November 9, 2007 11:13am CST
The other day I was listening to Radio 2 and there was a show about what a fire hazard Tea Light candles are, I was quite shocked to hear how lethal they actually are. If not in the right kind of holder they can set fire to the surface below them, and apparently some holders are not sufficient to protect the surface below from catching fire. The fire service are trying to have better warnings printed on the boxes they come in or get them banned altogether. Being a Wiccan I do quite a lot of candle magic and find tea lights convenient and useful as they come in a variety of colours and burn for a short time. I always new to put them on a suitable plate or in a holder but apparently some holders do not protect you adequately anyway, and some people think the tin tray the wax is contained in is safe to leave the candle in, it ISN'T. I've included a picture of what can happen if you leave a Tea Light on top of a telvision without a holder, it's scary.