Houseplants

By DE
@DaddyEvil (81360)
It's feeling like fall outside so Pretty and I have brought in the houseplants we've got room to keep in the house this winter. Do you live in a country where you have to bring plants in when it starts getting too cold for them to stay outside? Do you have houseplants? What kind do you own? Some of my houseplants. Photo is mine.
@wolfgirl569 (55909)
• Marion, Ohio
I brought my 3 small trees in and some of my succulents today.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
We had to leave the lemongrass outside this year as well as one of the taro plants. We just don't have room for them all inside.
@wolfgirl569 (55909)
• Marion, Ohio
@DaddyEvil The lemongrass might come back next year. I dont know about the taro.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@wolfgirl569 If we put the taro into the ground, it might come back. It gets too cold for the lemongrass to live outside.
@xander6464 (34612)
• Wapello, Iowa
It feels like Fall here, too. If I had any houseplants, I suppose I'd bring them in.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
You don't even have houseplants? What kind of barbarian are you?
@xander6464 (34612)
• Wapello, Iowa
@DaddyEvil There are plenty of plants in the yard. No need to bring them inside.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@xander6464 Oh, so your that kind of barbarian... I have to have plants around or it doesn't feel like "home" to me. I like messing with them inside during the winter.
@prashu228 (37320)
No..I don't live in such country... I mostly grow vegetables.And fruits ...not interested in ornamental plants...
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Oh, I see... Some of my plants can be eaten... I just don't like the taste of taro. The oxalis is good, though.
@prashu228 (37320)
@DaddyEvil we don't eat taro...I dont know why..but my mom never cook taro .. I don't know about oxalis Some of your plants can be eaten...ohh ..I don't see such plants in picture....
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@prashu228 In that photo, all the way to the left and the very back is a taro plant. In the picture I've added here is the oxalis. The plant with some green leaves and some purple leaves shaped like shamrocks. Some of my plants. Photo is mine.
Yes, when it's cold in my city, I need to move the plants into the house because it's too cold outside,My family has bamboo and epipremnum aureum
@DaddyEvil (81360)
I have green striped bamboo growing in the yard. It's an evergreen here. And the second one we call Devil's Ivy and I have a big pot of it, too.
@DaddyEvil Ivy can climb walls and make it climb into the shape of a shed in the yard, which can be used to shade
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@zhangxueying That's true, but Devil's Ivy won't live if it gets too cold outside. And you shouldn't let ivy climb on a house or shed. The little roots it uses to climb the walls damage them.
@kaylachan (34264)
We have cats, so personally, keeping a house plant is a bad idea. Secondly, we do have some plants that can't handle the rare freezes and cold nights.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
I understand. Cats like to think houseplants are their person toilet. Do you know what kind of houseplants you've got?
@kaylachan (34264)
@DaddyEvil No. We has this one plant, we called vensent. We brought it in, in winter. Don't know what it was.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@kaylachan Oh, okay. Thank you.
Its funny that you brought houseplants in yesterday, my hubby took one out yesterday. While he was gone to put on his training courses, I was shopping. I wanted some small mums for the tables for the shower and then I will give them away as prizes for some of the games. I didn't think that I would find any as nobody has any since Thanksgiving last weekend, but I found a store that had some decent ones. I brought them home and kind of left them in the kitchen and then went back out shopping. When my hubby got home, I still wasn't back, so he put down 3 garbage bags and put the 6 pots on them. But the area in front of that window seemed crowded, so he took the poor sad excuse of a poinsetta outside, its days are numbered. Your coleus flower in the front will do well inside. I had one that grew taller then I stand one winter. We nick named him Tiny.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
You should have seen that coleus before we took him outside last spring. He was about 6 cm tall and looked spindly as all get out. He's been throwing fits about being brought back into the house. He's thrown three leaves off in two days.
@DaddyEvil Mine did that during the first month that I brought him in and it got bad because I remember thinking that he would die, then he grew and he grew and I told my hubby to call me Jack cuz I had a beanstalk growing up to the ceiling.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@Juliaacv That's funny! I hope ours doesn't die. He's the only plant we have that belongs to Pretty. She picked him out because his color is so striking.
I only have 3 and they're always indoors, it just gets too hot and dry outside for them
@DaddyEvil (81360)
I see... Some of my plants LOVE being outside until the colder temps start. One of them is throwing a temper tantrum because it doesn't like it inside very well. It's throwing leaves at us.
If I lived in a cooler area I could probably put mine outside but not here.
I brought inside my chili peppers, those I had still in pots... can you believe that there are mushrooms growing in the pots? I took photos, I have to transfer the photos to my computer.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Oh, wow! Do you know if the mushrooms are edible? We had some mushrooms that sprouted in the bell pepper planters but the squirrels ate them as soon as they sprouted. The cold killed our bell pepper plants but we harvested a half dozen green peppers from them this morning. I'd like to see the mushrooms when you get the photos transferred, please.
@DaddyEvil Those mushrooms are surely not toxic, but usually tasteless, or slightly hallucinogen. I will surly post a photo of those mushrooms, they are pretty. Today I go out and check if they also are in the garden.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@LadyDuck I know the squirrels like them. I saw some one morning and came back in to get Pretty to show her and we saw a squirrel running off and the mushrooms were gone.
@CuriousGab (3273)
The climate at my place is suitable for plants all the time. So we don't need to bring any plant inside.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Do you keep any plants inside your house?
@DaddyEvil We don't keep plants inside but we have a place inside our house called as 'angan' (courtyard) which is exposed to sky and sun,where we plant some veggies.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@CuriousGab Oh, I'm sorry. You have a nasty weed growing in your courtyard.
@nela13 (50580)
• Portugal
I have a garden and it isn't possible to bring those plants inside. You have very nice plants.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
I only brought in the plants I kept in pots outside. Most of the ones in the flowerbeds will survive outside over the winter. Thank you.
@nela13 (50580)
• Portugal
@DaddyEvil is it very cold there in the winter?
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@nela13 It can be well below freezing here for weeks at a time.
@arunima25 (74169)
• Bangalore, India
This time I have brought few of my plants indoors to save them from rain. The city where I live does not get extreme temperatures and the weather stays pleasant throughout the year. So plants stay happy indoors and outdoors.. You have a good collection of plants there
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Thank you. I'm sure my plants would prefer to live with you than with me. Well, except for the taro plants. They'd be scared if you took them home.
@arunima25 (74169)
• Bangalore, India
@DaddyEvil I don't mind having more and more plants but then where to accommodate them
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@arunima25 If it doesn't get too cold where you live, on the roof of your building.
I have some of that plants.. I don't know the name tho.. ha ha
@DaddyEvil (81360)
I like having plants inside my house. It makes me feel "at home" there. (Mom always had plants all around inside and outside our house when I was growing up.)
@DaddyEvil Ohh.. i see that's why you've been up for plants too.. My mom and dad also always have plants surrounds us.. my dad is a green thumb also
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@Hanbinandaeyo People here bring me their plants when the plants get sick or look like they're dying to see if I can help them. (Some people claim I have green thumbs starting at my shoulders. ) After I give the healthy plants back I also explain what I think might have been the problem with them and hope the people don't kill them after I leave.
@Vree0937 (4035)
My mom put plastic plant inside house cos I do not like alive plant inside, even if its flower. Have a moth later on
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Unless a moth comes inside when my door is open, I never see moths inside my house.
@Vree0937 (4035)
@DaddyEvil We had different weather. I also see in autumn, winter and early spring, there's no ants. Either the house really clean or due to cold, that ants is not coming. In my house, one tiny sugar out of jar, ants come partying :-(
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@Vree0937 Ants sleep from time it starts getting cold here until it gets warm in the spring. (I dust a powder using a makeup brush to kill the ants and bugs that come into my house. The powder is Diatomaceous earth. It is a kind of chalk that kills bugs when they get it on them.) It kills any type of bug.
What kind of houseplants are those? They look gorgeous.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Thank you. Let me think... The tall one in the top left is an Elephant's ear, the one beside it is a pothos plant, in front of it is an ivy, the white pot has I don't remember it's name and the red pot has a croton in it. The one in front is a coleus plant.
@DaddyEvil Beautiful and interesting names there.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@ihasaquestion I wish I could remember the name of the one plant. I had it in a glass of water all last winter and just planted it this past spring.
@cacay1 (70810)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
We have many house plants and since our climate is hot, they'll stay out rain or shine
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Yes, in that regard, you're much luckier than we are.
@cacay1 (70810)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@DaddyEvil but how nice to feel the cool air from nature not from a fan or air-conditioning.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@cacay1 We run fans and air conditioners here. During our summers it can reach 46C, which is much too hot for us.
We have moderate climate and so no need to bring the plants in. We have sansevieria though that we have kept inside as it purifies the air
@DaddyEvil (81360)
We call that mother-in-law's tongue. Mom always had several pots of those growing in the house.
@DaddyEvil Yes. We call that too but there are smaller versions too
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@allknowing Oh! I didn't know that. Thank you for telling me.
@oahuwriter (23424)
Part of my backyard 2021.
I live in Hawaii, tropical weather all year long. I've a small backyard and got potted plants.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
I recognize the aloes and the fern in the lower right. Is that one in the little pot an African Violet? And what is the tall one that looks a bit like a young palm plant?
@oahuwriter (23424)
@DaddyEvil I really don't know. It appeared one day and I've be just let it grow. Hadn't time to research it.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@oahuwriter Oh. Okay.
@CarolDM (186749)
I bring my deck plants inside to the garage for the winter. The others are fine. I rake a few leaves to go around them for protection.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Your garage is heated? We have a garage but it's not connected to the house so gets too cold for plants to live there over the winter.
@CarolDM (186749)
@DaddyEvil No, but it protects the plants I have.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@CarolDM Okay, I understand. Thanks.
@RubyHawk (62868)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I only have a avocado plants, heartvine and ivy. I have a snake plant I keep inside. I don’t have room for the others. They have to fend for themselves.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
Those you can see in that photo and some on top of the dryer in the laundry room are all we have room for. The rest live or die on their own.
@RubyHawk (62868)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@DaddyEvil That what my plants have to do. Poor things.
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@RubyHawk I always feel sad when I lost some.
@Nawsheen (28746)
• Mauritius
I have some houseplants and we keep them indoors whatever be the season. Unfortunately, I have no photos on my phone. I will try to take some photos and post them soon
@DaddyEvil (81360)
My plants are my babies... I take pictures of them all the time. I look forward to seeing the plants you have at home.
@Nawsheen (28746)
• Mauritius
@DaddyEvil I still haven't take the photos. I was so busy. I will take the photos soon
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@Nawsheen No rush. Whenever you have time is okay with me.