Do you have attitudes and beliefs that seem to contradict each other?

Pleasant Hill, California
For no particular reason, I was reflecting on my attitudes and beliefs this morning, and realized that some of them are contradictory. For example, I'm an animal lover, and sometimes prefer giving a dog a good scratch or a horse a treat over interacting with humans. And yet I eat meat. I love sports, and will never miss a chance to play catch with anyone, be it softball catch with an adult buddy or football catch with a kid. And yet I smoke now and then, and never go near a gym. I'm a pacifist, and have the ability to calm even inmates (in one of my former jobs) and engage them in constructive conversation. And yet I'm pro-death penalty (if it could be less expensive), and am for much harsher sentences for violent crimes than currently exist. Do you have attitudes or beliefs (I guess I should add "behaviors") that are contradictory?
That didn't really sound contradictory. Humans are all born omnivores not herbivores so eating some meat is normal and to love nature and animals is also normal. As for smoking, well, I used to and would advise against it especially since you seem active. There's a huge difference between being against violence or war and wanting those who commit heinous crimes to be put out of our misery, I don't find that contradictory at all.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Maybe they're not as contradictory as I think. I'm also pondering ways in which my attitudes and opinions have changed over time.
@saritflor (1711)
• Israel
No @rebelann eating other individual who HAS feeling it's not normal, it's a crime.
You have the right to your opinion but please do not tell me that I have to agree with you @saritflor
I never considered myself a people person, always a loner, and had a job in customer service for 11 years.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, that's a good one! I consider myself a bit of a a shy person, and I didn't always like performing music (people watching me), yet I'm a college professor and have to get up and lecture all the time.
@Drosophila (16735)
Same here! Technical support and I hate people. :)
@TheHorse I've gotten up to read some of my poems before the congregation at church and each time I shook like a leaf in the wind.
• Preston, England
I'm sure I do have such contradictions - being a meat eating animal lover is one of mine too
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. I bet many of us share that one!
@poehere (17720)
• French Polynesia
Truthfully I never thought of this before. I guess if you look at certain thing everyone in life can have them it just takes time to sit down and notice them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think the first one I noticed was my love of both animals and meat. When I talk to cows and chickens (yes, I talk to cows and chickens), I say things like, "How strange that I might eat you one day."
@poehere (17720)
• French Polynesia
@TheHorse Yes people do love animals and a lot of people will eat them. I personally don't eat meat. I will eat chickens but for some reason the ones I raise and feed I hate to cook them and eat them. I also raise rabbits. They are my babies and I love them a lot. My partner wants t kill them to eat them. I refuse to allow this one to happen. I know I have a giant aquarium full of tropical fish. I don't have a like or dislike one way or the other. I know I love fish and I do eat fish. But in some ways I don't feel lilke this is a conflict in my life. Not sure why. I just think about the fish I put in my aquarium and they would not be found in the ocean. Now if I had salt walter this one sure would be different for me.
I can't think of any contradictory beliefs at the moment, apart from the one you've mentioned about being both a meat eater and an animal lover.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I bet that one is pretty common.
This is controversial, but I am anti-abortion yet pro-choice, although I am completely against late-stage abortion. If the woman cannot decide within a couple months, then clearly she can take a couple more months to carry the baby to term.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good one! So am I. I'm pro-choice politically, but pro-life at ground zero. One of my favorite ever humans (a kid I worked with in Oakland) was supposed to be abortion, but the line was too long, his mother told me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@purplealabaster I agree entirely. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible, but they don't necessarily lead to developmental delays.
@saritflor (1711)
• Israel
Well for eating normative food (Not seeing any individual as "Food") in the 21 century it is consider to be something very strange. That's fine for me, though not always easy because I feel pain for all these poor individuals people see as "Food".
• Pleasant Hill, California
Including squash and broccoli?
@saritflor (1711)
• Israel
@TheHorse I can only feel joy from eating broccoli LOL
• Pleasant Hill, California
@saritflor Broccoli is good. Especially with salted butter.
@Lucky15 (33429)
Hmmm.. can not think of any, yet. Maybe it ia the one that i cry when a chicken is being.. you know but i love to eat chicken :(
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's why I chose a chicken for my photo. I love kicking back and feeding chickens by hand. And just watching them do their serious chicken things. But I eat them.
@Lucky15 (33429)
@TheHorse i can say no to have the chicken's neck to be cut but i can not say no to having chicken-'fried one on my plate. Sigh
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Lucky15 I think I'm kind of the same way. I wonder how I'd be different had I grown up on a farm and raised Fifi the cow and Ginger the chicken.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
We all have many contradictory opinions and morals. It is inevitable that some of the many standards that we develop during our lives will conflict.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Very true. Life experiences change our attitudes, yet we holed on to old ones. Do you have any contradictions that come to mind?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse None that come to mind at this moment, although I am quite confident that all my opinions will not concur with each other.
I am an animal lover but I will eat the meat from animals. Especiall a good steak.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm nice to moo cows we meet while hiking. But I love a good steak too.
@amnabas (9951)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Yesi do have behaviours and atitudes .
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do some of them contradict each other?
@mythociate (14985)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Everything is contradictory if you put it in the wrong context!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Can you give me an example or two?
@mythociate (14985)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
@TheHorse yes; the example I've been dealing with recently ... I'm a Christian--baptised as an infant, confirmed Catholic (son of St. Jude)--but don't necessarily "believe" a historical Jesus Christ existed (as portrayed in the Bible), and don't believe that prayer does what Christians say it does.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@mythociate Good example. I'd say...what SOME Christians say it does. Prayer does not heal Grandma oIr help a team win the Super Bowl. But it can put someone in touch with their personal spiritual center. Like you, I'm open to the possibility that Noah's Ark, Moses's parting of the Red Sea, and Jesus's crucifixion and resurrection are all just lovely metaphors, or parables, or stories...whatever they might be.
It is a survival issue really that we create such situations that contradict with each other. When our instincts take over we just have to go along in order to survive. Hope I have not confused you (lol)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Confusion isn't in my vocabulary. At least it wasn't. Heh. But I don't really need meat to survive I just like it.
@TheHorse In that case you can surely stop eating meat and give your attitude a green signal
• Pleasant Hill, California
@allknowing But it tastes so dang good.
cant remember any attitudes that contradicts with one another but most of it agrees with each other
• Pleasant Hill, California
Interesting. For some reason my inconsistencies don't bother me that much. They're a part of who I am. Are you a vegetarian?
@TheHorse yes veggie lover
@TheHorse why you ask
@Drosophila (16735)
I love food and try to diet?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hmm. is that really a contradiction?
@Drosophila (16735)
@TheHorse Yep, because diet is moderation and/or abstaining the food I love.. It's not a contradiction, it's a hardship. xD
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Drosophila Heh, that I can understand.
@nanette64 (17114)
• Fairfield, Texas
Wow, are we related @TheHorse ? Every one you named would be mine.
• Pleasant Hill, California
No, we're just both RIGHT. (smilay face emoticon)
I love most animals yet I eat meat, you aren't alone in this.
• Pleasant Hill, California
This was actually the first one that came to mind for me as I was thinking up this post.
@ridingbet (47036)
I have to have self-evaluation so I know if I am indeed a contradicting personality. (I am shy but I like to mingle with other people. I think this is one).
• Pleasant Hill, California
I can relate to that one as well!
I am an animal lover and love meat too. I see a lot of attitudes and beliefs that are contrary but that work pretty well.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't feel too much "cognitive dissonance."
@Platespinner (16533)
If we had no contradictory behaviours and attitudes I think our very humanity would be up for question.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What are some of yours? I think we "strive" for internal consistency, but none of us get there.