Planning a road trip

Bunbury, Australia
Vince’s brother and his wife are on their way to Karajini National Park in West Australia’s north and it has given us the urge to go too. If we don’t go this year, we can’t go till 2022 and who knows what might happen before then? It gets very hot up there in summer so we need to go within the next few weeks when the weather will hopefully be ‘very warm’ rather than ‘very hot’. Karajini is some 1,565 kilometres (972 miles) from Donnybrook where we live so it will be a long trip. We will be leaving immediately after the State Championships for the endurance riding association. The ride will be held on 3 October. We will process the photos somewhere along the way and stay in the caravan as we travel. Karajini is just north of the Tropic of Capricorn and covers overs 627,000 hectares. We hope to see some breathtaking gorges and watercourses. Thankfully, it is too far south and too far inland to have any crocodiles. The photo is of a waterhole we visited in the Northern Territory several years ago.
That is a very long trip, but I suppose you have everything you need in your caravan to make the trip comfortable. This photos is beautiful, I am sure you are going to see breathtaking places.
It is one of those must-see places and we need to do it before we get too much older.
@JudyEv You are right, now that my husband cannot travel anymore we are going to miss what we did not visit before.
@LadyDuck There will be a lot of walking at this place if we want to see the best sites. I'm not too sure how we'll manage.
• Israel
@JudyEv Is that where you are going in the picture to this post? Have a good trip and come back safe and sound.
No, we haven't been there before but the gorges will be similar. Thanks for the good wishes.
• Israel
@JudyEv Then enjoy your trip. You are welcome.
I hope you have a wonderful trip. The photo is beautiful.
Thanks. It is a long way but hopefully will be worth it.
@JudyEv I'm sure it will.
@nawala123 (17869)
It is in north, but doesnt look like a tropical place
In the cooler seasons, it's very pleasant but can get very hot in the height of summer.
@nawala123 (17869)
@JudyEv that is desert?
@nawala123 No, not desert. Most of it is covered in stunted, short vegetation. At least I think that is the case. I need to do more reading up about it.
@UncleJoe (18830)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Is that a mountainous area?
I think it is more a plateau with enormous gorges cut into it, creating waterfalls and swimming holes here and there.
@UncleJoe (18830)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@JudyEv Any crocs there?
@UncleJoe No, it's too far south and too far inland for crocodiles. There is a warning about the dingoes at one of the camp sites.
@rakski (58326)
That is nice. For sure you will enjoy that
Yes, I hope so. It will be a very long journey.
@rakski (58326)
@JudyEv oh yes for sure.
@arunima25 (44727)
• Bangalore, India
That's a scenic photo. Good that you are planning for the trip. With the current situation we are not sure when complete normalcy will be restored. So better to go ahead with all safety measures. I am sure it would be another memorable trip.
There are no travel restrictions now within our own state so hopefully all will be well.
@arunima25 (44727)
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv Here too no more travel restrictions but everyone has to follow the protocol.
@RebeccasFarm (10093)
• Denver, Colorado
Oh that will be so much fun Judy.
It is a very rugged area but very popular with tourists.
Awesome! The place looks amazingly breathtaking. I'd love to travel there with family someday!
Everyone who goes there comes back raving about it so we're looking forward to the trip.
@myklj999 (47917)
I really like that photo. The only thing I plan these days are naps.
There will be a lot of walking involved so we're taking a few packets of Iboprufen as well. lol Here's another photo from the same area.
@FayeHazel (33882)
Oh my that's lovely. Why can't you go in 2021? I'm jealous and I admit it - it is fall here and cooling down not that I mind fall, but I don't like our winter which is annoying, and long
We want to take photos at a national endurance ride in 2021 and also at the rides leading up to the 'big' one. There are only a few months when the weather is good for travelling so far north.
@FayeHazel (33882)
@JudyEv What happens to the weather the rest of the time? Too hot?
@FayeHazel Yes, too hot and they have a hurricane season up there too.
@Ronrybs (10389)
• London, England
That is one heck of drive! A new cycle tour has just been opened, the King Alfred way which is some 300 Km of gravel pedaling, in a giant circle and covers sites associated with the Saxon King. The best part is that I can pick up about 50 Km from where I am sitting. I would like to do that next year
Wow! That will be something to look forward too. I guess you will just be a bit more careful on gravel. How far do you think you'd do in a day? And where would you stay each night? So many questions.
@Ronrybs (10389)
• London, England
@JudyEv I have ordered a map of the route from Cycling UK, they 'made' the route. Once I've got that I can start planning. Only question is should I use my expedition bike or get a new gravel bike!
@Ronrybs How is a gravel bike different? I'm guessing the tyres are wider. Do you have mountain bikes there? They are popular here and there are special tracks around the place for enthusiasts.
@thelme55 (51358)
Wow! That is an awesome photo. You have to prepare for that long trip.
I am not looking forward to the long days on the road. There won't be a lot to see and there are also massively long road trains on those roads.
@thelme55 (51358)
@JudyEv I see but the views while driving are beautiful, aren´t they?
@thelme55 Not for most of the way. It will be pretty flat and monotonous.
oh! take me with y'all, purty please! sounds a most lovely 'dventure that i'd 'njoy very much. 'sides y'all're gonna need a 3rd camera person, aint'cha? ;) great news 'bout no crocs. then 'gain, 'tis been a strange year.... the photo 'tis gorgeous, i'd e'en be happy to tag 'long there next time y'all go, lol.
I will take you with me in spirit. I wonder which of us would take most photos. lol
@crazyhorseladycx I think we can power up our batteries as we drive. We have a horse ride two days before we leave so the batteries might be getting a bit low.
@DocAndersen (27894)
that sounds like a lot of fun
There will be some long days of driving before we get there but that's okay.
@DocAndersen (27894)
@JudyEv when the twins were little, we decided to drive to visit my in-laws. roughly a 12 hour drive. It took us 16 hours. I was fried!
@DocAndersen Wow, that would be a long way with littlies.
• Walnut Creek, California
I hope you get to go. Interesting. The view reminds me of some views I've seen here (particularly on the Missouri River in Montana), but the color of the rocks tells me I've never been there.
The gorges there are supposed to be something else - as in really good! lol
• Walnut Creek, California
@JudyEv I hope you get to see them. The colors are quite different from what I've seen here.
@TheHorse Different geology I guess.
@LindaOHio (46767)
That's a beautiful photo. I hope you get to go on your trip. We had to postpone ours due to COVID-19. Hopefully we will go next year. Drive safely.
Thanks for the good wishes. We are free to travel anywhere within our state so we need to go before we get too much older.
@LindaOHio (46767)
@JudyEv We can travel now; but Florida was one of the worst for COVID-19; so we postponed it until next year. I know what you mean about travelling before you get much older. We put off travelling for 20 years...(2000-2020). Big mistake.
@LindaOHio Yes, we are starting to run out of time now.
@moonandstars (43168)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
wow, what a sight. i hope it opens soon. i mean, how come some zoos had opened their doors
There are no travel restrictions within our own state now so it seems a good time to go.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@JudyEv o, that's good then
@m_audrey6788 (33825)
Have a safe trip and Enjoy. The photo looks so beautiful.
Thanks for the good wishes. Hopefully I'll have some lovely photos to share when we return.
@psanasangma (4659)
Wow, its' going to be trill and fun
Thanks. We're looking forward to it.