Did you get any?

By MysD
@mysdianait (64064)
Italy
Months of planning and then all the shopping. Then the cooking and preparing. Then everyone sits down at the table and the next thing is... the leftovers! They seem to go on and on for many meals later and it seems crazy! How could you possibly have prepared that much food Did you get any leftovers in your home too? Do you re-use them throw them out, give them away? Or maybe you are already back to cooking fresh stuff again?
We had a few left overs. Then my aunt and cousin brought us MORE of their left overs. I can't possibly eat any more turkey!
@mysdianait (64064)
Oh yes turkey seems to be never ending
@Marcyaz (35766)
So now that is all you have is a bunch of leftovers, what will you do with all that food? @ScribbledAdNauseum
@Marcyaz Well tonight is the last night to eat them so I suppose we will eat some and throw away what we couldn't finish. @mysdianait Ours was a small bird but we still have plenty left over. Luckily my aunt and cousin did not bring any turkey. They did bring roast though! yum!
@PhredWreck (6051)
I actually didn't bring any home this year.
@mysdianait (64064)
Because there was nothing to bring home or because you weren't asked to help out?
@mysdianait Because I left a bit early and without any warning.
@mysdianait (64064)
@PhredWreck Oh really? I checked to see if I had missed something in your posts but I see nothing, Is all ok?
@kevin1877uk (36942)
No it was just me for Christmas so nothing left over.
@mysdianait (64064)
Perfect! I guess that as you had to do the washing up too, you didn't use too many pots and pans
@kevin1877uk (36942)
@mysdianait Yeah I did no one else to do them and besides I don't mind doing the washing up.
@mysdianait (64064)
@kevin1877uk I don't mind doing it either. It's nice when it's all done though lol
I have some leftovers but not too much, only smoked ham. I have sliced it and frozen. I do not like to eat the same things for several days in a row.
@mysdianait (64064)
I don't either. We still had some after two days but I did not go back there again today to help out with them
@Marcyaz (35766)
I don't care eating the same things for days on end either. @LadyDuck
@mysdianait I am going through my recipes to see how I can recycle the sliced ham. I think with a Madera sauce can be a good idea.
We have enough leftovers for one more meal, which will be today. We don't overcook!
@mysdianait (64064)
Well done! I guess you know how much each of you will eat to so you can get the amounts right when yu prepare everything
@mysdianait After 18 years I'm pretty good at it!
@mysdianait (64064)
@AbbyGreenhill you are possibly the only person do the cooking too. Here there are four of us as we all make and take domething to my son's on the day but even though we discuss the menu there is always too much.
@thesids (22363)
• Bhubaneswar, India
When there are only a fixed set of people who are dining, things are more in control. Almost everyday the food is all finished. In case some of it is "leftover", we keep that in refrigerator and use it the next day. Mostly it serves as the next morning's breakfast, unless is it fish or other non-veg, in which case it gets added to the menu for lunch. But I am open to some servings in case there is some leftover at your place. I love eating food from different places (countries and friends) but am unsure if the make things the right way at the restaurants.
@mysdianait (64064)
We are always the same number of people at Christmas and Easter but nevertheless we always have leftovers Oh if I had known sooner you could have had some of the delicious lasagne but.. how would I have sent it as my PMs don't work
@ivyparkgirl Are you on a Copy, Paste, and repeat fest?
@thesids (22363)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@mysdianait I had asked one of our dear MyLotters from Portugal to send me a cake via mail but it never got delivered... probably they dont have any ant-proofing on emails
@zebra2222 (5115)
We didn't have many leftovers. It just isn't the same as the day the food is prepared.
@mysdianait (64064)
I agree that it usually isn't the same at all but sometimes something is even better. Reheated lasagne leftovers are often better than the first time round
@Marcyaz (35766)
@mysdianait Some things are better the second time around. @mysdianait
@mysdianait (64064)
@Marcyaz Definitely!
We went out to brunch, so no leftovers this year! Normally, we would get plenty of leftovers at my parents from Thanksgiving and New Year's too (we do the Japanese tradition on New Years, so my mother cooks up a storm). If we ever have a meal at my in laws, they never send anyone home with plates. I personally love leftovers and gladly welcome them!
@mysdianait (64064)
I am ok with them for one day but that is enough. My DIL always does plates but this year I went back the day after instead of bringing stuff home
We only buy what we need for the meal so there will be no left overs.
@mysdianait (64064)
That is what we promise to do every year but somehow it never works lol
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Left overs are a rarity in my home, mainly because I only prepare what I require.
@mysdianait (64064)
If only it was like that here too
No not this time.It was tempting but not.Too much sugar and cannot tolerated .
@mysdianait (64064)
Not sure whether you had no leftovers or whether you didn't use them.
@softbabe44 (5910)
• Vancouver, Washington
We had a lot of leftovers.
@mysdianait (64064)
Like us and there were still some after two days and four meals later!
• Marion, Kansas
@mysdianait After two meals as much as possible it gets tucked into the freezer. I have an almost entire chocolate mocha cake with whipped cream in the freezer.
@mysdianait (64064)
@GardenGerty The cake was a leftover? that would not have seen another day if it had been served here no matter how much we had already eaten
well if there are anygood things about living in this iresome retirement center its not hav ing to worry about left overs but these new owners have started this sack dinner on holidays and I see ts goof fo the staff bu mnot so good for us residents no hot meals but the new owners pretty much have shown things are no for the residents but for he staff.
@Elizaby (3591)
• Pensacola, Florida
If enough residents and families complain about this and other actions you think is wrong to state and when the inspectors are doing their annual evaluations, something will be done.
@mysdianait (64064)
@Hatley I can absolutely see the positives about being there and not having to worry about whether there are leftovers and what to do with them but cold meals on holidays? that is not right at all. I understand that it should be a holiday for the staff too but it is so wrong that yuo are given a cold meal , sort of like it or lump it, when they could have done it in a different manner and invlved the staf in the celebrations too. I hope that situation changes for you on future holidays
• Greece
I bought enough meat for two days for two people and three cats. All that I am left with is sweet things now, biscuits and cakes. Most of these I have frozen and will gradually get through them over the next few weeks.
@mysdianait (64064)
You sound like you were really well organised. Well done!
Very little leftovers as I don't tend to overdo it.
@mysdianait (64064)
That is how it should be but sadly here we all cook a bit extra and it just seems to last forever
@scheng1 (24813)
That is always the nightmare. We keep the leftovers in the fridge, and try to finish all the food within a week. By the time the leftovers are gone, everyone is heartily sick of all the meat.
@mysdianait (64064)
Ho kiddding! It just seems to last forever
@KristenH (23264)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Since I've made my own mini Christmas meal, I do have leftovers though of stuffing, turkey with gravy and yams, plus one roll and cranberry sauce. I also have leftovers from my mini Christmas brunch too.
@mysdianait (64064)
You don't sound too disappointed that you have them either methinks
@KristenH (23264)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@mysdianait Well I've planned to do leftovers on New Year's Day for my brunch and supper. This week is leftover week for sure. I've made more than enough for one.
@mysdianait (64064)
@KristenH That will make it an easy week for you as there will be little cooking
@yugocean (8055)
I eat properly and do not left my meal. It takes months and whole year for cultivation and preparation of food, it would be bad idea to throw away anything. If something is left, then better reuse it.
@mysdianait (64064)
Rarely is anything thrown away here too as it is simple to reuse things by inventing new recipes with the leftovers
@yugocean (8055)
@mysdianait When I was a lad, I used to feed my leftovers to abandoned animals, even now we feed them and it is not necessary to be leftover, any cooked roti or bread / milk / biscut is ok
@mysdianait (64064)
@yugocean That is so sweet of you I put stuff out on the balcony for the birds and I will post about that soon too
@richnonai (501)
• Pattaya, Thailand
Unfortunately, I spent the entire day downstairs at the postbox waiting for a package of lasagna, but alas, as usual it was a wasted day! HO HO HO, Humbug! Lots of food from parties I did not attend!
@mysdianait (64064)
Oh dear I really must get those lasagne on their way or I will never hear the end of this and will always feel so bad about it My DIL made them this year and I admit that I forgot to tell her that there was need of an extra portion There were some leftover too but it is not the case at all to send you those. Hold your breath and maybe in the New Year you will be luckier
• Pattaya, Thailand
@mysdianait I somehow doubt it, but love you anyway!
@mysdianait (64064)
@richnonai Well come to think of it, if I send you them then what will we talk about from then on?
@Platespinner (16532)
Not many leftovers this year, but we came home with a TON of sweet treats that the kids and I received as gifts. Queue the sugar coma! I love living off of leftovers for a day or two after a major event. It makes all the preparation work before hand feel just a little more worthwhile.
@mysdianait (64064)
I can put up with leftovers for a couple of days but no more as it becomes bptomg seeing them on the table time and time again. Go slowly with all that sweet stuff!
@mysdianait I'm going sugar-free with the turn of the calendar, so I'm trying to go really easy with it so I don't end up in serious sugar withdrawal. Fortunately there are five other people around here to help consume the stuff.
@mysdianait (64064)
@Platespinner Good for you! I am sure those around you are only yoo happy to help out lol