Almost killed by another bad Bay Area driver?

Walnut Creek, California
Driving to work. Someone in Martinez cuts me off, left to right. I slam on my brakes. The he slams on his brakes in front of me. I go to full brake and look in my rear view mirror. Nobody is behind me. The perp makes a right turn in front of me. Had I not been a baseball player throughout my life (I have the reflexes of a cat), I would have rear-ended the perp. Had someone been behind me, especially tailgating or texting, I would have been rear-ended. As it was, I went to work and played with the kids. Soon I go to Guitar Center. Have bad drivers ever cost you your life? I guess not. But have they ever caused you to be in an accident? Have you ever saved someone else's pathetic ass with your lightning-fast reflexes?
• Rockingham, Australia
Wow, you were lucky. There are some very bad drivers out there. You did very well under the circumstances.
• Walnut Creek, California
I did the best I could I went to full brake just after looking in the rear view mirror. The time difference was maybe 4/100s of a second.
@wolfgirl569 (55767)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad you avoided an accident. I hate drivers like that.
• Walnut Creek, California
You never know when they will appear.
@Deepizzaguy (67228)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I have had a few close calls driving in the streets in Metairie Louisiana which is a suburb of New Orleans when some drivers ran stop signs and red traffic lights at full speed that nearly caused a car accident many years ago.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Deepizzaguy Glad gangs were not involved. I've partied in New Orleans. I was presenting a paper at a conference there. People seemed really nice to me!
@Deepizzaguy (67228)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@TheHorse New Orleanians are good people.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Deepizzaguy That was my impression too. And racism didn't seem that bad there. I shot pool with a black guy and a white guy who seemed to be old buddies.
I am glad you did not have an accident, If you had been in the middle with you hitting the guy in front and a guy in back rear ending you you could have been an accordion, I hope you felt much better after being with the kids and best of luck to you at the Guitar Center,
• Walnut Creek, California
In the end, it was a "productive" day.
@kaylachan (34200)
I've been jarred before by someone's bad driving, but never in a full-on accident. Nothing I couldn't walk away from.
• Walnut Creek, California
I am glad to hear that.
@PhredWreck (7632)
• Olney, Illinois
Once 'pon a time when I coulda I mighta done so but I don't 'rectly 'member.
• Walnut Creek, California
I remember only my childhood days.
@moffittjc (105034)
• Gainesville, Florida
In 2019 I was rear-ended three times in a span of 2 months. All while stopped at red lights. Two of the three drivers that hit me were texting while driving. The third was a sweet old lady who accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of the break pedal. Sadly, in all three instances their cars were totaled while my truck only required a rear bumper.
• Walnut Creek, California
Did the texting drivers do some time in jail? I certainly hope so.
@moffittjc (105034)
• Gainesville, Florida
@TheHorse Up until recently, texting and driving wasn’t illegal in Florida.
• Walnut Creek, California
@moffittjc What the heck is responsible for that? It's been illegal here for a LONG time. But it is NOT enforced. I've read that it's more dangerous than drinking and driving.
@MarieCoyle (5482)
A few years ago, I did avoid a young man who ran right in front of my moving car. He had been walking on the sidewalk and just suddenly ran into the traffic, we were not at a stop sign or traffic light. I literally stood on my brakes to avoid hitting him as all lanes were full of cars and I had no other options. The car to my left did the same, but he did hit the young man. He also got rear ended, and so did the guy who rear ended him, chain reaction. Knocked him over and he got bruised. We were all at a standstill. The police came, all sorts of people, they took the kid to the hospital, he said he did it on a dare!!! He was ticketed and fined.
• Walnut Creek, California
I hope his parents had to pay for all of the damage to the cars.
@TheHorse I don't know, I do remember reading he had to pay all damages he caused for his little dare. Hopefully he had to work it off instead of a mommy and daddy pay for it thing, I think as I recall he was like 18. That's old enough not to take dares that endanger yourself and many others.
• Walnut Creek, California
@MarieCoyle I hope he worked it off.
So far, my lightening-fast reflexes have prevented all the accidents Well except for that time I backed up to turn around and smashed my friend's car. Oh and the time I backed the truck up and hit a sign, and ..... . Hey, no other drivers were ever involved! And I was never going forward. Do you know how much a new tail light costs for an Impala? I do.
• Walnut Creek, California
I can only imagine. Did you put it in yourself? I'm glad you were in an Impala, not a Mercedes.
@TheHorse Right now it is held together with duct tape. The light part still works. It will be over $400 to replace. That's from backing up at the carwash
@aninditasen (5807)
• Raurkela, India
Not I but my husband was a victim of bad drivers. He had a number of accidents in his life. In India some paid drivers and old drivers are very reckless in their driving. Yes, I once fell from a two wheelers back seat which my husband was riding at great speed and bruised myself badly. He was rebuked by the passersby.
• Walnut Creek, California
Two-wheelers? What is that?
• Raurkela, India
@TheHorse It's also called a scooter or a bike or a motorcycle.
@LindaOHio (95348)
Yes, I've been in some close encounters; but I drive defensively and have never been in an accident or received a ticket. I'm glad you didn't have an accident.
• Walnut Creek, California
Defensive driving is good driving. Knowing that half of all drivers are "below average," I stay away from other drivers.
@LindaOHio (95348)
@TheHorse Me too!
@xander6464 (34547)
• Wapello, Iowa
Bad drivers cost me my life all the time.
• Walnut Creek, California
Are you a ghost? What wisdom do you have about this mortal coil?
@xander6464 (34547)
• Wapello, Iowa
@TheHorse Yes and don't get me started on this mortal coil.
@RubyHawk (62651)
• Atlanta, Georgia
The only accidents I’ve had was when I stopped at a red light and a car behind me hit the back of my car, another time when I was parked in a parking lot I started backing up to get out and a car behind me did the same thing. We both bumped back ends.
• Walnut Creek, California
Blame is clear when someone is rear-ended.
@RubyHawk (62651)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse It is. Their insurance paid if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I have had cars pull right out in front of me before at night when the visibility isn't great. I too have good reflexes, probably why I have never been in a moving accident that was my fault.
@LeaPea2417 (33760)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have not had an incident. But I know what I will do if something like what you had happen happens to me,, ignore the other driver. I refuse to be murdered by a road rager. I've read too many articles lately about people being victims of road rage. It angers me.
@Shiva49 (24394)
It was raining very heavily with visibility almost nil. I heard a bang from behind but with so much of rain and traffic, I just drove on. The damage set me back over 100 dollars.
@Aquitaine24 (10676)
• San Jose, California
and they wonder why leaders want to make the road slower.
My husband was always good enough to avoid all bad drivers and to remain safe. The worst was when we were behind a truck loaded with small logs. Something broke and the logs started to fell on the road and my husband, quickly moved the car left and right to avoid to be hit, then finally accelerated and passed the truck, I lowered the windows and told them that they had a problem. He was driving his sport car.
@Aiana18 (288)
• Belo Horizonte, Brazil
I almost caused an accident by not paying attention when crossing the street. Once I also got off the bus at night and was about to cross the street. Feeling the cold air from the motorcycle right beside me. Another carelessness. Another time, a car came out of the corner and hit us across the street. The front of the car caught the bike's pedal but, thank God, it was nothing. My husband wanted to fight with the drunk driver and I was very afraid. Thank God he controlled himself. On another occasion, I was coming home when out of the blue there was a high speed opportunity. My husband has good reflexes and threw a motorcycle into the corner of the road. That day could have been fatal. It was the hand of God there. My husband has already had an accident when a dog crossed in front of his motorcycle on the road. And thank God he was not seriously injured.