is the best place to be! Glad you can go back and finally settle back in.
• Laguna Woods, California
We are so happy to be back home. What a relief!
• Sonora, California
Glad you are finally back Into your own home!
• Laguna Woods, California
Thank you! We are thrilled to be back here again!
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad you are back home
• Laguna Woods, California
Thank you. We have been so relieved to be back here. I hope we never get another leak!
I can imagine how happy you are to sleep in your bad and to get back your daily routines. I confess that I also missed breakfast in the hotel, at home I have to prepare it.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, the breakfast at the hotel was wonderful. They made omelettes and other egg dishes every morning, and we could also have waffles, pancakes or cereal. It was delightful, but did not make up for the fact that we were living in one room. I am happy to be back in my home!
@DeborahDiane The only thing I real miss being at a hotel is the morning breakfast. It is nice not to have to prepare it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Yes, I miss that part, too. It was nice to wander downstairs and have someone else make me a nice omelet in the morning! LOL I confess I got a little spoiled. I think I need to put more effort into my home breakfasts, now.
Four months is a long time, I bet you are glad to be in your own bed . I hate not sleeping in my bed.
• Laguna Woods, California
I feel the same way. I never feel that I sleep as well in a hotel as I do in my own bed. It is great to be back home.
@DeborahDiane I can't even enjoy a vacation , because of the bed issue.
• Laguna Woods, California
@CookieMonster46 - A lot of people have trouble sleeping in strange beds.
@divalounger (3188)
I would imagine that it gets old quickly to be cooped up in a hotel room--congrats on being home again!
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, it does get old after a while to be in a hotel room all the time. We were getting exhausted and tired of staying there!
@DeborahDiane When I was younger and singing a bunch in clubs, I did a fair amount of touring and living out of a suitcase. I liked it for the first couple of months, but got tired of it quickly
• Laguna Woods, California
@divalounger - Yes, I can understand why being on the road would get tiresome after a while, too. I totally understand how all your days could blur together when you are just moving from one hotel to another, with no sense of having neighbors or a sense of community.
@maximax8 (29462)
That was a long time that you had to live in a hotel. Therefore you must be delighted to be back home again. In February this year my son had a Disabled Facilities Grant. We had to move to a hotel for a few weeks. I drove back home while my children were at school to see the builder's progress. The hotel was close to the sea front. The sky looked pretty at sunrise and sunset across the sea.
• Laguna Woods, California
It sounds like you have recently had an extended stay in a hotel, too. It can have advantages, like the fact that you had wonderful sea front sunrises and sunsets. However, even if the hotel is nice, there is no place like home!
@maximax8 (29462)
@DeborahDiane Indeed there is no place like home. First of all the builders were in the kitchen putting in a new boiler. It took just 2 days which was far less bothersome than the builder's work that took weeks. I found it worrying to see the ceiling and wall in my lounge with all the builder's dust. They took out my airing cupboard and took some of my lounge. Once the wet room with a wide doorway was ready I found it took them ages to mend the ceiling.
• Laguna Woods, California
16h
@maximax8 - Construction always takes longer than we think it will. However, once it is all finished and everything looks nice again, we are quick to forget the inconvenience. It is a little like childbirth in that way!
Nothing like being at home ! It probably takes some time to do the cleaning and tidy up.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, you are absolutely right. Everything was very dirty after the construction and not being cleaned for four months. We have had to do a lot of cleaning up, but it feels good now.
@DeborahDiane Take your time ! You had better hire someone to do it because some of them are hard physical work.
• Laguna Woods, California
@changjiangzhibin89 - Yes, we have hired someone in to help us get our home clean again, because there is just so much to do. Everything was so dirty when we got home, including inside the cabinets and closets.
Wow, four months is a long time to be out of your home.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, four months was a long time to be here. It was fun at first, but it got exhausting after a while!
@DeborahDiane I bet. There is no place like home.