Do they want it, or don't they?

@Fleura (15098)
United Kingdom
I’ve been a regular blood donor for about 30 years. I used to go to the regional donor centre because I worked not far away, and for a while afterwards because I was part of a trial which could only be carried out there. But now it’s more difficult to get there - it’s at least 40 minutes to cycle each way, while driving also takes an age because although it’s quicker to get there, and there are dedicated parking spaces for donors, it’s impossible to get to the donor spaces without queueing with all the other hospital traffic so it can take 15 to 20 minutes just to get in to park! I have missed appointments in the past because of this. So nowadays I try to go to one of the local ‘pop-up’ sessions instead, which are easier to cycle or drive to. Last spring I had an appointment arranged, but of course then Covid-19 hit, and it was cancelled. I made another for August, and again it was cancelled and re-arranged for November. That one was cancelled the day before. Almost immediately afterwards I got an email saying how blood donations were really needed! Then I got a telephone call to arrange a new appointment but after the operator looked around all ‘local’ sessions they were all many miles away or fully booked for months. So in the end I was forced to book at the regional centre, and even that was not until mid April. Yesterday the date finally arrived, which I had carefully written in my diary. Decided to drive so I could combine with a trip to pick up some plumbing supplies on the way home. Spent an irritating 15 minutes getting into the car park, only to be told that they had no record of my appointment. Not that day, or any other day. And no appointments available. Honestly, I’m trying to help, anyone would think they were doing me a favour! I give up. All rights reserved. © Text copyright Fleur 2021. Image by Arek Socha from Pixabay
@DaddyEvil (39059)
The same things have been happening here. I'm a universal blood donor so get emails all the time asking me to donate. I make appointments but they get cancelled. When I finally ask why they kept cancelling them I was told I was the one cancelling the appointments, which made absolutely no sense. I explained that I arrived each time only to be turned away. The nurse I was speaking with told me my appointments were kept open until I never showed up. I told her I wasn't going to fight with people to get in there, so they needed to figure out what was happening or they could stop emailing me. I have an appointment tomorrow. I'll see what happens.
@Fleura (15098)
That would be even more infuriating! At least they aren't trying to blame me for it. I hope tomorrow works out otherwise I would kick up a fuss!
@Fleura (15098)
Reminds me of when we were expecting Big One. I went to my first ultrasound scan appointment and my partner came with me. When we checked in they said we'd cancelled the appointment. Obviously I said we hadn't - why would we cancel it and then show up? Then they said 'Maybe some family member cancelled it'. I was speechless. We hadn't told a soul, not any friends, not our parents, no-one. Were they trying to suggest they had told someone else who could then have cancelled the appointment on our behalf? I was getting quite angry so they quickly said they could fit us in and no more was said - but I was sorry afterwards that I didn't get to the bottom of it.
@DaddyEvil (39059)
@Fleura I wouldn't have dropped it. Once, our electricity was cut off. When my wife called and asked what happened, they said I had shut it off. My wife handed me the phone and I asked why I'd shut off my own electricity. The receptionist said she had no idea but if I wanted it turned back on, they'd do that but charge me a fee for turning it back on. Of course, I refused to pay any fee but insisted they turn it back on anyway. They finally did, but both my wife and I were very upset about it.
@m_audrey6788 (41999)
When I was still working. I used to donate blood because they have activities like that but now I can`t. I have health issues that can`t anymore possible to donate
@Fleura (15098)
That's a shame, but you have done your bit when you could, no need to feel bad about it.
@Fleura Thanks
Yes I understand sometimes they just make it too hard to volunteer. Hopefully something will come up once the pandemic is over.
@Fleura (15098)
I hope so too. They send out a magazine telling you stories of how important blood donation is etc, but they might as well save the paper if you can't get there to donate any!
@Fleura They stopped taking my blood because I have been to Europe too many times, mad cow disease worries lol seemed pretty dumb reason to me!!
@Fleura (15098)
@BelleStarr That seems to have completely disappeared now. It's funny that it was such a big thing, and now it's just vanished, people born in the last 20-odd years have never even heard of it!
As you correctly say, you were trying to help, you are making them a favor and not vice versa. I cannot understand.
@Fleura (15098)
I hope the Swiss blood service is more efficient!
@Fleura Yes, it is. I cannot donate because I am anemic, but I know that those who donate are immediately received and they even have a free breakfast after donation.
@Fleura (15098)
@LadyDuck Wow that is impressive! We get a drink and a couple of biscuits!
I've also donated blood but don't do it any more because of diseases I had. It's a pity because I'm also a universal donor.
@Fleura (15098)
I think you can rest easy, you've done your bit : )
@Fleura Thank you for your friendly words! I was even a helper once when I was still a schoolgirl when the Red Cross organised a blood donating session (or whatever this is called) in our town. There is a school for further education where sailors go to who want to become captains or pilots. It was interesting to see how these men who had already travelled the world behaved when they donated blood. You could think that their end was near!
@Fleura (15098)
@MALUSE Yes I know what you mean! I often mention blood donation to people but you'd be surprised how many have some sort of excuse, some genuine, others not so much.
@lady1993 (25855)
I'd love to donate but I am underweight. I'm sorry that happened to you.
@Fleura (15098)
Hopefully things will get better when the general situation improves.
@Ronrybs (11597)
• London, England
Well, that really destroys your faith in the system. Hope you have better luck when you next decide to attend
@Fleura (15098)
Thanks, so do I! I want to help, and I have two friends who have needed transfusions (one after a birth, one during chemotherapy) so I feel as if I'm helping them too, in an indirect way, but they don't make it easy!
@Dena91 (12919)
It is odd that they didn't have any record of your appointment. At least you tried to give, that is important. I haven't given blood in a long time. The last 4-5 times I attempted they said that my iron was always to low which was odd because I always ate spinach and took iron pills.
@Fleura (15098)
Yes it was strange. I went through a phase like that too, which was strange because before, it was always fine - when they dropped my blood into the little tube of copper sulphate it dropped to the bottom like a stone!
I have an "in demand" type, but there is nothing nearby for a while. I could drive over an hour, but I am not sure that would be good for me at this time. I do give "power reds" or double reds which helps twice as many people. I can only give a limited number of times in a year, though.
@Fleura (15098)
Sometimes they don't make it easy do they? It would be crazy to drive for two hours, plus the donation time, that's half a day used up!
@CarolDM (131425)
Many places here are in need of blood. I suppose they are taking too many precautions as blood is always needed.
@prinzcy (23870)
I thought blood bank always need blood donations. They always run out.
@Fleura (15098)
They just don't seem to make it easy for donors!
@prinzcy (23870)
@Fleura they sure don't. It's like you need to work an effort to help them.
@Fleura (15098)
@prinzcy Exactly, I mean how much effort do they expect donors to make?