Brand Names Vs. Store Brands

Boise, Idaho
I am really trying to economize. Not that I wasn't before but, yesterday we got a notification from Housing that our rent will be going up to 4 digits in the fall. Not sure how much Section 8 will help us out as yet. So, I am pondering how much I can save on groceries which is one of our larger bills each month. I already use quite a few products that are store brands and not the name brand I used to get. I find little or no difference. There are many that just seem to be more expensive and you are just paying for the brand and the ingredients are the same as the lesser store brands. Condiments, spices, and such. Do you find this to be true? And I have already added $100 to our grocery bill each month. I hope I won't have to take that and put it toward the rent. Ough!
@sallypup (49319)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Wow food costs bunches now. Do you have a store near you that has bulk food? I bought walnuts the other day in bulk so that I didn't have to buy an entire pound bag.
There are several options. Walmart shows bulk amounts on most things I buy so I have that option. And, there is a store that has barrels of such as walnuts and candies I can buy in bulk. Great idea. Thank you.
@sallypup .........I used to do that until last winter I bought a large bag of it. My daughter measured out the usual amount, soaked them overnight, and cooked them as we usually do. They were so bitter and hard. I thought I was saving money but these beans must have been there for years. I don't know if I will be buying any this winter. Or at least not a big bag and try to save.
@sallypup (49319)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@celticeagle Even canned beans cost tons more than they used to. I need to start buying the dried beans and soaking them overnight.
• Walnut Creek, California
I tend to use house brands when I can find them.
I do too unless they aren't good and then I go for a lower-priced name brand.
@TheHorse ......Pretty much.
• Walnut Creek, California
@celticeagle I have not found much of a difference. Soap. Shampoo. Buillon. All the same.
@TheSojourner (52171)
I've lived in the place I have for 9 years now. My rent was $980 when I started. Just rent. It went up a year later to $1280,; four years after that 1450; several months ago it went up to 1650. My rent now is more than 60% of my entire income. That's not counting gas and electric or anything else. It is a struggle and I do hope you find some help through your section 8.
That's a lot. I see where we might get a 10.5% COLA raise next year. I certainly hope so. Ours went from $624 in 2021 to $810 in 2022 and now $1050. It going up way too fast. There will be a little help but not much. We have been in this three bedroom for 20+ years.
@TheSojourner .......I was looking at some that would be a nice upgrade but it would cost us $1400 and with no help from Section 8.
@celticeagle I look at places off the base and they are about the same price I'm paying but for a really crappy place ...if I want something nice and about the same quality as what I have, I would have to pay about $2,200 for it.
@RubyHawk (67541)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I always buy store brands. They are the same food as brand names.
I do as much as possible.
@RubyHawk .....You can't?
@RubyHawk (67541)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@celticeagle You can’t find everything in store brands.
@SonjaRae (11493)
I am all about the genetic or store brands when I can. There are 2 things that I do notice I do not like; store brand peanut butter, and store brand mayonnaise.
I totally agree with those two. I have to have named brands on those.
@sallypup .........Sounds good.
@sallypup (49319)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@SonjaRae You would laugh at my fridge. We make our peanut butter, using a juicer so we have a bowl of peanut butter in the fridge. I make my mayo when I get to craving it.
@MarieCoyle (6937)
Hit the food pantries every time you get the chance. It will help you and your family a lot, and that's what they are for. If you have a crock pot, utilize it, as you can cook cheaper cuts of meats and still come out with a good dinner and maybe leftovers for another meal. See if there is a buynothing group or freebie group in your area, or a bartering group (facebook) and join them all. I have very little problems with store brands. I mostly shop Aldi, but their store brands are really good. Look up soup recipes online as it will soon be what I call soup weather. You can cook well and cook cheap, the problem being you don't get to eat out or buy processed items, but you will have good meals. I'm sorry it's so tough for you and your family. I have been through 18 months of pretty much hell, trying to help one of my grown children who has been extremely ill, and it sure has taken a toll on finances, so I do get it. I hope things get better for you soon.
With no transportation, it is hard to check these places. We used to use a crock pot until we wore it out. We have food delivered because we have no other way. I quit driving back in 2014. Really has become an issue lately. Taking care of family members can drain a person's finances for sure.
@MarieCoyle ........I wish I could do more so we didn't have to be in such a mess.
@celticeagle It certainly can, I know that from experience. I am so sorry you're having it so tough.
@BarBaraPrz (37682)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Sometimes brand name items can be cheaper than store brands, when the brand name item goes "on sale" and/or you have a coupon for it.
@BarBaraPrz (37682)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@celticeagle Always pays to check the prices.
@BarBaraPrz ...........Sure does.
Interesting.
@kaylachan (35960)
Buy in bulk when you can, and take a look at commonly used products. If you use a certain cereal for example, buy the bigger box and make it stretch. I've pinched pennies before, and still do even though I don't have to anymore. It's nice to know I can.
Yes, I do buy the bigger cereal bags. Buying bulk is a good idea. I will look into that. Thank you.
@kaylachan (35960)
@celticeagle Not a problem.
That's good if there's really no difference. Here, there's really a difference between the branded ones and those store brands. But sometimes there's very little to none but that's hard to find.
Interesting. Thanks.
@ShyBear88 (54414)
A lot of the girls the store bands is the same thing as the name brand they buy directly form the brand name company and slap there own and on it instead of the brand name. This makes it more coast efficient for them because they don’t have to pay the extra money to have the brand name displayed in the store. We also use SNAP which cover are food coast every month roughly about $1,800 for food at the store. That right there saves me about $700 I try to watch what we buy and get whatever is cheaper at the time.
Interesting. Thanks. I don't think I have ever had the opportunity to spend $1800 on food in a month. I just took our monthly grocery amount up to $400 from $300 it used to be for a long time.
@ShyBear88 (54414)
@celticeagle this all depends on where you live and how many people you have. These there is the feed the less money you need to spend. There is 5 of us total in my house and and 1 our is the 5 of us has extreme food allergies which means a strict diet so our food spending is high more so in the summer when 3 kids our home all of the time. Plus we live in a high expensive area no by choice just where we are ate currently till we have enough money to move and buy a house further away for the capital/ metropolitan area.
@ShyBear88 .......Oh, yes living in a capital/metro area is expensive. I live in a capitol city also. You have two more in your family than I do.
@TheSojourner (52171)
I am noticing that certain things cost more, I due by the things on sale, and I buy at discount places. I don't buy peanut butter generally but I make my own using peanuts, or I make other nut butters using whatever nuts I have on hand. I do Buy store brands. Thankfully the commissary has started running their own store brand called freedom's choice on some things
Nothing wrong with the store brands
Ouch, I hope not
@LindaOHio (99950)
We use a lot of store brands that are just as good as the name brands.
We are using more and more.