Religious Rock Top Ten: Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season) (#8)

Video screen shot.
@FourWalls (49212)
Happy Thanksgiving to all of the myLotters in the U.S.A. And a good day to all of you throughout the world who aren’t stuffing yourself on turkey and dressing today. In honor of the religious theme of the holidays I’m counting down religion-based songs that were hits. Here’s today’s song. #8: Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season) - The Byrds Most people, even those who don’t know the Bible, can quote a little bit (if not all) of the 23rd Psalm (“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want”) or the “Lord’s Prayer” (“Our Father who art in Heaven”). If you know this song, you can quote Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, too! Folk icon Pete Seeger took the first eight verses of Ecclesiastes chapter 3 and put them to music, adding the line “turn, turn, tun” to make it less obvious that you were singing the Bible. He also added the line, “I swear it’s not too late” after “a time for peace.” The contrasts — “a time of love and a time of hate” — resonate throughout the verses. Ecclesiastes is ascribed to King Solomon, as are many of the writings in the book of Proverbs. There you’ll find numerous contrasts (“hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs”) as well. The Byrds covered the song in 1965, making it a lot more contemporary because of the buildup in Vietnam. #8: Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season) Adapted by Pete Seeger Recorded by the Byrds From Turn! Turn! Turn!, 1965 A time to gather stones:
Your browser isn’t supported anymore. Update it to get the best YouTube experience and our latest features. Learn moreRemind me later
Yup
@FourWalls (49212)
Oh, you’re just funning with me now. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
@TheSojourner (59088)
Now, that's a blast from the past! I remember this song back in the day. Even when I was in high school it was still very popular, but I went to a Baptist high school and everybody talked about it how it was a religious song.... And then there was the harmony that was so easily found when singing, so it became quite the hippie, Jesus movement kind of song, and lent itself well to what was going on with Calvary chapel, Dave Wilkerson, Nicky Cruz, and more out there in Southern California in the late 1960s and early '70s
@FourWalls (49212)
I’m a blast from the past, so naturally the music is going to be. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Super Dooper Cooper.
@FourWalls remember, I'm older! LOL and the same to you. Are you doing anything special? I'm going to the Chow hall.
@FourWalls (49212)
@TheSojourner — I just knocked off some turkey and taters, and I’m getting ready to make my apple pie dessert.
@RebeccasFarm (77451)
I need them..I love them..the Byrds
@FourWalls (49212)
I’m glad you didn’t say they were for the Byrds.
@DWDavis (20696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I've always enjoyed this song, both its meaning and its sound. If I'm not mistaken, these verses are the same ones Ren quotes in the original Footloose when arguing for the high school prom. I don't know if they're quoted in the remake. I couldn't stomach the idea of watching it.
@FourWalls (49212)
Huh? They remade Footloose? Never mind. They haven’t had an original idea in Hokeywood in a good 40 years.
@DWDavis (20696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@FourWalls The remake came out in 2011. I looked it up. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago.
@dgobucks226 (31544)
Their #1 chart topper of a cover says it all. Gospel meets rock on the wings of a dove (Byrd).
@FourWalls (49212)
Hold that “wings of a dove” thought….
@dgobucks226 (31544)
@FourWalls Aha! I see where this is going
@Beestring (8560)
Love this song. It was a hit in those days.
@FourWalls (49212)
We have a type of radio programming that only plays songs from that era.
@Beestring (8560)
@FourWalls That's great.
@BarBaraPrz (39300)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Yup yup yup! (Can you tell why I called this painting 'Ecclesiastes'?)
@BarBaraPrz (39300)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@FourWalls (49212)
Glad you like the song. That’s a gorgeous piece of artwork!! Yes, the “time to every purpose under Heaven” is in that painting.
@LeaPea2417 (35088)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Oh yes, I remember that song. It is a beautiful song.
@FourWalls (49212)
Great harmonies from the Byrds.
@wolfgirl569 (64937)
• Marion, Ohio
I remember that one. Always liked it.
@FourWalls (49212)
Certainly a rock classic!
@wolfgirl569 (64937)
• Marion, Ohio
@FourWalls Yes it is.
This has always been one song I really enjoy
@FourWalls (49212)
Glad you’re hearing a favorite again in this countdown! Hope you’ve had a good Thanksgiving.
@FourWalls got through Thanksgiving watching Thanksgiving Parades from NYC on YouTube and remembering when mom and I watched them together,
• Rockingham, Australia
This is a great song. The youth group I was involved with at our church used to play it.
@FourWalls (49212)
Really great tune, indeed!
@LindaOHio (109106)
I love this song. Had no idea it was religious.
@FourWalls (49212)
Some people don’t know that. Glad you enjoy the song.
@CarolDM (198357)
Another classic song. Enjoy your day as well.
@FourWalls (49212)
Thanks, it was great. Hope you, The Dude, and Brendel had a fine day. It was certainly good weather!
@CarolDM (198357)
@FourWalls A nice and quiet few days, thanks.
• Southend-On-Sea, England
Good choice of music.
@FourWalls (49212)
An all-time classic, for certain!
@LouAvul (2246)
I know this one well and can sing it also. My generation. My year, actually, born in 1965.
@FourWalls (49212)
I’m telling you I’m batting a thousand thus far!!!
@FourWalls Hi, greetings . . . .from Indonesia