Irish music - the Flanagan Brothers

Bunbury, Australia
I recently had a comment on one of my older posts about a 78 record that I have. The record is by the Flanagan Brothers, an Irish American band. In their day, the three (Joe, Louis and Mike) were a household name in both Irish homes and the homes of Irish emigrants throughout the world. The brothers came from a family of seven children. The Flanagans were born towards the end of the 19th century, but in 1911, the family moved from Waterford, Ireland, to Albany in New York. Music was always a part of the boys’ lives. They later moved to New York City and developed their own distinctive sound, becoming proficient on accordion, banjo and guitar. Their first recording was released in 1921 by the M&C New Republic Irish Record Company. They joined Columbia in 1923 and their records were soon selling throughout Ireland. There was a resurgence of interest in the past history of the brothers in 1981 when Celtic group De Dannan had a top-ten hit with ‘My Irish Molly-O’ which the Flanagan Brothers had first recorded in 1928. Lou died in the mid-1930s. Joe in 1940 and Mike in 1990. Mike had continued his musical career well into the 1980s. The brothers’ childhood home in Waterford is marked with a plaque. Much Australian music too has its roots in the music of migrants who took the big step and moved halfway across the world to start a new life. This information is taken from Wikipedia.
I have not heard about The Flanagans. Very interesting I love Irish music. I see that they have some of their music on YouTube I will take a listen, Thank you for the information.
They were active a long time ago but apparently had quite an influence on the music scene in their time.
I was wondering where you were. I love Irish music, but haven’t heard of them until now.
I seem to have run out of things to talk about. I need a roo to turn up in the lounge or something.
@JudyEv YOU? Running out of things to talk about? Never! I'm sure you will come up with something soon.
@Orson_Kart (5113)
I've never heard of them. I do like a bit of the Irish myself, to be sure, and none better than The Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights.
@JudyEv I can't fault your maths. Sounds like they were way before my time and never played on the golden oldies music channels I listen to. I go back as far as Dana and Val Doonican in the Irish genre. All Kinds of Everything and Paddy McGinty's Goat. Top tunes.
@Orson_Kart I remember when Val Doonican had his own TV show and Mum especially loved it. We took her to see him in Perth and he signed an LP for her. They shared a birthday too.
@bunnybon7 (46252)
• Holiday, Florida
I never looked them up but loved their music so much. I had a collection of several cassettes redone I bought in the 90's. wonderful talent
I replied to this but it's gone. It seems they were a big part of the music scene way back when.
@bunnybon7 (46252)
• Holiday, Florida
@JudyEv I thought so too. here and in your areas
@bunnybon7 They were really before my time but their records must have been available or we wouldn't have one.
@DocAndersen (24431)
i love Irish music! going to add this to my rotation!
I'm not sure that you'll find any of their stuff - but you might.
@DocAndersen (24431)
@JudyEv There is a record store in the next town over, that has everything. The guy has been there for more than 45 years. I asked him for an LP i haven't seen in 30 years and he had one!
@DocAndersen We really need to get rid of our LPs but I don't know what to do with them. I bet there are some interesting records in that store.
@LindaOHio (40652)
Thank you very much for this interesting bit of music history. I looked up Bunbury on the map. Interesting. Not many towns in that area.
I wouldn't have said that but I'm used to Australian distances I guess. Bunbury is half an hour from Donnybrook where we live but Donnybrook wasn't an option when I filled in my profile page. Bunbury was the nearest city. Donnybrook is much smaller.
@LindaOHio (40652)
@JudyEv Oh. I see.
@Adie04 (6649)
Now why this Flanagan Brothers ring my bell....
There might be other musicians with the name 'Flanagan' that you are remembering.
@Adie04 (6649)
@JudyEv maybe
Irish music always touches my soul, it brings out the Irish in me.
There is certainly something about the jigs and reels in particular.
@SHOHANA (11549)
• Bangladesh
Old music touch my heart most of the time, most of them are soulful
Some of the older music has beautiful melodies. They really knew how to write songs back then.
Never heard of them, but I know the Clancy Brothers.
The Flanagan Brothers are new to me. Migrants continue to bring some wonderful music to a wide variety of places.
@bunnybon7 (46252)
• Holiday, Florida
I was reading on down and am shocked so many have not heard of them
It's lovely to find someone who knows their music. They obviously had a big influence on the music scene in their time.
I haven't heard of them, but I've always loved Irish music.
They've been gone a long time now so it's not surprising you don't know of them.
@jayanth_77 (5934)
I haven't heard about the Flanagan Brothers but looks like their music was very popular among the Irish people who immigrated around the world. Hope their music albums are still available for people to listen.
I'd be a bit surprised if they were but they did influence a lot of other people.
@sallypup (39147)
• Moses Lake, Washington
This is a new one for me. Thanks for the information. I'm sure you know about The Clancy Brothers.
Oh yes, the Clancy Brothers are a great group.