Country Gentleman

Oh, my grandson also caught a fish! Gabbing on FaceTime a couple of days ago with our older son, I told him that he looked at peace, well rested, lord of the manor, and like a country gentleman. He was sitting on the patio drinking a glass of white wine with my daughter-in-law, while watching the kids get soaked jumping on their shower trampoline at their new “country” house. He told me they love it. The shock came when they both told me they are thinking of moving to Toronto, Canada! They have New York City movie producer friends and were invited to the Toronto Film Festival, walked the red carpet, posed for photos, and were wined and dined for many days several years ago. My son told us they stayed in a huge home outside the city and loved being close enough to the city to enjoy everything about it, yet be far enough away for $1,500,000. It sounds like a lot of money, but not so in New York City and the suburbs in New Jersey. So I looked at homes in Canada. I found one that was recently sold at a mere asking price of $359,000, but it was pretty ugly. I couldn’t tell if it was a raised ranch or a split level, but the houses were on top of one another. I’ll let them look for something much grander if and when they decide to leave the USA. That will break my heart, but I did enjoy visiting Toronto and would visit again, especially if they move there.
That surely would be a major change to move there, but Canada is a wonderful country, we loved visiting.
It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. We've been there 3+ times. I certainly don't want my babies to be so far away. When we're in Florida, it's bad enough. Hubs and I hope they don't pursue this at all.
@DianneN I can understand, my husband loved Vancouver, he even thought to move there, I really did not care to move to another State, but it was hard to move to another continent.
@LadyDuck I understand. At least you and your husband found a beautiful place to live. To me, the kids are much better off staying here in the US where they belong.
The picture is awesome. It sounds like they have the ideal life. I'm sure moving to Canada is a shock.
Thanks. We hope they change their minds. We are sick over the mere mention of it.
@DianneN I can add my prayers to yours.
@just4him Oh, thank you so much!!!!!
@LindaOHio (40603)
Great photo. I want them to be happy; but I would hate them to be separated from you and your husband. I know that would be hard. Toronto is a nice city though; and Canada always impressed me by being clean and fresh.
Don't forget the rest of the family either. Our DIL has a huge family who would miss her tremendously, too, as well as the kids and my son who they love. I've only seen Canada as a tourist, but I have no desire to leave my country and live there. I hope the kids come to their senses. At least they ski and bobsled, so that would be fun for many, many month up there, if nothing else.
@LindaOHio (40603)
@DianneN Does your son have job prospects up there or was he just impressed with all the special treatment?
@LindaOHio He can work from anywhere, even on vacation. He has two jobs now - attorney and chief compliance officer from the same firm. At least he isn't flying all over the place now due to the virus. I have a sneaky feeling he and his wife were overly impressed living the high life while there. He did mention how much less expensive the housing market is there compared to the US. More bang for the buck.
@CarolDM (83075)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Whatever makes them happy I suppose. I wish them luck. Love this photo.
It makes us very unhappy and hope it doesn't come to fruition. Thanks.
@CarolDM (83075)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@DianneN Don't start worrying yet.
@CarolDM You're right, but I've been down in the dumps since they mentioned it Friday evening during our date night of all times! They certainly won't be rushing to move during the virus, and I hope they come to their senses soon.
Well that was a shockeroo. But they are only just thinking for now, right? My world wandering friend moved from here to Toronto like 20 years ago . . . he wanted to experience real winter and boy did he get that! But he has moved since. Well, maybe it is talk for now - there would be a lot to consider in moving to another country, especially now. Such a nice dad and son photo . . . wow, he's gotten bigger!!
A shocker it was. When he mentioned it, hubs and I looked at each other in shock. Hopefully, it won't happen. At least they won't be moving during the virus, so may come to their senses. Now is NOT the time to move anywhere!!!!! Those winters can be brutal. Glad your friend smartened up! Thanks. He's tall and skinny and the doctor estimated that he will be 6'3". A bit too tall for my tastes, but at least he will surpass the rest of the men in the family. lol
@DianneN There is still time to think . . . maybe as they do more research on it, they may change their minds - especially since everything is changing right now. My friend ended up not being able to handle the harsh winter, but he also didn't care for the high taxes there - but he whines about everything - which is why he can never find a permanent home . Wow, 6'3" - my goodness!
@much2say Yes, there is time. They have the summer to enjoy first. Hubs will convince them to see the follies of their ways. The taxes in NYC aren't pretty either, nor are the income taxes. Perhaps your friend should move in with my son.
@Adie04 (6649)
Oh, I love the child. Adorable
Thanks!
@Adie04 (6649)
@sallypup (39143)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I can't afford $359,000. We found our aged Grande Dame at $200,000 and no, its not too close to neighbors. You might like the islands off Victoria, British Columbia. Gorgeous and serene, the folks friendly. Then again, its probably too far from the socialite scene. I can't imagine and don't want to imagine the life of a starlit. Anyway, that's a happy photo.
They vacationed in and around Vancouver last summer, but staying close enough to family on the the eastish is a priority. I hope they don't go to Canada. They do their own thing and have friends of all kinds all over the world. Thanks for your input. I've been to Vancouver. It's pretty, but not for me.
@sallypup (39143)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DianneN Vancouver is too congested and big for me though I used to vacation there- we'd drive up to where there was a sky train stop, park the car for the day and roam around. Those were the days when finding a 20.00 vacation meant the world to us. Victoria, especially its historic downtown and its touristy architecture, sublime. And the outer islands and ferries. Makes my heart beat faster. That beauty has fed me poetry many times. I am about used to the idea that I will have no family near me as I age.
@UncleJoe (17981)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My parents begged me to move to Canada during the 60's but like a fool, I chose to go to a more tropical country. I just couldn't take the cold.
That would be a big change if they moved. They look like they are enjoying themselves.
That's for sure. I can't bear to be so far from them. Florida is bad enough. Thanks. They discovered the nature preserve down the street form their house and go there often.
@gr8nana6 (3745)
• Hamilton, Ohio
That is a great picture they both look happy. You know if they do move to Canada you have somewhere to go visit.
Thanks, Maria. We've all visited Canada. I have plenty of other places on my bucket list that I'd rather visit. Big sigh.......Thanks for trying to pick up my spirits.
I hope you come back once the covid problem is over.
They are not moving due to the Covid problem. I hope they don't move at all.
Good he's njoying his time and doing really well
Thanks, but I don't want him moving to a foreign country with my grandkids.
@m_audrey6788 (31807)
I hope they get whatever makes them happy. Congratulations to your grandson for the fish he caught
@DianneN Maybe they have reasons
@m_audrey6788 Their only reasons are that they enjoyed living the high life when they were there and the cost of a big, beautiful house is much less than the cost of one in the USA. It will be different once the reality sets in, I'm sure. Right now, they wouldn't move there due to the virus, so we're good for a long while. His new house in New Jersey wasn't lived in for over 4 months, but they had it sanitized before they moved in. I don't want them to move away from us to a foreign country of all places.
@DianneN I understand I hope you can tell him your feelings and maybe he change his mind about moving
@thelme55 (46102)
Do you mean that they will move and live in Toronto? That will be sad for you but then, you can still visit them and facetime with them. Just look at the positive side of it so you will not get too sad. The photo is beautiful. I thought that is the princess with your son.
That's what they said. Hubs and I were shocked, but hopefully they will come to their senses soon. We don't want them moving out of the country. We would even pay for a house for them anywhere they want in the USA. My grandson likes his long hair.
@thelme55 (46102)
@DianneN I would be shocked, too if I were you. I hope they will change their minds. Your prince is looking good with his long hair.
@thelme55 Yes, we are shocked and very unhappy, but it hasn't happened, yet, so there is still hope they won't move there. Thanks!
@garymarsh6 (21799)
Oh my word not only moving but to another country. Still I guess it is only a couple of hours by plane. What a shame but I guess good luck to them we can't hold them back can we.
Exactly! We are so bummed out by this news. Perhaps he's trying to get even with us for moving to Florida.
@garymarsh6 (21799)
@DianneN Arr but you are back home at the moment and in the safest place so it seems. I know how it rips your heart out though Dianne. I remember when my daughter went to University in the states it made me cry in front of everyone at work. What a shock. Someone blurted out the news before I had even heard because I was in a meeting and they just blundered in and said it out loud. Can you imagine they never even called me to the side to tell me. How embarrassing was that!
@garymarsh6 You didn't know your daughter was going to school in the US? That must have been a shockeroo! Our son studied in Paris, but we knew about it only because we paid the bills.
@hostessman (11781)
• Tucson, Arizona
it would be a very good reason to visit Toronto if they move there
I've been there. Once was enough for me.
@hostessman (11781)
• Tucson, Arizona
@DianneN oh yeah,,,, your just a meanie,,,lol
@hostessman No, just realistic.
@GreatMartin (14310)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
If you have a moment go to the New York Post web site and read about the house in Brooklyn or Queens (don't remember) that is up for sale at $800,000+--the ugliest, dirtiest worse listing you will ever see for a house!! It is on a good size lot and anyone who would buy that place at that price hopefully has the money to tear it down and start from scratch--has to be seen to be believed! Heck, he could have said they were thinking of moving to New Zealand--a beautiful country with a very smart leader!--which is a lot further away than Canada!
I will have to look later. Our son wouldn't live in Brooklyn or Queens if you paid him. He loves his co-op in Manhattan and his new house in New Jersey. The entire point of my discussion is that we do not want him to leave the USA.
@jayanth_77 (5934)
you will be missing your son and his family a lot once they move to Toronto , Canada . May be they liked to peaceful life there.
I will miss them. They can have a peaceful life in the US. too, and be much closer to family. Grrrrrrr......
That would be one heck of a move but maybe they'll only have a country home there and still stay in NYC.
They were talking permanently. Hubs and her mother intend to talk some reason into them the next time they bring it up. All I can do is cry.
People do what they need to do for their families @DianneN but with the money your son makes visiting with you when they want shouldn't be a problem.
It's not the money at all @rebelann
• Israel
@DianneN That must be hard that the family will be split up and you and your husband are staying where you are now. How do you feel about them wanting to move to Canada?
I hate the idea. Our entire family lives in the US. Canada is a nice place to visit, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there.
• Israel
@DianneN That must be very hard for all of you. Does Toronto have harsh winters?
@Hannihar It is going to be awful if they do decide to leave. Yes, they have lots of nasty snow, freezing temps, icy winds, ice, and bitter cold. On the plus side, everyone loves to ski and snowboard.