Bizarre Dishes!

@nitsbubb (846)
Pune, India
I was inspired by one of the myLotters - By Lena Kovadlo @lovebuglena - about the beef-tongue recipe that compelled me to write about one of the bizarre dishes I ever had. I was in Nigeria for a few months on one assignment. Nigeria is a beef lover, and I am a cow-worshipper. Hence, eating beef (and pork) was out of the question!!! I was in search of seafood (only fish), chicken, and lamb. One of my Nigerian colleagues - Ayeini, my branch finance manager - took me to one local restaurant that served Goat/Lamb! I was happy! I was anticipating some chops or lamb leg sticks. He wanted to surprise me with their best dish for 'White-Men' as they mention us in their country. In a mud pot, it was a goat head cooked in a stew with their peri-peri. OMG! what is this? It was full of goat-head 'parts' with a very little stew (gravy) filled up to its brim! I tasted the stew, and believe me, it was delicious! There were two white-colored white spheres with some black coloring on it. There were two such spheres. I asked Ayeni(my colleague's name) 'What is this'? He said that this is a Nigerian Delicacy offered only to the Big People! (BTW I am not at all Big) Those were the whole eye-balls! There were two ears, one tongue, side bones, etc. etc. etc.. With a big smile, I told him that I never tried (and cannot even think of eating it) and asked him to share it. He excitedly ate both the eyeballs in front of me!!!! Please do not take this 'discussions' as an offensive against anyone who likes to eat these dishes. Even I have tasted some part of it so do not misunderstand me!!!!
Well, if the dishes tasted good, the trying was worth it.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
I think you are correct, but eye-balls or ears, or tongue - I don't think I could ever taste it!
@nitsbubb Neither could I. Too yucky.
@jobelbojel (19247)
We have exotic dishes here but have not tried them.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
Exotic dishes are totally different from Bizarre dishes - as per me. Actually, I love to have local exotic dishes but bizarre - I doubt.
@jobelbojel (19247)
@nitsbubb yeah, you have a point and I agree.
@thelme55 (53879)
Yikes! The food you mentioned reminded me of the Indiana Jones movie with Harison Ford when a bizarre food like that served on the table. I almost puked while watching the movie. Just like now. Sorry.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
Oh! I am really sorry if my article made you puke! But believe me, even I was not able to display any facial expression due to table manners! Even I felt the same what you felt after reading it!
@thelme55 (53879)
@nitsbubb You´re fine. I am just very sensitive when it comes to disgusting food.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
@thelme55 Same Here! :)
@JimBo452020 (27331)
• Montrose, Scotland
If I saw someone I was dining with eating something I reckon I would give most things a try But not sure if I would manage to swallow eyeballs!!
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
This was really very disgusting but table manners compelled me to keep my face smiling when he was churning it!!
@JimBo452020 (27331)
• Montrose, Scotland
@nitsbubb Lol, I would have burst out laughing Or been sick!!
I'm glad you liked what you ate. I'll pass.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
Yes! But it was without eyeballs! (something weird to write)
Kudos to you for being brave enough to try the unfamiliar!
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
Oh No! I have not tried at all those eye-balls but yes rest of the liquid stew was good.
I was at a pig roast once where the chef and another person ate the pig's eyeballs.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
That is really gross! Even Ayeni ate (munched with a noise) in front of me!
Some things I just cannot put into my mouth. That would be one of them.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
I swear! BTW, Ayeine had confessed that whatever is living or green is meant to be eaten! I just nodded! :(((
@nitsbubb Even the poisonous plants?
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
@DianneN I doubt!
@lovebuglena (22432)
• Staten Island, New York
I would have never thought that eyeballs are edible. I've had goat before. If cooked correctly it is delicious. I am not sure if I've ever tried a goat head though. Would love to. Minus the eyes.
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
Yes, really if you find it delicious you can surely have it! Nothing wrong with it!
@GreatMartin (16101)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Tongue sandwiches on rye bread are big sellers here in our delicatessens!
@nitsbubb (846)
• Pune, India
That really sounds great! Maybe after reading various responses, I will surely try some of these bizarre dishes.