Update on Brendel

@CarolDM (136726)
Just got back from the vet with Brendel. She has chronic kidney disease and has lost all hearing. How did I not know. I knew her hearing was less, but no idea she cannot hear at all. They gave her IV fluids today. I will take her back once a week for three weeks for fluids. Then the labs will be repeated. He said it appears to be stage two or three. There are only four stages. But he said to be optimistic as we go through the next few weeks of treatment. He changed her diet to strictly a special kidney can food. That will be fun, as she is a very picky eater. He said to add chicken broth and that often helps. She has a little arthritis. And he said that, along with kidney pain (along her back), is why she doesn't want to be picked up. Her weight is down to six pounds. And cats often get depression when they lose their hearing. Hoping for the best for Brendel. She is my baby. Turns 12 this year.
@JimBo452020 (50554)
• Montrose, Scotland
She is a lovely cat Carol. I hope for the best for Brendel Carol. I hope she doesn't get depressed. I missed signs that all was not well with Felix. Its easy to miss things Carol. I hope the next few weeks of treatment go well for Brendel. And that her quality of life remains good.
@CarolDM (136726)
Thank you! She is my baby. I rescued her from a shelter just in time. I want to give her the best I can. I appreciate your support.
@JimBo452020 (50554)
• Montrose, Scotland
@CarolDM I just hope you don't have.to make the.same.decision for.Brendel as I had to make.for Felix
@CarolDM (136726)
@JimBo452020 I had to do it for Momma Kitty in 2011, she was 24 but it was still heartbreaking.
I'm sorry she has kidney disease. I hope the treatments help and she is better after the treatments. Will her hearing return, or is it lost for good?
@CarolDM (136726)
He said her hearing is gone. Part of the aging process. She is only 12, but when I adopted her, not sure how long she had been outside or at the shelter, or what she was exposed to. A lady fed her outside before bringing her to the shelter. Her age is estimated.
@CarolDM I'm sorry her hearing is gone. I hope she can still have a quality of life.
@CarolDM (136726)
@just4him It is so heartbreaking but I know it could be worse. Thank you for your support.
@sallypup (45102)
• Moses Lake, Washington
How old is sweet Brendel? I hope those fluids help her. Prayers for your lovely girl.
@CarolDM (136726)
12 this year in September. Thanks!
@sallypup (45102)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@CarolDM Twelve? She's just past middle age then. Soft pets from me.
@CarolDM (136726)
@sallypup Yes. That is an estimated age since she was found outside before the shelter.
At just 6 pounds, she really is your little baby isn't she. It sounds like you have a very caring and sensitive vet looking after her Brendel's health issues. I hope that you see some improvement in a few weeks, I've got my fingers crossed for her.
@CarolDM (136726)
Yes and about half the size of the Dude. He is such a good cat, he sits away from her and gives her distance.
@CarolDM He probably senses that she isn't well.
@CarolDM (136726)
@Juliaacv I am sure of it.
wow. 6 pounds is really small for a cat. I would have made them give me the fluids and needle to administer the fluids myself. No reason for you to have to pay for all of those visits and treatments when it is easy enough to do at home. I had to give them to my black fluffy old lady for over a month and it was simple to do.
@CarolDM (136726)
I know, she has lost 4 pounds over the past year. They asked if I wanted to do the fluids at home and I prefer taking her in. They are only 5 minutes away. They will not charge a visit, only for the fluids.
@CarolDM well that is good that you won't keep being charged for office visits
@CarolDM (136726)
@NJChicaa I made sure of that up front.
@cool83 (3611)
• Sri Lanka
Really sad thing to hear , Hope your cat will be fine very soon
@CarolDM (136726)
Thank you.
@cool83 (3611)
• Sri Lanka
@CarolDM is your cat in the wet hospital or with you ?
@CarolDM (136726)
@cool83 No, she is at home for now.
Poor Brendel, I am sorry she is totally deaf and she has pain, she is so small.
@CarolDM (136726)
I knew she was losing weight but I couldn't get her to eat much. I will keep trying.
@CarolDM They are like humans, when in pain they do not feel like eating. Poor baby.
@CarolDM (136726)
@LadyDuck It breaks my heart.
@DocAndersen (41986)
i am so sorry. she is a joy, a light and like all lights burns bright. The best is yet to come! Fingers crossed and hopes sent her way!!!!
@CarolDM (136726)
Appreciate your continued support very much.
@DocAndersen (41986)
@CarolDM that is what friends do, sorry again.
@CarolDM (136726)
@ladyhero (3216)
I hope Brendel gets well soon, I'm sad to hear that she has kidney disease, what signs did you see from Brendel that you concluded she was sick?
@CarolDM (136726)
Thank you. I talked about her symptoms in this post.
Brendel is my baby. I adopted her right after losing Momma Kitty, (Dustin's cat) who lived 24 years. She has had a few issues here and there. And I have dealt...
@ladyhero (3216)
@CarolDM (136726)
@ladyhero Not very nice, she is really sick.
@LindaOHio (67243)
I hope the treatment goes well and that you can have her for several more years. I can understand why she doesn't want to be picked up. I often wonder if our Pomeranian, Ice, had something wrong with him because he would growl when I brushed him or tried to pet his body. He was fine with the head. I hope she will eat the special cat food and put on some weight. When our Norwegian Buhund, Inga, lost her sight she was very depressed and didn't want to be petted anymore or come near us. I hope Brendel continues to be an affectionate cat. Sending prayers and positive healing thoughts for her and you. Hugs.
@CarolDM (136726)
I hope so too. Hard to see them go down. They will often tell us subtly if they are in pain. Thanks for your support.
@LindaOHio (67243)
@CarolDM No problem. I know what a worry our fur babies can be.
• Israel
@CarolDM Sometimes it takes an outsider to see things we do not. I am sorry for the both of you. Does that mean that Brendel could be cured in the end? I hope you will have both of them for a very long time. Congrats to Brendel on your 12th birthday.
@CarolDM (136726)
She cannot be cured but they are trying to slow down the progression.
• Israel
@CarolDM I hope she will be with you for quite some time and Dude also.
@Rashnag (14384)
• Thane, India
Oh ok. Hope she recovers soon. Have a good day
@CarolDM (136726)
Thanks.
@Rashnag (14384)
• Thane, India
@CarolDM your welcome dear
@erictsuma (8885)
• Mombasa, Kenya
Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope the medication will help her. Have a nice day
@CarolDM (136726)
Thank you!
@erictsuma (8885)
• Mombasa, Kenya
@CarolDM you are welcome
My mom had a very hard time when smokey was depressed. It shocked us all but it really does happen. I learned long ago that cats have real human-like emotions. I would not be able to watch that over the course of weeks. I hope for the best.
@CarolDM (136726)
Thank you, I hope she improves. I watched Momma Kitty pass in 2011, not easy at all.
@CarolDM I am hoping too.
Sorry to hear about your cat. Prayers up!
@CarolDM (136726)
Thank you.
@prinzcy (26993)
Poor girl At least the vet is able to help her.
@CarolDM (136726)
The disease cannot be cured, they will try to slow it down.
I hope the best for you and Brendel. Poor kitty...my sister's cat went through something similar. Hopefully, you will have her another year with good care..
@CarolDM (136726)
Thank you. I hope so.
Wow she's going strong. reminds me of checking my oldest dog and so far he's doing okay.
@CarolDM (136726)
Not very strong lately.
@FourWalls (33516)
Oh, I hope she's able to continue with a good quality of life despite her problems.
@CarolDM (136726)
That is my hope as well. Thank you.
@wolfgirl569 (40748)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope the treatments help.
@CarolDM (136726)
Thanks Eva.