Just Got Stung by a Bee

@Shar19 (8236)
United States
July 11, 2009 2:00pm CST
It's my own fault I know. I really should have known better. I was outside walking around in my bare feet and it happened...I got stung by a bee. The stinger was still in my toe. I told my husband and he came over and pulled the stinger out. It really hurt. I haven't been stung by a bee in years. I guess that's what I get for not having shoes on.
6 people like this
18 responses
@schulzie (4068)
• United States
12 Jul 09
Wow! That must have hurt so badly getting stung on your toe. You poor thing. I hope that you are doing better now. Lukily I have never been stung by a bee, I am sure that I would be allergic though as I am allergic to flea bites and mosquito bites. I swell up as soon as I get stung. Be careful walking around barefoot. You never know what might be on the ground or in the grass. Have a great day and happy myLotting!!!
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
Don't even get me started on those pesky mosquitoes. They have been biting me like crazy these past few days.
@sacmom (14338)
• United States
12 Jul 09
Ouch! I got stung by a bee for the very first time just last year. There were a bunch hanging around one of the faucets out in the yard. I made the mistake of putting my hand on the post next to it without looking. Well, I felt something wiggle under my hand, but by the time I realized it was a bee, it was too late. It had stung me. I pulled the stinger out of my finger and didn't think getting stung was so bad...until the next day. When I had woken up my finger was hot, swollen, and itched. Yikes!
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
It really smarts doesn't it? Those buggers are nasty. Glad you got the stinger out. My toe has been itching like crazy since it happened.
1 person likes this
@sacmom (14338)
• United States
14 Jul 09
It sure does! Though I probably made it worse because I didn't know there is a technique in getting the stinger out. I think I might have squeezed the stinger as I pulled it out, thus making more venom go into my finger. Otherwise it may not have been as bad as it was. If only my husband told me before I took the stinger out. Oh well, live and learn! I hope the itching ends soon. It's awful, isn't it?
• United States
12 Jul 09
i haven't gotten a sting in a good long time either. damn thing landed on my head,and when i went to shoo him,he stung me. right on my middle finger.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if the bee was mocking you.
1 person likes this
• United States
14 Jul 09
i think it thought my head was a daisy one confused bee..
@savypat (20248)
• United States
11 Jul 09
Soak a cotton pad in vinegar and it should help remove the pain. Out on the ranch we can hardly get through the Summer without someone being stung.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
• United States
11 Jul 09
That's a great tip, I've never heard of that. Thanks
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
I never heard of that one either. Thanks.
• India
12 Jul 09
Great experience my friend and a piece of sorrow also. I think I dont remember how many times I got stung by a bee or a wasp.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
Hopefully it won't happen again.
@anniefannie (1743)
• United States
12 Jul 09
i love going without my shoes out side i don't get stung but my kids did so they would not go out without shoes and still won't after all these years.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
I think I learned my lesson. I've been wearing my shoes now when I go out on the lawn.
@lilybug (21182)
• United States
12 Jul 09
I have never been stung by a bee. *KNOCK ON WOOD* I get spider bites and mosquito bites, but I have avoided the bee sting so far. I can't imagine it feels even remotely pleasant. I would be putting an ice pack on it and then some calamine lotion or something.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
You are so lucky to have never gotten stung. I really hope you never do.
• United Kingdom
12 Jul 09
That must have really hurt! I remember having an experience like that! When I was a teenager a friend and his dad took me to this Air Display. Anyway, I was sitting on the grass and made a slight movement and I only placed the palm of my hand on this Bee, slowly squashing it, poor thing, until I started to realise this tremendous pain! Well, that's the first and hopefully the last time I will ever be stung by a bee. I feel more sorry for the bee! It was only doing its job afterall!! Andrew
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
It always amazes me how people think they can squash a bee with their hand and not get stung by it. My husband tries to do that all the time. I'd rather get a magazine or a shoe to squash it.
@ahslack (487)
• Singapore
12 Jul 09
Sad to see that you have been stung by a bee.For me,i have not been stung by a bee yet because wheneven i see a bee hive or places that have bees flying around,i will not go close to them or disturb them.I hope you can recover soon,if your toe still hurts after some time,i suggest you to go to a doctor.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
I'm glad you haven't been stung yet. Hopefully you never will either.
• India
12 Jul 09
I havebeen stung by bees many a time and often on my arms.The best thing that you can do to manage the pain is to apply onion juice on the swollen part and it will alleviate the pain!!!
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
Another interesting tip. Thanks for responding.
@stephcjh (32385)
• United States
12 Jul 09
Ouch. I bet that did hurt. I have not been stung by a bee in a very long time either. I know when they sting, it does hurt quite a bit. I'm glad your husband got the stinger out.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
Lucky you. I hope the bees keep staying away from you.
@byfaithonly (10716)
• United States
12 Jul 09
Ouch - one of my son's is allergic to bee stings, he gets stung it's straight to the hospital, keep benedryl in the house but every time he gets stung the reaction is worse. So, barefoot were you? How's the bee?
@rosdimy (3936)
• Malaysia
12 Jul 09
If bees are a problem in your area, try stocking up on Apis Mell, a homoeopathic remedy. It works fast in reducing pain and any swelling. I remember a case where someone was stung by a bee while riding a motorcycle. His left eye was closed due to the swelling. After 15 minutes of taking Apis Mell, the swelling was almost gone. Everything was back to normal after 30 minutes. Apis Mell is a remedy made from bee sting. It is also effective against other types of sting.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
That is very interesting. I have never heard of that remedy before. I'll have to look around for it. Thanks for the tip.
• United States
12 Jul 09
i had that happen before but i am allergic to them infact they can kill me so i have to have a epi pen with me so if that happenes again i will be okay i try to stay as far away from them as i can so it don't happen ever again.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
I feel so sorry for people like you who are that allergic to them. I hope the bees leave you alone.
@JenInTN (27565)
• United States
11 Jul 09
I got stung pretty good last year on my hand. There were some nasty little yellow jackets with a nest in the ground of my yard. They are very aggressive little guys and I guess I ws to clos to their nest for their liking. I was allergic really bad as a child but over the years I grew out of my allergy. I am forever running around without my shoes on..I guess I have one coming too. Take care.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
That's one of the best things about summer - running around without shoes. It's the bees that ruin everything.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
• United States
11 Jul 09
I haven't seen a honey bee in so long I don't even remember when the last time was. I haven't been stung but I was biten by something that looked like an ant with wings the other day in the car and it hurt really bad. Hope your bee sting gets better and stops hurting.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
I wonder what that was that bit you. There are so many insects out there that bite.
@cynthiann (18572)
• Jamaica
11 Jul 09
Ouch that must have hurt you. I hope that it is a bit better now.= and that you are not allergic to bee stings or anything. I have gone into friend's discussions to answer a few posts as Mylot has not sent me any emails today. I remember as a child getting stung by a bee. It perched on my arm and the stupid man who lived next door told me to keep still and it would not bite me. It did bite even though I kept still. My mother made a paste of bicarboant of soda to put on it to take away the hurt. I have never fgorgotten this as at the tender age of 7 years I thought that grown ups knew everything. Blessings
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
It's amazing the things that we remember.
• United States
11 Jul 09
Well at least the bee is going to die so it won't sting anybody else. Sorry that happened to you. I hate stinging insects, hope you recover soon.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
14 Jul 09
I guess that was the only good thing huh? I saved another person from getting stung.