My aquarium 5th or 6th month....

@rsa101 (28951)
This is my aquarium now. The plants i just trimmed after my weekly water change. Fish has slightly changed already most are danios, mollies, guppy and my longest staying swordtails which is has grown long already. So far I am able to make my aquarium stable though there were a few deaths due to some health problems with some of my fish. Generally speaking my tank is healthy and plants has doubled as I compared to my previous photo uploaded here. I have just hard time aquascaping it since the space is small and I could not accommodate all of them when they grow and overcrowds my tank. My only concern now is the algae growth on my tank seems to be quite troubling since they are also very fast to grow. I am contemplating of buying some algae control solutions to keep them at bay.
@louievill (27516)
Consider adding a small algae eating fish
@rsa101 (28951)
I did but I am not successful on that since they do not survive there. Maybe my algae not enough for them To survive.
@louievill (27516)
@rsa101 scavengers like a small catfish would also eat food not eaten by fishes. A small janitor fish is also a very hardy scavenger . What scavenger did you put?
@rsa101 (28951)
@louievill I bought the otocinclus catfish they were supposed to be suitable for my nano tank but inlost two of them already. They seem to not survive after consuming the majority of the algae.
too many plants in a tank will do that cause of the light so I wouldn't have a lot of plants in my tanks being I have a lot of fish in mine & need to make sure I can see when some die & can find it so as far as algae I don't think I'll have that problem as I have my lights on a 40 watt 9 bulb bar that is on for 4 hrs in the morn & 4 hrs in the evening & a dim light in between time.
@rsa101 (28951)
Well if you are not planted tank then light is not very much of importance. I think mine would need a much brighter perhaps light and the algae needs to be addressed by letting my plants grow healthier than that of the algae. The two are always competing for growth in the tank. As for my fish I guess they are doing fine except for some that have some parasite issues here and there. So far the infection is not that much since some have recovered from it.
@rsa101 I watch a LOT of fish vids about this kind of thing & most of them say that if you think about the wild they can live with algae the thing about it is it don't set well with fish hobbyist cause it don't look good in the tank & the fish eat it too.
@rsa101 (28951)
@hardtimes1958 Actually they are really part of nature and they do not bother each other. It just isn't good to look at for a hobbyist seeing them around the glass. But I do leave them alone when they are in the driftwood and the stones since I know they also help maintain the water parameters somehow. Their presence just need to be controlled so they do not cloud the water or the glass.
• Agra, India
Algae can be a real problem. You definitely need to find a solution soon
@rsa101 (28951)
Yes they are nuisance and a sign that plants aren’t able to consume the nutrients present in the tank so algae takes advantage of that.
• Agra, India
@rsa101 yes...this is the reason. Did you find a solution to control this?
@rsa101 (28951)
@amitkokiladitya I am looking into some products online which claims to remove algae chemically without affecting livestocks. But I have not bought it yet and research further if the claims are true.
@RebeccasFarm (11224)
• Denver, Colorado
Oh this is beautiful I wish to have one so good
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks it took me a lot of things to achieve that stage. I am struggling still to maintain it that way. There are fish that still die every now and then.
• Denver, Colorado
@rsa101 Oh I am sorry to hear it..this is what I always found sometimes the fish die.
@rsa101 (28951)
@RebeccasFarm Sometimes it happens but I am getting used to that already. It needs a lot of attention always especially in my case were my tank is just small.
@Nakitakona (36417)
Your aquarium looks good. It's well-maintained. I think.
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks! I am happy how things are going on around it. There are some unfortunate events that happened here and there but I think that they are part of the hobby to lose some fish along the way. You cannot really have a tank that will not encounter this tragedies.
@Nakitakona (36417)
@rsa101 You're right for that's natural.
@rsa101 (28951)
@Nakitakona Before I really got worried but now I take it one day at a time. Sometimes it is inevitable that tank becomes contaminated with parasites. It is enough that you need to be vigilant for the signs and take action. Although there is no guarantee that you will succeed in every intervention you do sometimes the fish just is not strong enough to survive it.
Your tank looks much better, but be careful not to overcrowd it with too many plants.
@rsa101 (28951)
Well I liked the plants growing there. It is just a bit disorderly perhaps and I just keep them trimmed so it would not crowd the tank too much. The fish feel more relax when they are with natural plants in the tank.
@rsa101 That’s the smart thing to do. Your fish are beautiful!
@rsa101 (28951)
@DianneN Yeah the one in the pictures are danios. They are swift swimmers and always swims around the tank. I still have my swordtail, a guppy and a couple of mollies there they usually hides in the plant and goes out once in a while.
@edisondanila (33540)
Wow! Awesome aquarium you have there my ffiend.
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks! It’s hard but st the same time fulfilling.
@rsa101 They say that having aquarium in one's house is auspicious.
@rsa101 (28951)
@edisondanila I see though I am not having that for auspicious purposes. Mine is purely a hobby and for my personal enjoyment. They are a great stress relief after a day of work.
@sol_cee (23767)
Looks like a natural habitat to me.
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks! I like a bit of controlled natural look. Mine does grow sporadically some good and some do not grow as well. I think I need to learn more about aquatic plants.
@sol_cee (23767)
@rsa101 I never thought about having an aquarium that seriously. Maybe you can make a 'guide for beginners'. ;)
@rsa101 (28951)
@sol_cee Oh I am not that expert myself since from time to time my aquarium gets into some problem and I am too at a loss what to do about it. I also consult on youtube about the problem.
@jobelbojel (19146)
You don't have clown fish? Nevertheless, your aquarium looks wonderful and beautiful.
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks I tried algae eating fish but it didn’t last long. Maybe the algae in my tank is not enough for them to survive.
@jobelbojel (19146)
@rsa101 I am sorry about that.
@rsa101 (28951)
@jobelbojel That’s why I hesitate buying another one for fear I will lose them again after sometime.
• Israel
@rsa101 Sounds like you are doing a good job with the aquarium.
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks and I really hope that you’re right about it. I read that not all tanks that are clear and crystal clear waters fies not mean that it’s a healthy tank.
• Israel
@rsa101 You are welcome.
You need some fish to control the algae growth, I have no idea which could be the best.
@rsa101 (28951)
I did but they didn’t survive for some reason. Maybe the algae in my tank is not enough for them to sustain them.
@rsa101 I really have no idea, I never had an aquarium.
Your aquarium is still very beatiful! You maintain it very well
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks for the compliments. I still would like my plants to grow well but it’s not doing what I want to and just grows like a jungle.
@rsa101 I look forward to seeing it
An aquarium sounds like it requires a lot of attention. Yours is lovely.
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks! I am trying my best to have it as clean as possible but since it has fish then you really could not maintain it as crystal clear as it is. The need for weekly maintenance is really important.
Wow - that is quite impressive! It's been a while since we've had a tank. We did not have too much algae problem - but then again we don't have those fish anymore .
@rsa101 (28951)
Thanks I think I took the right angle to show the best sides of my tank. There are some parts that algae are thriving but then my scraper is here to clean them off once they grow out of control.
I think there are some algae-eating fish that you can buy too.