How Much do you Spend for a Smartphone?

By Arya
@yoalldudes (32591)
When my cellphone gets broken and I have to replace it, I will look for units that cost around $200 more or less. Spending more than that makes me feel like a spendthrift. But spending less makes me feel I might be getting a low quality one with small storage and battery that gets drained easily. For me, a phone is a big ticket item because we are not affluent family. So I guess I have to do some research and educate myself about cellphone specs and cellphone brands as well as be aware of my personal needs as far as cellphones go. I also intend to write the date I purchased a cellphone and take better care of it. Maintenance is another way of making it last. I remember watching Devil Wears Prada and Andrea throwing out the smartphone on a fountain as a sign of quitting her job and no longer willing to accept calls from her boss. I was like cellphones are disposable over there
@LindaOHio (98943)
My husband and I have basic flip phones.
@yoalldudes (32591)
I think that those are practical and have their advantages.
• Kenya
When it was in fashion here , people really bought them . They are good phones
@yoalldudes (32591)
@Laurakemunto Are they Nokia phones?
@Shiva49 (24678)
I got one recently for $ 120. I think it is good enough for me.
@yoalldudes (32591)
I hope when its time to replace mine I could find one at that price range with good functionalities. I am hoping technology gets cheaper over time as new and better products are released.
• Kenya
That's a nice one
@Shiva49 (24678)
@yoalldudes The latest gadget has a premium. I go for one which is one step below.
@DaddyEvil (86673)
I spend between $200 and $300 for mine. The cellphone I have now cost $250. It's a Moto G7 Power. It has the largest battery available for a phone and can accept a 2 TB SD card. It's also heading for 3 years old. (I normally buy a new phone around the 2 1/2 year mark but I just can't afford to do that this time.)
@yoalldudes (32591)
Oh wow you know your phone. I'm sure you got the best value for your money. I think I might look for durability in my next phone.
@DaddyEvil (86673)
@yoalldudes I was a cellphone salesman for over 15 years. I had to know what was good and what customers wouldn't want. Check out the Motorola phones when you're ready. Mine also has one of the best shatterproof screens on the market at the time. They make good phones but you do need to look at the specs before you buy one.
@yoalldudes (32591)
@DaddyEvil Is there something good in the $100 range? Will they get better and cheaper in the future?
I do not need to use a smartphone other than for texting and placing calls, I would stay under $ 300.
@yoalldudes (32591)
I use my phone for reading ebooks, eWallets and some other apps. I hope one day I can live a simpler life.
@yoalldudes I download the ebooks on my computer and I use the Kindle software to read them on my computer.
@yoalldudes (32591)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I mostly look at the battery capacity while buying a phone because you will need it to last a day if you are not near home.
@yoalldudes (32591)
Battery life is important to me too. The earliest phones take 1 week to get the battery to 0 now I have to charge the phone daily.
• Kenya
Very true
up to 200 euros but hopefully less, I basically only use mine as a camera
@yoalldudes (32591)
That is pretty much on the higher end and have better functionalities I believe.
@yoalldudes its got a good camera ;-) it was just a general figure Im not sure what I paid but it wouldnt have been more than that
@yoalldudes (32591)
@LeaPea2417 (34325)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have an Android phone. With the data plan included, I think overall it was about a hundred and twenty US dollars.
@yoalldudes (32591)
Were you satisfied with the purchase?
@LeaPea2417 (34325)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@yoalldudes Yes, it is a perfect phone for me.
• Kenya
Hahaha the last line funny. Yes I do careful research before buying a phone . I look also at the storage space and the cpu together with other important features
@yoalldudes (32591)
I am glad you find that part funny. I dont know if it just for the movie or that is the actual behavior of people with regards to phone in that place.
• Kenya
@yoalldudes some people have money and spending it on things like phone is no big deal and also some are careless spenders
@solidcodes (1342)
Onlyu Less than P 10,000 pesos I can only afford. Above that price is like wasting money already.
@yoalldudes (32591)
That is my threshold too. I hope it gets cheaper as new and better products are released.
I walk to a building and put in my social and get my phone free. I pay the monthly service for the connection If I lose the phone I think it is $20 to replace it. That works for me.
@yoalldudes (32591)
I believe this is a phone plan. That is a good option too. Although I avoid things where I would have to pay installments nowadays.
@yoalldudes I did for many years and would continue it if the option was available. How does your service work out there.
@yoalldudes (32591)
@sharon6345 There are also plans like yours but then I hated it because they would suddenly cut the service if I forgot to pay. So now I just use prepaid load which sometimes I can buy 20pesos for 1 peso on Shopee. Which is like 2cents in dollars.
@flapiz (17857)
My phone is 1,000 pounds when I bought it. I am not very flexible and can only use iphones. I also value photo quality. But at the time I bought it I was employed and I was able to pay for it in cash. If you ask me now if I'm gonna buy it I probably won't given my financial situation. I always think living within your means is good. If you have the money definitely invest in a decent one as it lasts longer and will be more beneficial than a cheap one in the long run.
@yoalldudes (32591)
That is in the high price range but that is expected of iphones. I do hope things get sorted out in your life and you get a good job.
@flapiz (17857)
@yoalldudes It is pretty pricey. Overpriced to be honest. I just don't know how to use android. Thank you. I hope so too.
@yoalldudes (32591)
@flapiz First time I bought Android phone I had to ask my daughter and officemates how to use it
@sjvg1976 (34949)
I bought my present phone at the price of $325 and it's been 3 years, it is working fine.
@yoalldudes (32591)
I beet that is a good quality phone.
@sjvg1976 (34949)
@yoalldudes yes it's good one.
@luisga814 (4346)
• Quezon City, Philippines
The maximum that I've spent when I've replaced my broken phone was I think 7000 pesos. I don't the conversion into dollars that time 3 years ago.
@yoalldudes (32591)
If I would do research maybe I can also buy a phone that fits my needs in that price range. I am starting to become a frugal grandma
@luisga814 (4346)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@yoalldudes Cheers
@May2k8 (16542)
For my new smartphone I spend it about $120, it's probably 12 hours of use every day
@yoalldudes (32591)
My screen time has become ridiculous as well. If I can find a good phone at that price when the time come that mine need to get replaced, I would have saved myself 3,000pesos.