Religious Rock Top Ten: Spirit in the Sky (#10)

Video screen grab
@FourWalls (49225)
For Thanksgiving and the upcoming Hanukkah/Christmas season I’m counting down my ten favorite songs from the era of rock with religious overtones. Although that was generally the late 60s through the mid-70s, you can still find traces of it today. I mean, Don Henley recorded “The Unclouded Day” on his first solo album in 1982! But these were all hits. Maybe I’ll do the album cuts later. Meanwhile, here’s the one everyone probably thought of right off the bat. #10: Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum This song, according to Norman Greenbaum (who was raised, and still is, an observant Orthodox Jew), was more inspired by “Ghost Riders in the Sky” than hymns. Stating that he grew up watching westerns, the thing that went through Greenbaum’s mind was the antithesis of the bad cowboy “trying to catch the devil’s herd” in the Stan Jones song that’s been made famous a billion times in western, country, and even rock. Here we have the “good cowboy” who has “never been a sinner, I’ve never sinned,” so he will be wearing the “white hat” (the symbol of the “good guy” in the old westerns) in eternity. Only in the 60s could you get a song like this from inspiration like that. Spirit in the Sky Written by Norman Greenbaum Recorded by Norman Greenbaum From Spirit in the Sky, 1970 When I lay me down to die:
Your browser isn’t supported anymore. Update it to get the best YouTube experience and our latest features. Learn moreRemind me later
• Walnut Creek, California
I never really liked that song, though I do remember it. Sh*t. Is that going to be my morning ear worm? Is My Sweet Lord gonna be number 1? Inquiring minds...
@FourWalls (49225)
No and no. Remember, my favorites not what was the biggest hit.
• Walnut Creek, California
@FourWalls I actually liked My Sweet Lord, even if some of it was "borrowed."
@FourWalls (49225)
@TheHorse — the court said “stolen,” not “borrowed.”
• Rockingham, Australia
I love this song. Thanks for the link too.
@FourWalls (49225)
Hey, I’m doing great this countdown thus far!
• Rockingham, Australia
@FourWalls Bring it on! Bring it on!
@BarBaraPrz (39300)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I've always liked it, even if he wrote it just to show how easy it was to write a hit song... or so I once heard. Unfortunately, he never had another hit.
@FourWalls (49225)
@DWDavis — maybe he was just stoned.
@FourWalls (49225)
Well, there was this song that predated “Spirit in the Sky”….
@DWDavis (20696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@FourWalls The Eggplant that Ate Chicago must be a metaphor for a giant vegetable consuming a large metropolitan area. Yes, I'm tired, very tired right now.
@DWDavis (20696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I always thought this song was an attempt at reflecting the indigenous tribes' belief in the one spirit creator. Perhaps this is what comes from a Jewish boy writing a song inspired by westerns.
@FourWalls (49225)
@DWDavis — that’s more like it!
@DWDavis (20696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@FourWalls I shall amend my conclusion: Perhaps this is what comes from a stoned Jewish boy writing a spiritual song inspired by westerns.
Yup. Love it.
@FourWalls (49225)
But it’s so old!!
@DWDavis (20696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@LouAvul (2246)
Of course I know this one. I can sing every word. Wanna hear it? No, trust me, you don't. I can't carry a tune in a bucket as they say.
@FourWalls (49225)
My bucket is dented, that’s how badly I sing. The funny thing is I can easily play songs by ear, but I just cannot sing.
Always loved this song, the music is so inspiring,
@FourWalls (49225)
This is a perfect introduction to late 60s rock!
• Walnut Creek, California
I hadn't realized he was an Orthodox Jew. But I never really researched him.
@Dena91 (18652)
Mike and I just heard this one a couple of days back in something we were watching.
@Dena91 (18652)
@FourWalls No it was in a tv show....and for the life of me I can't remember what it is right now
@LindaOHio (109106)
I LOVE this song...so does hubs.
@FourWalls (49225)
Cool! You have at least one song to come back to when the country song shows up.
• Walnut Creek, California
@FourWalls House of Gold by Hank Williams, Sr.?
@dgobucks226 (31544)
That was one rockin' religious song! Actually, you could say... "That's the spirit!" For that tune lifts one's spirits when hearing it And a spirit in the sky seems way better than the other place
@FourWalls (49225)
Yeah, people didn’t want to think about hell until the Stones wanted sympathy for the devil!
@CarolDM (198381)
A great song to have as a favorite. Glad you are sharing these.
@FourWalls (49225)
It’s so psychedelic 60s with the sound effects, isn’t it! Absolutely perfect for the time!
@CarolDM (198381)
@FourWalls That is the 60s for sure. My sister loved this era.
• Southend-On-Sea, England
Sounds good. I listened to the song.
@FourWalls (49225)
Glad you liked it.