Aboriginal Art in West Australia's Murchison region

Bunbury, Australia
While in West Australia’s Murchison region, we headed out to the old mining town of Big Bell then on to Walga Rock. Walga Rock is one of the largest granite monoliths in Australia and is the site of an extensive gallery of aboriginal art which is found under an overhanging ledge. One of the paintings is of a sailing ship. This drawing has caused a great deal of speculation among the experts and no real conclusions have been reached. Walga Rock is some 325 kms (202 miles) from the coast. The ship is superimposed over some earlier drawings with some unidentified script underneath. The other drawings, which stretch for perhaps a hundred metres along the rock wall, show common aboriginal symbols, which are meaningful to the Wajarri people of the area. The bottom right photo shows bands of different coloured rock.
@DocAndersen (28849)
artists have always existed, it is in their art that the world is a better place!
That's very true. We need food for our bellies but also for our souls.
@DocAndersen (28849)
@JudyEv that is true - but, sadly many can't take care of the first.
@DocAndersen Yes, of course, food and shelter have to come first.
The site of gallery of aboriginal art is worth visiting.Don't know which period of history those works can be traced back to.
Experts estimate that the gallery is 10,000 years old although, of course, the painting of the ship would be much more recent.
@JudyEv Wow! 10,000 years old !They are prehistoric drawings.
@changjiangzhibin89 Yes, they are indeed.
Wow, how kool. Lucky for Australia that kids haven't defaced that ancient art like they've done here.
Don't worry. Anything that is near civilisation gets defaced and even stuff miles from anywhere sometimes.
Thats true but it's still a shame @JudyEv
I enjoy sites where primitive art is featured.
It's certainly interesting to see such sites and to ponder on what they painted.
Those rocks are of an incredible mix of colours, beautiful. I am always fascinated by primitive art.
I loved some of the rock formations that we saw up there. The colours were spectacular in some areas.
@JudyEv I have seen similar colours in Arizona, in the area around the city of Sedona.
That type of art has us asking so many questions as to the meanings. Amazing photos.
The ship has intrigued scientists for many years. I'm glad you like the photos.
@rsa101 (28860)
Nice pictures you took there. l recall having same pictures of that hand but not in Australia but somewhere in Europe.
@topffer (41239)
• France
Yes, about 400 negative hands were found in caves in France and Spain. The ones in this photo are in the cave del castillo in Spain.
@rsa101 (28860)
@topffer Oh yeah l saw that in the books a long time ago. Amazing that the idea was also done several thousand kilometers away and is separated bu sea but idea was similar.
@topffer most fascinatin', so glad ya shared this. i reckon now i've gotta add this to my e'er growin' list 'f thingies to investigate, lol.
@xFiacre (8184)
@judyev There are waterfalls in Uganda called after Mr Murchison. I wonder if there’s any colonial connection?
It is with great satisfaction that I can say that both the Murchison Falls and Murchison River/region have a connection to the Scottish geologist, Sir Roderick Impey Murchison. (aren't you glad your middle name isn't Impey? - presuming it isn't) Samuel and Florence Baker were the first Europeans to see the falls and named them after Roderick Murchison, who was the President of the Royal Geographical Society. The Murchison River was named by the explorer George Grey and honours the same gentleman, who was his patron. Murchison's advocacy had been essential in securing official support for Grey's Western Australian expeditions. Now we've both learnt something.
@xFiacre (8184)
@JudyEv If Impey (what an awful time he must have had at school!!!) were my middle name my initials would be FIB. When my wife was named her initials were SIN so her father slipped in a Louise for good measure and she became SILN. Thanks for the Murchison research - he got about.
@xFiacre Well, I'm not sure Murchison did. He didn't get to Australia or Uganda as far as I could make out. Just happened to be an influential man.
@FourWalls (28375)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Do the Aboriginal peoples have interpretive centers discussing the artwork?
Yes and there are more and more of these interpretive centres being established. The aborigines are now being included in discussions, management, etc much more than they once were - which is a good thing.
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
@JudyEv Yes including the Aborigines is very vital, especially for inclusiveness for their future generations.
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
@JudyEv Yes the historical wrongs should not be repeated.
Australia would not have been a dry land in the past
That's true. Much of the area around Karijini was under water for many, many years.
@JudyEv Yes. It is still part of Indian Australian tectonic plate
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
@piyushbhatia1 Yes many places were separated over Millions of years. Initially it was one continent : Panagea.
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
These all makes one feel as if he or she has been transported to another age altogether. The ancient folks used to do so much on the caves and on the rocks. These things are a big heritage to all of us.
There are so many wonderful things to see in the world. We can still learn a lot from those who went before us.
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
@JudyEv We have so many Ancient and Medieval structures in India as well. So much to explore. And then there are also places in Egypt, Inca civilization in South America and other places as well.
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
@JudyEv Still the drawings you have shown above hold a lot of history.
It would be fascinating to see those drawings first-hand. Thank you for the pictures.
You're welcome. They are such a long way from anywhere but the place was obviously important once.
@JudyEv Yes, I'm sure it was.
@moffittjc (91018)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks for sharing Judy. I enjoy reading your posts about the different things you come across in your area. Helps me learn more about Australia. Are there still aboriginal people living in the area?
Yes, there are a lot of aborigines in the area.Between Tom Price and Carnarvon we passed several aboriginal communities. They were off the road. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts.
@Shiva49 (17137)
Interesting. I am curious about some carvings and paintings that show aliens. I think there should be some reality behind such but we are not able to understand them more as detail are sketchy without a write-up that we can decipher
That's true. There are several theories about the boat but nothing has been proven - and I doubt it ever will.
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
@JudyEv May be an ancient advanced civilization, may be some aliens- well it is difficult to interpret and decipher.
@ptrikha_2 (26447)
@JudyEv Yes there could be various possibilities.
oh my! what grand beauty 'n so many stories told 'n those. i 'magine such's most breathtakin' to see'n person. quite stunnin' jest from photos. i gotta ask though, did'ja feel a lil diff'rent bein' there? cultural sites usually 've an aura 'bout 'em. the sailin' ship would be a tad perplexin', but then 'gain, didn't the peoples used to travel great distances? with modern technology, i'm thinkin' they ought'a be able to 'ndercover the earlier drawings. if'n so more queries to be'd, eh? what messages'd been left o'er a great 'xpanse 'f time. the script sounds very intriguin'. thanks so much fer sharin' yer journeys with the gorgeous pics. safe travels 'n big hugs ~
Thanks for the kind words. There are interesting theories about the ship in particular and you're quite right in that the aborigines were nomadic and did travel long distances from time to time.'Aura' is actually a good description for some of these places. I only notice it though if there are very few people around.
@JudyEv aw, yer welcome. i bet there'd be many, 've they dated such? i hear they've fancy gadgets that can help determine such. 'f course, that could open e'en more queries :) 'tis theories'n the aura felt when visitin' such. some say y'ave got'ta 've a 'pure heart', others say if'n there's negative folks 're too much "clutter", 'tis greatly impeded. nomadic fer survival, followin' critters fer food 'n waters.
@LindaOHio (48949)
Those are really cool pictures. Do you know how old the drawings are?
The experts estimate them as 10,000 years old but not the ship of course. The jury is still out on how the ship came to be painted.
@LindaOHio (48949)
@JudyEv Interesting. Thanks!
@Torunn (7089)
• Norway
The bands of different coloured rock are impressive! No wonder they chose that place to draw.
The geological features in that area are quite something.
@Torunn (7089)
• Norway
@JudyEv Different metals in the ground I suppose? It would also make it easier to find the right stuff to make your own colours.
• Walnut Creek, California
I enjoy looking at cave paintings here in the US as well. I wish I knew more about what the symbols meant. I've seen some similarities across tribes and regions.
When we visited Uluru, we were given a sheet with the meanings of a few of the more common symbols but I think it's back in the house. The hand paintings seem to be reasonably universal.
Those are so cool looking. Great pictures.
Thanks. I'm glad you like them.
@happylife1 (13322)
• Karachi, Pakistan
a nice and good drawing
I'm glad you like them.