Free Things to Do

@hcromer (2714)
What are some free things to do that are in Washington DC? I'm getting ready to go on a little vacation there and I'm trying to spend as little money as physically possible.
@ShepherdSpy (8565)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I've been visiting DC since My Brother Married and settled near there-If it's free you want,you can't throw a stick without hitting some kind of monument,Museum,or tourist attraction to visit.Just be prepared for a lot of walking! It depends on the time of Year you go..Generally,I'm usually there either in March or November when I do go (Taking in St Patrick's Day or Thanksgiving..) Depending on whether You'll be driving around or staying in the area,a day pass for the Metro system will get you everywhere you need to go-not too expensive. Places around the Mall within walking distance.. Capitol Building (Your tax dollars at work) Union Station (Historic Building,Shopping,Food Court,Metro station) Washington Monument (Impressive-Best views of the city from the top-when open to the public..) The Smithsonian Museums- (Now 8 of them,I think..haven't visited all! The Red Brick Smithsonian "Castle" Building is an information Centre for all the museums, including Air and Space Museum National History Museum Hirshhorn Museum (Sculpture) Bureau of Engraving and Printing (See what a Million bucks looks like close up,and the famous sign "The Buck STARTS Here"! Lincoln Memorial Jefferson Memorial FBI Building (Tour) The Vietnam Memorial The Old Post office Building (Second tallest Building in DC-worth a try if the Washington Monument isn't available,with a big food court on the ground floor,and sometimes concerts!) Depending on the time of Year,there are events and festivals going on with things to do and see..look out for those. The Tourmobile buses tour around nearly all of the visitor attractions,and you can get on and off as you like to explore the attraction that interests you most,or stay on and have the tour guide point out the interesting stuff. Did You Know (found this out last time I visited!) the actual "Watergate" that the (in)famous Centre takes it's name from,is a terrace of steps leading down to the Potomac River where visitors arrived and departed from by boat? Also Nearby here is a ferry boat that travels downriver to the Alexandria old town.. Good for a look around the old waterfront Architecture,shops,and Markets,passing Washington National Airport (Ronald Reagan) on the river on the way..
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
(Tourmobile isn't free,btw..but most attractions it'll take you to are!)
@maddysmommy (16243)
All the museums are free in the DC area or down "The Mall". Those are the only things I know that are free.
@Adelida2233 (1008)
The other thing I was going to reccommend before I hit post was to buy a Metro pass for however long you are going to be there. They sell them by the day as well, but its cheaper to get it for multiple days. There are some parts of DC that you do not, for any reason, want to walk through. The metro stations are everywhere that you would want to go, they are easily marked(color-coded and cross referenced 300 different ways). People can tell you are not from there, if you don't know where you are vs where you are going, just ask. Most people know the metro more than their car.
@JoyfulOne (6243)
Gosh, there's lots of free stuff to do in DC. There's the National Arboretum, most of the monuments are free (Washington monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial and others). There's the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, the White House (of course!), Arlington National Cemetary, the National Archives building (the orig. Declaration of Independence is here). I liked the Navy Museum, that's free too. (They have stuff from WWII and all kinds of neat naval stuff) Here's a cool link from WAVA, (a radio station serving Baltimore & DC area.) They've got 105 things listed there. (All the stuff I mentioned above I personally visited when I went :-) ALL this stuff is totally free to the public! Have fun and let us know what you visited. http://wabs.wava.com/concertsandevents/hundredfive.shtml