Time to move out...

@lovebuglena (18450)
Staten Island, New York
I am currently living in my parents' other house that they never sold. My mom originally gave us the house for two years. We moved into the house in February 2015, so it's been a bit over five years now. My mom recently told me that she wants to sell the house. This means we have to look for a place to move. It will not be easy finding a place, especially after living in a spacious house for many years. Since I don't drive and hubby has a crazy work schedule, I need the place to be close to transportation and to have stores nearby. The neighborhood has to be safe and the place can't be a dark hole in the wall either. And of course rent has to be affordable. Right now we are paying $800/month. We don't have to pay for utilities. Finding something in that price range will be next to impossible. It's gonna be hard finding something that fits into our budget and that's also roomy and in a nice neighborhood that's close to transportation and shopping. I did a search for apartments on apartments.com and in our price range hardly anything came up.
@LindaOHio (40614)
Keep checking and be patient. If you were in our area, you'd have no problem with that price range....but in the NY area things are expensive as you know. Good luck!
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Even though I hate that this house has 4 levels (three stories plus basement) and is far from transportation I love this neighborhood. I have library and a shopping plaza near me.
@LindaOHio (40614)
@lovebuglena Take your time and look at all your options. Transportation is important as are shopping plazas. A library is nice to have.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@LindaOHio Yes. Good thing that we don't have a set date to move out. That would be a problem.
Is there a possibility that your Mom could sell you the house?
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
I would not want to buy the house. Plus, can't afford it anyway.
@kobesbuddy (104720)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Maybe your mother will help you look for a place. Be patient and you'll find the perfect home!
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Thankfully, she didn't say I have to be out by so and so date. She didn't put the house on the market yet. Thing is, if she does put it on the market and it sells quick what are we gonna do?
@kobesbuddy (104720)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@lovebuglena I'd just start looking, immediately for another house. If it sells fine, if it doesn't it won't matter, because you'll be living elsewhere.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@kobesbuddy We'd have to look for an apartment. Renting a house will be too expensive.
As others have said, it'd be great if you could buy the house from your mom. Even if you move, it'd still have to be somewhat local, right - with your husband's work? 800 is an incredible rent price - it's over double that for a studio apartment out here.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
When I met hubby he lived in a tiny dark basement apartment and he paid $800 for rent a month. And he did not pay for gas or electric and he even had free cable. That's a dream right there in terms of money spent a month on rent and utilities. I lived there a little bit but I'd not wanna live there for years and years. When my mom offered us this house hubby wanted to pay the same amount for rent and surprisingly she agreed. Probably because I am her daughter. To pay $800/month and no utilities and live in a spacious house with a backyard and a driveway is almost unbelievable. Won't find anything like this anywhere. We can't buy the house as we can't afford to buy a house of any kind right now. And I wouldn't wanna live here because too many floors to clean and far from transportation. It's about 25-30 min just to get to a bus or train.
@lovebuglena I hope you guys can find something that you like and can afford. First I hope your mom isn't in too much of a hurry to sell the house - that way you have time to do some thorough searching. We were in the apartments for a long time - we never thought we could own a house. But a few years back the prices dipped and interest rates got super low . . . we were shocked that Hubby's coworker was able to get a townhouse with what he was being paid. We looked into it and we were able to get this house. Not the best area, not really our dreamhouse, but we needed to "own" as the rents were starting to get ridiculous at the time. Now the rents around here are stupidly insane. Your current place sounds a lot bigger than our house/property!
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@much2say She wants to sell it but is not in a rush. And she doesn't want me to move into some tiny apartment or in some bad neighborhood. So I can take time to find something without rushing. Also, maybe we will look int buying something as she may help with that financially.
You're going to have to expand your price range significantly.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
That's what it seems like.
@lovebuglena I pay $1247 for a 2 bedroom apartment and I don't live anywhere near the city
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@NJChicaa That's pretty high. My uncle pays way more than that and for a small 1-bedroom that he's been renting in Brooklyn since the late 90s I think.
Do you want to stay in the house, maybe you could buy it from her.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Not really. It's three stories plus a basement. Too much to clean and I hate cleaning. Also, this house needs major remodeling and I can't have them pay for it. Also too far from bus or train. Takes about 25-30 to get to one by foot.
@JimBo452020 (16644)
• Montrose, Scotland
This must be a worrying time for you. Could you and hubby not buy the house?
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
We can't afford it and I doubt my parents would sell it to us. Plus, if I were to buy a house I'd want one that is two stories, three tops.
@JimBo452020 (16644)
• Montrose, Scotland
@lovebuglena Ah well Hope you find something suitable and too your liking soon
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@JimBo452020 I overheard hubby tell his brother how much he can spend on rent but that he doesn't want to spend that much. He didn't relay that info to me.
I’m not familiar with real estate in Staten Island, but anything close to NYC must cost a small fortune.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Staten Island is NYC. Houses are definitely not cheap here, especially big ones and in good neighborhoods.
@lovebuglena Of course I know that it is a NYC borough. My son, his wife, their children, my nephew, two sisters-in-law, my son's in-laws, and their son and other daughter all live in Manhattan in good neighborhoods and in beautiful buildings. All extremely expensive, but they all earn top dollar and can afford them.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@DianneN Sorry. Wasn't sure if you knew SI was part of NYC. As for your kids... Wow! That's awesome. I'd love to live in the city but aside from it being very expensive it is always very loud. I'd rather hang out in the city but live in a quieter area.
@thelme55 (46107)
I hope you will find an affordable house for you to rent. Keep on checking.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Most likely it will be an apartment and not a very big one.
@thelme55 (46107)
@lovebuglena That is what I think too. An apartment is also good.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@thelme55 Would be nice if we can stay in Staten Island where we live now but we may have to move to Brooklyn.
@Nevena83 (51881)
• Serbia
I hope you find something that suits you soon.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Thankfully, I do not have a deadline to move out. I don't have to rush and settle for something I don't want.
@Nevena83 (51881)
• Serbia
@lovebuglena Then slowly with the choice, you will surely find what suits you.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
@Nevena83 I hope so.
@Nakitakona (30312)
This is terrible. You're used to the house for 5 years and then you are going to leave it. That's uneasy. Hope you could find a better place to live.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
To go from a spacious house with a driveway to an apartment where hubby will have to look for parking all the time and losing the laundry machines is gonna suck.
@Nakitakona (30312)
@lovebuglena Yes it's troublesome.
@Adie04 (6649)
Looking at the number of rental, it's quite high. I just received a news from my friend that she also going to move out and go back to her hometown with her sister after not able to do anything. She had to pay twice the number of rental. We cannot even go to campus.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Having to pay twice as much for rent is crazy!
@Adie04 (6649)
@m_audrey6788 (31807)
Why not buy the house from your mother and pay slowly?
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
I cannot afford to buy a house right now.
@sol_cee (22884)
Why don’t you buy it from your mom?
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
We are not in a position now where we are able to buy a house. Plus, I'd wanna live in a house that has two stories, three at most. Three and a basement is too much. And I want to be closer to transportation.
That sounds like quite a challenge. I hope you're able to find something.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Thanks. I hope so too.
Rents do seem to be quite high in our Chicago suburb too. I do hope you can find an apartment that is in the right place and is affordable.
@lovebuglena (18450)
• Staten Island, New York
Me too. At least my mom is not throwing us out yet.