No flowers in our garden - just a kangaroo and a rabbit

Bunbury, Australia
Yesterday, our slightly tame kangaroo hung around the house again and ended up taking an afternoon nap in the sun in the round garden outside the lounge window. A baby rabbit decided to sit in the sun too. I’ve put a ring around him as he is a bit hard to see otherwise. I spent a couple of hours burning leaf litter, trying to lessen the fire hazard when summer arrives. I have slacks and a top that I’ve worn both days while burning and I’ll wear them again later today. They smell of smoke so once I’ve finished burning, they’ll get washed. It saves having three or four outfits all smelling of smoke.
A kangaroo is just a big rabbit right ? How do you burn leaf litter? We're not allowed to do that - but I guess our old neighbor used to do that - annoyed everyone with the smoke.
@JudyEv You have all that property . . . we are not even a quarter acre . We are super close to our all our neighbors.
@much2say Once, all our town blocks were a quarter acre but they are now very much less.
@sol_cee (23303)
A tame kangaroo! Wow
She's not really tame but tolerates us as long as we don't get too close.
@sol_cee (23303)
@JudyEv she got a name?
@sol_cee No. If we talk to her, we just call her Mrs Roo.
@UncleJoe (18830)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I saw two rabbits out back here this morning but haven't seen a kangaroo all day.
Maybe you looked away at the wrong moment. I'd keep watching if I were you - just in case.
@FayeHazel (33882)
That's cool the kangaroo comes that close. Looks like it's really sleeping
Sometimes she sleeps standing up. You can see her head nodding.
@FayeHazel (33882)
@JudyEv Aw cute! Sounds really docile. And here for some reason I had assumed they were aggressive
@FayeHazel The aggressive ones (almost always big males) make the news and the YouTube clips but mostly they're very timid. Once the males lose their fear of humans it's a different story.
That kangaroo, seems to love resting in your garden, very comfortable there. The rabbit is cute.
She even sleeps with her back to the house so she must feel quite safe. The little rabbits are especially cute.
@JudyEv One of the cat of my neighbors take his afternoon nap sleeping on our door mat.
@LadyDuck He must feel at home too.
@Ronrybs (10389)
• London, England
Yes, that kangaroo looks like he owns the place. I quite like bunnies, only problem is they can decimate a garden in no time flat!
Bunnies are a curse here. They nearly did for our agricultural lands years back until various methods were devised to get them to manageable levels.
@Ronrybs (10389)
• London, England
@JudyEv I remember reading about it and the phrase rabbit proof fence springs to mind. Introduced species are mostly a curse, but we don't seem to learn
@Ronrybs The government built a rabbit proof fence some 3,256 kms long, running from north to south to try to keep the rabbits out of WA. This was back in the 1900s. It didn't work.
@anoindo (156)
Nice and cute kangaroo there. Why don't you just buried the dry leaves rather than burnt it?
I can't imagine digging a big enough hole to bury the leaves. And my back wouldn't allow it. :)
@anoindo (156)
@JudyEv ohh soryy..
@anoindo No problem. It's common to burn rubbish here although not so much in the towns. We are out in the country.
aw, sweet! i love when critters feel comfy 'nough to take'p residence. i finally saw a cottontail here yesterday, actually 2. 've not seen one all year, so 'twas a pleasant surprise. too many ferals, so they no longer nest anywhere near. yepperz, why use clean clothin' fer such a task? i do the same with weed pullin' 'n corral cleanin'.
If ever we go to live in a town, I'll have to throw out most of my work clothes.
@JudyEv lol, me, too! thread bare fer the most part, schtuff 'civilized' folks'd surely pitch a fit o'er. i hope that day ne'er comes!
@crazyhorseladycx Before phones, when visitors just turned up at the door, my Mum might rush off to change. Certainly she'd take off her apron and try to find some shoes!!
Sure signs of spring for you! I certainly understand why you are wearing the same clothes until the burning is done. Nasty odors.
The smell gets in your hair too. I might have finished for the moment as I think it is going to rain tomorrow.
@JudyEv Same with cooking smells. Hope you are finished for good!
That's a good idea just wearing one set of clothes for leaf burning. Cute picture of the kangaroo and rabbit enjoying the sunshine.
I'm off to burn some more shortly. I can smell the smoke in my clothes. lol
@JudyEv I hope you get them finished soon.
• Israel
@JudyEv I see the baby rabbit. The kangaroo must have been tired. It is good that you did not put a new outfit on to do what you were doing.
I am going to do a bit more burning soon. I only do a bit at a time to make sure the fire doesn't get away.
• Israel
@JudyEv Very wise how you do it.
@arunima25 (44743)
• Bangalore, India
They are lovely and gentle visitors there in your gardenAnd I have plenty of flowers right now here and I am enjoying birds, bees and butterflies paying a visit. Have not seen monkeys in months and that makes me and my garden happy
I'm glad the monkeys haven't returned. That would be a very foreign occurrence to me. I wouldn't know what to do about them.
@arunima25 (44743)
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv I am very scared of them. I will just leave the place swiftly if I spot them. Husband is the fearless one and he tries to chase them.
• Santiago, Chile
You know an usual day in western Australia, sunny day outside, getting some things done around, and yes a kangaroo taking a nap outside the house. It must be fun living there, I have no doubt!
Not too many would have roos napping in their gardens but I'm glad we have.
• Santiago, Chile
@JudyEv ansolutely! You are a lucky one! It is so exotic! I love it!
@Adie04 (10219)
Heheh, I would still enjoy those view if kangaroo and rabbit comes. I would take some video and pictures too.
I am hoping to get a video of her joey when she decides it's time for it to come out of the pouch.
@Adie04 (10219)
@sallypup (40496)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's a sweet photo. It's probably good that you are lessening brush around your house.
Bushfires nowadays are not to be sneezed at. They seem much more powerful than they used to be.
@sallypup (40496)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JudyEv Agreed. Nasty fire fog all day and every day lately at my house.
@wolfgirl569 (32631)
• Marion, Ohio
I often wear the same clothes a couple of days when I am at home for that reason.
I don't change every day but I like to change out of smoky clothes when I've finished for the day.
@wolfgirl569 (32631)
• Marion, Ohio
@JudyEv I will wear one outfit working outside and another relaxing in the house. Still have 2 to wash. But thats better than 4 or 5 for just a couple of days going no where. Mostly wear my sweats anyways.
@rakski (58344)
oh really nice photo here. It seems they are enjoying their stay there
The roo looks quite relaxed but it's unusual for a bunny to sit still too long.
@rakski (58344)
@JudyEv yes, it looks very relaxed. Yes the bunny is a hyper one
That kangaroo looks so relaxed. Glad the bunny rabbit decided to sit a spell in the sun too. Good idea to burn that leaf litter just in case.
Hopefully whatever burning we do will help a little if we ever get that close to a fire.
@thelme55 (51358)
That´s a beautiful photo. The kangaroo and the rabbit are enjoying the heat of the sun.
True. They were catching the last of the afternoon sun. Soon after the photo was taken, the evening started to get cooler.
@psanasangma (4659)
Look at the kangaroo, how it is relaxing.. they are seems to be accustomed of resting near your garden
She does seem to like it in the garden. Some of the plants they like to eat too.