How to deal with someone who is mentally ill but won't seek treatment

Have you had to deal with someone who is mentally ill but refuses to seek treatment or admit they have a problem or rather doesn't understand they have a problem? I am by no means trying to sound harsh with my post, I'm genuinely concerned but am out of ideas. I have been dealing with someone for almost two years now who really shows signs of being schizophrenic or perhaps just delusional. In dealing with them they are extremely trying. It is at times like trying to explain logic to someone who is two years old who merely wants their own way, yet with an adult mind if that makes sense. They have done things from fabricating elaborate stories about themselves and those they know, to pretending to be things/persons they are not. I've distanced myself from them but I do still have some contact via the given situation. I'm just unsure how one should deal with someone like this. A part of me feels bad for someone being mentally ill, but another part of me just doesn't want to be anywhere near someone who is this ill but refuses to get help. What ideas or suggestions do you have? Have you dealt with someone like this? Namaste-Anora