Candlemas - The Crepes Day

Crepes Suzette by LadyDuck
Switzerland
Today we celebrate the Catholic holiday of Candlemas. The superstition is more or less the same as Groundhog Day. Anyway, we all know that winter is here to stay for many more days. To celebrate Candlemas, we make crêpes, savory or sweet, it does not matter. Students in France play the crepes games. To play the game, you get a pile of crepe and write on paper plates the name of each student. Then, you stand on a table (or a chair), a few feet from them, and throw the crepes. The students must catch the crepes. The winner is the one who catches the crepe in the center of the plate. Once the game is over, all the students eat the crepes, the winner gets an extra topping and honorable mention. Any special tradition on this 2nd day of February? The photo is mine - My crêpes Suzette.
@DaddyEvil (33881)
I've never heard of your holiday. It sounds like fun.
It's a Catholic Holiday, the Presentation of Jesus to the Temple. When we lived in the south of France all people made crêpes.
@DaddyEvil (33881)
@LadyDuck Oh, gotcha. Thank you for telling me. I appreciate that. Pretty and I have made crepes before. They were okay.
@DaddyEvil I like to make savory crêpes, stuffed with mushrooms, ham and white sauce are my favorite.
@CarolDM (117923)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Just Groundhog day today. Yours sounds like more fun.
At least we have an excuse to enjoy some crêpes.
@CarolDM (117923)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@LadyDuck Exactly! Enjoy.
@CarolDM Thank you.
No we never celebrated it in this way but I am aware it is the last day of the Christmas season. I should take down my Christmas trees but I don't think I will. lol
Today is the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, this is the celebration of Candlemas.
@LadyDuck yes I know that is why it ends the Christmas season.
@BelleStarr We end Christmas season with the Epiphany on January 6th.
I love crepes but haven't made them. Well I may have tried once, but it didn't come out "thin". Of course yours are quite perfect . Do you use a special pan? I love these traditions that include food !
I use the flat pan that I place on the stove. The temperature of the pan is important. To make them thin you have to grease the pan, heat, pour a little quantity of dough in the pan and quickly spread over the bottom. After a few trials it is not really difficult. We both like crêpes, both sweet and savory.
@LadyDuck What kinds of filing do you make? At one restaurant here, I used to order them with a spinach and mushroom filling . . . ohhhh, I miss that so much!!
@much2say My favorite filling is ham and mushrooms and white sauce, but also shrimps filling is very good and a cheese filling.
That's an interesting game. Your picture looks delicious.
Students liked the game. Thank you, I took a photo before flaming and serving.
@LadyDuck I'm sure they would like the game. I've heard of flaming the crepes but never saw it done.
@just4him I have the habit, but you must pay attention, when you pour the liquor it can be dangerous.
@rakski (80578)
that is a nice game!!! I wish I know how to a crepe
It is not difficult to make crêpes, look at YouTube videos, it's all in the way you turn the dough in the pan.
@rakski (80578)
@LadyDuck I am bad at turning. ahaha
@rakski I use a flat spatula to turn the crêpes.
It s my first time to hear it. I am a Catholic that never celebrates this.
We celebrate in Europe, it is the day Jesus was presented to the Temple for the circumcision.
@LadyDuck We only acknowledge this by letting the males be circumcised here.
@Shavkat Males are not circumcised in Europe, only a very little percentage. Jewish and Muslims are circumcised.
Those crepes look delicious. Didn’t know about this tradition, neat to have learned :)
I like crêpes, they are a good dessert, not too sweet.
@LadyDuck do you have any filling in yours?
@infatuatedbby Not in those I made, as they were Crêpes Suzettes. You prepare the crêpes first, than you make a sauce with orange juice, sugar, heat on the stove, add the crêpes, pour orange liquor and flame the crêpes.
• Midland, Michigan
I love crepes and used to own a credit pan to make my own when I was in my twenties. When I was in school we visited Montreal and one restaurant was a house of crepes. Yum! Those were the days. I had some in the eighties at a mall in Detroit but none since. I didn't realize candlemas was similar to groundhogs day.
I have a flat pan to make crêpes, I bought it many years ago in France. I often make crepes at home, but sweet and savory. Candlemas is the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, only the superstition about the weather is similar to groundhog day.
• Midland, Michigan
@LadyDuck I didn't know there was a superstition about the weather over there to which just happens to fall on the same day as here. I was thinking we used to have a celebration for when Jesus was presented too but I don't recall if it was called that or a different name. I thought at first epiphany but see that's in January not this month. I've not been a catholic since I was 26 so I don't remember all of the celebratory days.
@MarshaMusselman Epiphany is the 6th of January, the celebration of the visit of the 3 wise kings to Jesus. Candlemas is "circumcision", the day Jesus was presented at the temple. Candlemas is also called Feast of the Presentation or Purification.
@wolfgirl569 (36770)
• Marion, Ohio
Just another cold day here.
Sunny today, they announced rain, but the sky is blue.
@wolfgirl569 (36770)
• Marion, Ohio
@LadyDuck We have sun too. Glad they were wrong
@wolfgirl569 This time I am glad they were wrong.
I have heard of Candlemas, but I never knew what it was. Thanks! I guess people like to entertain themselves with traditions during the cold months.
Crepes are always good, it's a nice excuse to make some and eat. It is sunny here, but from tomorrow the fog is back.
@LadyDuck The sun is trying to come out here, but it is petty cold. I want the snow to start melting a little, but it might not be too much today.
@snowy22315 It stayed cold despite the sun, but no rain at least.
@Matamu (1204)
To my knowledge, February 2 is Groundhog Day in Canada and the United States; Fatimah's Birthday / Mother's Day in Iran..
And now you know that it is Candlemas in Catholic countries. This is why myLot is so interesting, there is all the time something you can learn.
@Matamu (1204)
@LadyDuck Yeah, that's right, thanks.
@thelme55 (64152)
That sounds a fun game to play with the crepes. I have not heard of this holiday. Thanks for sharing.
I do not believe that you celebrate the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple in Germany... may be in your native country you do.
@thelme55 (64152)
@LadyDuck I don´t believe that either. I think we do that in the Philippines but I have not done it.
@thelme55 I know they surely celebrate in Spain... in Italy not as we did in the past.
@Nevena83 (58181)
• Serbia
I had never heard of that holiday. Sounds interesting, especially the part with pancakes.
May be you have this celebration with another name "Presentation of Jesus at the Temple for circumcision", this is the event.
@Nevena83 (58181)
• Serbia
@LadyDuck Yes, we have the Feast of the Presentation of Jesus.
@Nevena83 That is Candlemas.
• Semarang, Indonesia
Happy Candlemas. It's great to be able to celebrate by making your favorite food. The family will love it. Crepes are a light snack but make you want more
Thank you, we consider crepes a dessert, it's never served as a snack. Savory crepes are served as a started during a meal.
• Semarang, Indonesia
@LadyDuck okay. Thanks a lot for the information. Maybe I got wrong in thinking it is a snack
@HannahKusKus I do not think that they can be considered a snack.
Sounds like fun, but if I had done that with my students, I would have fallen off the chair in my high heels. My nephew’s birthday falls on February 2, which is Groundhog’s day here.
I would have not dared to play that game. I am sure I would have thrown crêpes on the head of the poor students. Belated happy birthday to your nephew.
Thank you! @LadyDuck Crepes are good for eating, not throwing.
@DianneN I fully agree and "flaming" crêpes would also be dangerous.
I don't remember that celebration at all
In Europe it is in France where it is the most celebrated.
@LadyDuck . Thanks for this info
@marlina You are welcome.
I've heard of your holiday, but not the details of it. It sounds interesting. I had an orange for my morning break today during my workday and a feta and aspargus crepe for my lunch. Its like I was celebrating right along side with you.
Candlemas is the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, I learnt about the crêpes tradition living in France. I am glad that you had a crêpe, we celebrated together.
@LadyDuck We did celebrate together.
Your crepes look delicious. We don't celebrate Candlemas but we have a Pancake day.
I remember you have Pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, our "Mardi Gras".
@LadyDuck Yes, that's right.
@jaboUK I remember that Barry told me about this Pancake Day.
@jobelbojel (21143)
I like crepes and would like to join the game so that I can have my crepes. That sounds exciting rather than getting it in the store.
I never buy crepes, I always make them myself at home. Students had fun with the game.
@jobelbojel (21143)
@LadyDuck I never make my own crepes. I go to the mall to buy.
@jobelbojel I never buy and I always make my crepes, if you knew how much better home made crepes are. Those you buy are "chewy".