Fun With Vinegar

By DB
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Over the years I've found vinegar to be a great product to have around the house. I've come across many articles touting the various ways one can use the product. White and Apple Cider are the best to use. So, my question for today is what different ways do you use vinegar. Below are some uses I have tried and suggestions I've found and want to try in the future. 1. Cleaning your dishwasher- adding a cup and running your dishwasher removes built up soap scum and residue. 2. Clean your showerhead- put some full-strength into a baggie and tape it over the fixture. After an hour remove and your ready to go. 3. Restore rusty tools- soak in vinegar for several days until the rust goes away. 4. Clean ceramic tile- Combine 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup ammonia, and 1/4 cup borax to a gallon of water and scrub. 5. Unclogging your drain- combine vinegar with baking soda and pour it down the drain and flush with hot water. 6. Extend the Life of Flowers- add 2 tablespoons of white or apple cider and 2 tablespoons of sugar to your vase. 7. Refresh your towels- run a cycle substituting 1 cup vinegar for your detergent. 8. Clean stainless steel- get rid of the fingerprints by spraying vinegar and wiping with a micofiber cloth. 9. Clean your microwave- Fill a bowl with equal parts white vinegar and water, and pop it into the microwave for five minutes or until it boils. Once the time is up leave it inside for another three to five minutes to allow the steam to soften things up. Then you can grab a cloth or sponge to wipe it away. 10. Foot Soak For Soft, Smooth Feet- just add some Listerine to your vinegar and your set. A bonus it also eliminates stinky feet! Source- bob vila
@thelme55 (56757)
I use vinegar in cleaning my windows.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Me too. It works great! Another use- Clean your coffee maker using equal parts water and vinegar and brew.
@thelme55 (56757)
@dgobucks226 I am doing that too. Not only coffee makers but also tea mugs which have become dark.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
@thelme55 Good idea! I have some with stains
Thanks for the information. Vinegar needs to be always in the kitchen.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Absolutely! Fantastic addition and great for removing dirt on surfaces like glass, sinks, and countertops.
@dgobucks226 It is also good for a sore throat by gargling it with a little salt and lukewarm water.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
@Shavkat Good to know! Thanks
@moonandstars (46569)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
only for my salad i don't like its smell.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Yes, a little vinaigrette dressing can go a long way in spicing up a salad You can also us it for Killing weeds. They don't like the smell either
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@dgobucks226 well, not in good terms with weeds so, thank you for this secret information
@dgobucks226 (24694)
I'm adding apple cider vinegar to my tea.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Apple cider vinegar has health benefits and is a great digestion aid. Very good addition, thanks!
@dgobucks226 got another bottle yesterday. Going to be drinking this well until the end of the year.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
@allen0187 Bottoms UP
@LindaOHio (51689)
Be careful with #9. Our little housekeeper kept boiling a lot of vinegar and water to clean the microwave. The vinegar ended up peeling off the coating inside the microwave.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
That's a good warning Linda. I actually put some vinegar on a sponge with dish detergent and heat it for 2 minutes. Works great! Another use- Sanitize your wooden cutting board.
@LindaOHio (51689)
@dgobucks226 Great tips!
Most of those tips work. Be careful number 6 is ONLY for cut flowers and not all flowers.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Thanks for this addition. Speaking of cut flowers I recently added some bleach to the water from an online suggestion to make them last longer. Seemed to work?
@dgobucks226 Bleach surely keeps the water more transparent because it kills the bacteria. I made several experiments, I cut flowers in my garden, in one vase I add nothing in the other I tried the different tricks... the flowers always lasted the same time.
@Cheyee (3216)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
I never do any of those, but I did washing machine cleaning with vinegar, baking soda and hot water.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Well, now you have a bunch of tips to try, lol. Adding vinegar to your washing machine load is a great way to keep towels soft. Here are a couple more. Sanitize your wooden cutting board. Clean your coffee maker using equal parts water and vinegar and brew. Use it to clean your windows 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water. Kill weeds using vinegar.
@Cheyee (3216)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
@dgobucks226 'Adding vinegar to your washing machine load is a great way to keep towels soft' mix it with soap?
I use vinegar, baking soda and salt all the time to clean. But, I am the dishwasher so I don’t get dish pan hands. It never occurred to me to wash my shower head, hmmmmmmmmmm. I never thought of cleaning rust, I’ll give that a try, thanks for this tip. No ceramic tile here so I won’t need that tip. When unclogging my drains I put dry baking soda in the drain first then add boiling vinegar and salt, it’s always worked really well. I didn’t know it would help flowers, but I do give a cup now and then to the pine trees I have in the yard Yep, I always run a rinse cycle to the sheets and towels with added vinegar. Unfortunately vinegar will fade your clothes so I don’t use it with my shirts and such. Interesting tip about stainless steel. Don’t have a microwave but it does do a great job on the oven when combined with baking soda and salt. Ahhh, yes, I like to soak in a tub of water with vinegar and a little baking soda, does wonders for skin and hair too. By the way, did you know that it will soften those pots and pans of burned food in them? I have this bad habit of forgetting to check what I’m cooking and have had to try to clean that mess. I just let vinegar, baking soda and salt sit over night and it usually gets all that burned crud soft enough to be cleaned.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Thanks for the critique on all these tips rebelann... I've never added salt to the mixture as you suggest. How much should be used? Great tip about burned pots and pans! I've done that a few times myself
You're welcome. I never measure anything @dgobucks226 I just buy cheap salt and use whatever look right according to the problem I'm facing, salt will soften water and here our water is very hard.
@Namelesss (2672)
Pepper sauce - open bottle, pour half in empty bottle, add peppers, cap.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Wow, that's an interesting one. Thanks for sharing that addition.
@Namelesss (2672)
@dgobucks226 Flavored vinegars are wonderful and always my first thought when thinking of uses for vinegar.
@kaylachan (7427)
I know about 5. A plumber friend of ours (who fixed our sink) told me to do that to prevent clogs and the sink from getting too bad. Haven't picked any up. LOL. I have trouble using it, because the order is too strong for me.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Yes, the smell is not great but the results of using this inexpensive mixture are, lol. I've also used it as a drain cleaner to prevent clogs. Here are a couple more. Sanitize your wooden cutting board. Clean your coffee maker using equal parts water and vinegar and brew. Use it to clean your windows 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water. Kill weeds using vinegar.
@kaylachan (7427)
@dgobucks226 I've heard of vinegar as weed killer. Never tried it. Of course with all this rain, the weeds are piling up.
@CarolDM (102792)
Vinegar water and honey for many stomach ailments, including indigestion. My dear grandmother gave us all this for whatever was wrong.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Yes, I've heard that one Carol. Great addition! Here is another- Clean your coffee maker using equal parts water and vinegar and brew.
@CarolDM (102792)
@dgobucks226 Many have not, but it works for many ailments for sure. I add a lot of honey.
my rinse cycle in the laundry.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Yes, definitely are good tip! Here are a couple more. Sanitize your wooden cutting board. Clean your coffee maker using equal parts water and vinegar and brew. Use it to clean your windows 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water. Kill weeds using vinegar.
@dgobucks226 That is also good.
@FourWalls (29161)
• Louisville, Kentucky
And then there’s the smell.......
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Perhaps adding a little lemon will cure that
@prinzcy (8275)
I just use them for cooking. There's a tip to remove cat litter smell and avoid cats from pooping where they shouldn't. No, didn't work. It might at first, then after a day or two the cats are back.
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Gee, the cat idea sounded pretty good. Shame it did not work. Here is another one if your a coffee drinker. Clean your coffee maker using equal parts water and vinegar and brew.
@kanuck1 (2405)
I have two uses for vinegar. I add a squirt to the bucket of hot water, throw in a squirt of dishwasher soap and wash the floors with it. I have been doing that for years. I throw in a squirt in my bucket of hot water that I soak my feet in every night before going to bed to kill any fungus that my develop because my feet sweat. Doing that for years also and I have happy feet!
@dgobucks226 (24694)
Ah, you and vinegar are perfect together. I have to try that foot one myself. They get so dried out during the winter. I also am big on using vinegar as a cleaner around the kitchen. Counters, cutting boards, oven top and with your suggestion now floors. Thanks Ken