Do you know what this is?

@Fleura (14934)
United Kingdom
One of my friends subscribes to a regular veg box scheme, which means she gets a box of seasonal vegetables delivered to her home every week. Of course she just gets whatever is available, and sometimes doesn’t fancy it or gets too much of the same thing, so she passes any extras to us - we are willing to try anything, and we can usually reciprocate with something from the garden, or a few eggs in exchange. This week she handed over a bundle containing these. Do you know what they are? (I’m not really expecting readers outside Europe and maybe north America to recognise them). Have you ever eaten them and if so do you have a favourite recipe? All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2021.
Oh yes, I know that this is a cardoon ( Cynara cardunculus), it is of the family of artichokes, I know that my mother in law cooked them, but I never tried
@Fleura (14934)
You are spot on! Well done, give yourself some extra points!
@Fleura (14934)
We already ate some - I read that they could be made into fritters using chickpea (gram) flour, so instead I mixed the cooked cardoon with onion and made bhajis. This time I thought I would try this recipe with honey and pine nuts
Looking for cardoon recipes that are new and unusual -- and I come up with a particularly good one with honey, pine nuts and thyme.
@Fleura I made Indian pakora yesterday evening with onions, some vegetables and chickpea flour. I will pick up one during one of my morning walk and try it.
@myklj999 (56829)
• Olney, Illinois
Is it a celery? (I thought leek until I looked at a leek)
I think so too
@Fleura (14934)
It's a cardoon - a cultivated member of the thistle family.
@myklj999 (56829)
• Olney, Illinois
@Fleura Well I ain't never been very much cultivated I was just guessing because I kept thinking peanut butter.
@DaddyEvil (38953)
It looks like stalks of celery with the leaves cut off. What did you trade for it? (I can eat celery in soups and stews, but am not fond of it. *shrug*)
That`s what I`m also thinking
@Fleura (14934)
@m_audrey6788 @DaddyEvil Sorry, @LadyDuck is correct, it's a cardoon (stems of a plant related to a thistle).
@DaddyEvil (38953)
@Fleura I've never heard of "cardoon" before. I've glad someone figured it out. So now you know...
@xFiacre (9295)
@fluera I would have guessed celery but I suspect that you would not have asked if that had been the answer so I'll go with @ladyduck 's confident assertion that it is cardoon.
I am sure it is a cardoon.
@Fleura (14934)
You are quite right to trust @LadyDuck's judgement : )
@Janet357 (71869)
broccoli
@m_audrey6788 (41071)
I think it is celery. I love Chicken Celery soup. So delicious
@owlwings (43913)
• Cambridge, England
From your photo, it looks like some kind of mad cross between celery and sprouting broccoli. Is it Swiss Chard? Whatever it is, I'd be tempted to braise it, like celery, with a little oil, chicken stock and maybe some parmesan.
@DaddyEvil (38953)
If the stems were red, I would have guessed Swiss Chard or possibly rhubarb...
@owlwings (43913)
• Cambridge, England
@DaddyEvil Chard isn't always red. There are white and yellow varieties, too. However, this is green, which makes me lean towards celery - though there's something very odd about the colour!
@DaddyEvil (38953)
@owlwings I've never seen chard any color but red. I had no idea it came in other colors. I agree, I'm wondering if the stalks are a variation of celery I've not seen before. I thought the color was... different but thought maybe it's been too long since we bought any to be sure.
@Shxrubia (2616)
I have no idea what kind of vegetables is that
@Fleura (14934)
It's a cardoon, a type of thistle!
@Rashnag (10963)
• Thane, India
It's drumsticks I guess. It's very nutritious for health. Have a good day. Take care
• Nairobi, Kenya
It looks familiar but I can't tell very well because the part with leaves look like it has been chopped. Leaves help me know fast. I've eaten many types of vegetables although we call many of them with local names or mother tongue names
@Fleura (14934)
It's a cardoon - a type of thistle - and the leaf stalks are the part that is eaten. I don't know whether they are grown over there. They are not often seen here either!
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Fleura yes I remember. I see them in my rural home but we've never eaten. I didn't know it was edible
@Fleura (14934)
@mildredtabitha They certainly don't look very enticing!
• Pune, India
No idea. Never seen this thing before. What is it called?
@Fleura (14934)
It's a cardoon - a type of cultivated thistle. You eat the leaf stalks.
• Pune, India
@Fleura Produced out of Europe? bt any chance?
Of course it doesn’t quite look like celery, so I give up. I cheated and read the answers. Not something we make use of here, but that was nice of your friend to share it with you.
@Fleura (14934)
Yes it does look closest to celery, but the colour is more of a silvery grey. It's not something I've ever seen in shops here, but people do grow it at home. Only ever tried it once before.
@Fleura I hope you enjoy it. It sounds interesting.
It looks like celery.
@Fleura (14934)
Yes it does look closest to celery, but the colour is more of a silvery grey. It's a cardoon - a type of cultivated thistle - @LadyDuck is the only person who knew it!
@Fleura You are right it is more silvery grey, I think it's good for the liver, same as the artichokes.
@CarolDM (130053)
Looks like Anna knew the answer. Enjoy!
@Fleura (14934)
I tried a recipe where the cooked cardoon is chopped and mixed with sauteed onion and toasted pine nuts with a glaze of sherry and honey - it was really good!
@CarolDM (130053)
@Fleura Never had this but sounds good.
@Robinhuut (438)
• Bogor, Indonesia
In our place called lemongrass leaf is a plant that is often used as a flavoring or fragrance
@Fleura (14934)
There are certainly a lot of different plants eaten around the world!
I would have thought it was celery but I have learned a new vegetable.
@Fleura (14934)
They are not something you often see in the shops - at least not here.
I can't identify the plant, except knowing that they are leafstalks.
@Fleura (14934)
Yes, they are the stalks of a plant called a cardoon, like a huge silvery thistle!