Evidently, it is addictive

I guess in Canada they are warning motorists not to let moose lick their cars. The animals are licking the road salt from deicing efforts off of vehicles. They prefer to get it off the cars rather than off the tarmac. Some people drive to those areas just to have the "Rocky Mountain Car Wash" and I just had to share the link. I saw this article on Yahoo. I wonder if other animals are also doing this? Maybe JJ tastes salty to Emoci?
Motorists in Florida occasionally need to keep an eye out for 12-foot, 463-pound alligators hanging out on the side of the road. Canadians have a different problem: moose that are addicted to licking road salt off of cars. It sounds silly, like a winter-th
I know that goats are always in desperate need of salt and that´s why they climb to some salty places in the mountains. Moose must be the same way.
I think many animals seek out salt. They said during pioneer days people had to keep their farm implements, like axes locked away because porcupines looking for salt would devour the handles of tools for the salt from sweaty hands.
@prinzcy (8840)
Like @marguicha said, I think that's the reason why they lick it. It's like cow wanting to lick salt too. I probably would freak out if moose try to lick my car.
Here ranchers provide salt blocks for their cows and horses. Moose do not live near where I am, but deer will come to a salt block.
@FourWalls (29350)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Listen, I try to be a good citizen and obey the laws, but I absolutely REFUSE to argue with a moose.
I bet you would not seek one out, though, to try to get it to lick your car.
@FourWalls (29350)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@GardenGerty — it helps the brine work at lower temperatures.
• Midland, Michigan
Ok that's not something we would have considered to be a thing.
You know, it would have never entered my mind at all.
• Midland, Michigan
@GardenGerty that would be like deer licking our cars. I can't see that ever happening
@MarshaMusselman Now, where I live the deer would be a possibility. I frequently see them in my neighborhood. If my car had been somewhere to get brine, they would come.
@moonandstars (46930)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i read this and not sure is this worrying or funny
It is funny because we do not expect it, and worrying because these are large animals approaching humans and some people do not have sense enough to avoid them. Oh, and I wonder if the road salt has harmful chemicals for them.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@GardenGerty yes, salt, from all other things. if it was a sugar, i would get it yes, animals became too close to us and i sense unbalance
Moose are not everywhere here in Canada. But, just to be clear, would you challenge a moose-they are huge animals. I know that I have never seen one, but I wouldn't challenge one.
No, I would not challenge one. I know moose have their own regions although on occasion they even get as far south as Iowa and some other states. Usually a bull that is alone. I have only seen them in a zoo.
Well that's something, lol
I do not usually share these things, but you know, 2020, we need to think about something fun.
I guess it might be addictive but probably that road salt is not good at all for them to ingest.
I had that thought as well.
@BarBaraPrz (28671)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Yep, JJ's a salty ol' dog...
Sure is.
How weird. I won't see that happening here anytime soon.
Nope, your neck of the woods is too warm for them, I am sure.
Yep that's what I was thinkin @GardenGerty
sadly the world 'tis filled with folks 'f this mentality.
We are not kind to wildlife and do not protect them when we can.
@GardenGerty 'tis very true. 'came my 'life mission' to see what can be done. educatin' folks who've not desire to learn though's been a major roadblock...
@wolfgirl569 (35734)
• Marion, Ohio
That could get dangerous.
That is why they wish people would not do it. It could be dangerous for people and for the moose.
My ponies would like my hands. There must have been something they liked on them.
Animals like the salt that comes out when we sweat. Maybe some other "flavors" as well.
E So bad for the moose and anyone!
www.
I know.
@Fleura (11635)
That is a bit odd, I don't think I'd drive there just to have my car licked but on the other hand it is a way to guarantee a close encounter I suppose! Hopefully it isn't that bad for the moose because, as they say, they can already lick the salt from the road surface.
I hope there are no harmful chemicals in the salt spray. No, I would not go out of my way to do that. On our honeymoon we went to a drive through animal park. I got ostrich spit on the car windows. They would chase cars because they knew people bought food pellets and gave them out in the park. You had to stay in the car.
• Pamplona, Spain
It seems that the animals need the salt but obviously not in that way. Hope they can keep them away from it.
I would hope they would have more natural sources. Also, when animals become to accustomed to people it makes it dangerous for both them and the people.
• Pamplona, Spain
@GardenGerty Would hope that they can come up with something to help keep them away for their own safety.
@id_peace (12952)
Actually I am not sure what will be the health impact to the Moose? if it is just addiction, we can let it slide isn't it?
Animals need salt. The problem is that this is bringing the wild animals into close contact with people which often does not end well for the animal. It ceases to be afraid and gets aggressive, etc. There is also a question about other additives to the salt that may make the moose ill.
@GreatMartin (16844)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Not any worse than us licking peanut butter, ice cream, cookie dough, sauce, etc., with our fingers!!!
The bad thing would be if the animals and people had a dangerous encounter or if there were other chemicals in the brine besides salt. Otherwise, you are right. It is like something that is "finger licking good."