Making an entrance

@Fleura (16787)
United Kingdom
Whenever I’m out and about around the village, naturally I have a look at other houses as I pass. I like to admire other people’s gardens and take note of good ideas. But some things just make you think ‘WHY?’ This house is one of those. The entrance looks like Fort Knox. I can’t imagine why anyone would put an enormous fence like this, with a massive security gate, right in front of their house. Do they breed wolves or something?? And how does anyone get to the door? Unless they leave the gate unlocked, in which case it seems rather pointless. I’m glad I’m not trying to deliver anything there! All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2021.
@kareng (41393)
It is very private. I guess they don't want visitors!
@Fleura (16787)
They certainly give that impression! I wonder what the post-man does?
@kareng (41393)
@Fleura Perhaps they have a P.O. box at the local branch?
@Fleura (16787)
@kareng It's very rare here to have a P.O. box, they are not available in post offices in general.
@CarolDM (153836)
Maybe they were burglarized and want to feel safe. I understand privacy.
@Fleura (16787)
I can understand privacy, but that thick metal barred gate is something else. What are they keeping in there?
@CarolDM (153836)
@Fleura Their business I suppose.
@Fleura (16787)
@CarolDM I guess, as long as they are not hiding anything illegal. But it sure does look unfriendly and ugly as you walk by!
@maratai (5959)
Yes, you are right, this house looks very closed with a big fence at the door. Looks less attractive and not good. Looks a bit claustrophobic, it seems they are too afraid of thieves.
@Fleura (16787)
It really does look like a prison. And yet there is nothing at all in front of the other ground-floor windows, you could walk right up to them and look inside!
@maratai (5959)
@Fleura You are right my friend, the gate looks like a prison. When you see it makes you short of breath
@Fleura (16787)
@maratai Yes you would be wary of visiting there in case you couldn't escape!
@rakski (99311)
a nice house but the gate, oh goodness
@Fleura (16787)
Ugly hardly comes close, does it?
@rakski (99311)
@Fleura maybe the ones living there are celebrities. ahahaha
@Fleura (16787)
@rakski They must be very minor celebrities to buy a house only a few metres from the busy railway line!
@moffittjc (100249)
• Gainesville, Florida
They either live very private, secluded lives, or they are doing something highly illegal! haha
@Fleura (16787)
Since that house is not exactly secluded but is very close to neighbours and right next to a footpath I suspect the latter.
@moffittjc (100249)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Fleura Depending on what that illegal activity is, and how lucrative or profitable it is, you should knock on their door and tell them you want a piece of the action! haha
@Fleura (16787)
@moffittjc Tomorrow I will be walking past after dropping my car off at the garage. I will see if I can get a closer look.
It does make you wonder what is going on behind that gate for sure.
@Fleura (16787)
I think I will have to come up with some pretext to go to the door!
@Fleura I would love to hear what you find lol
@Fleura (16787)
@BelleStarr I think I will collect up some junk mail and then go and 'deliver' it there, probably while wearing a wig LOL
Don't know what possessed the house owner to do so.Maybe it was a design copied from what they saw in a movie.
@Fleura (16787)
It's quite horrible, and the ugly sections don't even match! And they leave their car on the outside of it which is even more peculiar!
@Fleura I think you are not alone in having a curiosity about why the house owner would do like that.Maybe their neighbours can help you lift the veil of it.
@Fleura (16787)
@changjiangzhibin89 On Friday I will be taking my car to the garage, and after dropping it off I will walk home up the path right past that house. I will certainly dawdle past.
@vandana7 (86535)
You give me hopes of getting that gold out of Fort Knox someday. LOL Seriously, the family may have a nasty dog or there may be some mysterious thing going on about it somebody needs to investigate and write a story.
@vandana7 (86535)
@Fleura They need to be sued. They are making me speculate and waste my precious time.
@Fleura (16787)
@vandana7 I will be walking past that house on Friday, I will try and get a closer look!
@Dena91 (15265)
I think that they either want privacy, or perhaps one day were victims of a break in. I kindda like it for privacy.
@Fleura (16787)
I can understand the desire for privacy, but the space enclosed by that enormous fence and thickly-barred gate must be only about 3 or 4 square metres. The shorter fence panel you can just see to the right borders the railway! Inside that would feel like a prison not an enjoyable private garden, surely! And why didn't they put the fence around all the house?
@Dena91 (15265)
@Fleura That is a good point, a fence around the entire home.
@Fleura (16787)
@Dena91 Because as it is, you could walk right up to the other ground-floor windows and look inside!
@dpk262006 (58732)
Those who are residing in the house wants to feel more secure, therefore, they would have made these kinds of arrangements. It is their personal choice and I think others cannot do much about it.
@Fleura (16787)
No we can't do much about it, only wonder... if they are so bothered about security, why didn't they fence all around the house?
@dpk262006 (58732)
@Fleura It's their choice. May be they didn't like the idea of fencing.
@oahuwriter (17028)
Probably, got valuables to protect and privacy.
@Fleura (16787)
Maybe, but then why don't they put the fence all around the house? As it is you can just walk right up to the other ground-floor windows!
@oahuwriter (17028)
@Fleura I don't know. Maybe they'll build more around their home.
@Anqaya (2198)
Maybe they are breeding wolves....big huge wolves in there. Hahaha just being sarcastic. Maybe they are afraid of covid a little too much.
@Fleura (16787)
I don't think that gate would stop covid, in spite of those thick bars!
@Anqaya (2198)
@Fleura I'm being ironic dear. Lol.
@moonandstars (54745)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
it looks suspicious or just lonely. not sure.
@Fleura (16787)
They surely don't get many visitors!
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Fleura that's for sure.
I do not know the reasons why people would do something like this, but it looks UGLY!
@Fleura (16787)
Doesn't it just. I wonder who lives there? May have to arrange to pass by more often just to see!
@Fleura It is a pain every time they have to go inside their home. It would interesting to have a look at the owners.
@youfiq (2245)
sometimes they want to protect the privacy of their family, or maybe something more secret and they can feel comfortable, maybe they are afraid of someone peeking when they are bathing or being dressed openly in the yard. such a high fence is normal for me
@Fleura (16787)
It really isn't normal here. Most people have just a low fence or wall around their front garden, and although many people have gates at the front they often leave them open. This gives the impression that something really dodgy or dangerous is going on there!
@S4mmyboy (3498)
• Mumbai, India
Well there can be many reasons why they put up such huge gate... The owner doesn't want people to know of their activities ..definitely some activities which he doesn't want people to know about.
@Fleura (16787)
I wonder what goes on there?
That is odd.
@Fleura (16787)
It is strange, and ugly!
@hotsummer (12888)
yes that gate or fence is very high indeed. specially in your country that would look weird indeed. but here in my country, houses having fences and gate are just normal. How I wish it is not the case as i love seeing open concept where you can see the front yard or garden of your neighbor. but then most houses here don't have garden at all.
@Fleura (16787)
Plenty of homes have fences and gates or walls, but usually those are to indicate the boundary and perhaps to keep pets in more than anything else, at least at the front of the house. This is very unusual.
All I can say is that is sure ugly,
@Fleura (16787)
Our thoughts exactly! Why would you put that right in front of your door?
@iKONICNoona (1803)
I thought that was your house. And from the way I see it , looks like its heavily guarded with tall gates and all.
@Fleura (16787)
No, it's practically the total opposite of our house - we don't have a gate or even a fence!