What Are We Afraid Of

Green Bay, Wisconsin
In the past week I've been surprised by several posts and comments I've seen. It all makes me wonder what we're afraid of. One post I read said how her name and username isn't her own. Another I just read showed how the pictures aren't hers but belong to someone else. I've seen locations for the US when the user is obviously from another country. I've read how using a name from this country gets better attention than to give their real name and location. Maybe I should be paranoid too. I've never been paranoid about anything, except maybe heights. That I shiver in my boots about. However, to be afraid of saying who I am and where I come from has never been a problem for me. Neither was driving through the park after dark when I was living elsewhere and gave someone a ride home. I thought she was going to have a fit right then and there. So what is the problem? We are an Internet society. If someone wanted to, and why would they want to, I'm sure it would be easy to figure out where you live. After all, they certainly have my phone number though I never gave it to anyone and I get marketing calls all the time. I even get e-mails from people and places I don't know, of course those all hit spam. I don't open them up, unlike another member of my family who did and got in trouble with his phone for doing so. So what is the problem? What does it matter where you live, or how many children you have or whether we see their pictures or not? I have nothing to hide from anyone. My name, my real name is visible for all to see. So is my age and where I live. I don't make a pretense out of my life. I've had my problems, and I've posted those problems. I've had my joys, and I've posted those too. I read all the time about the different weather situations from all over the world, and it gives me an idea where you live, despite where it says you live on your profile. I'm not a detective of any kind, but I just want to know - What are you afraid of? Thanks for reading.
@kevin1877uk (35489)
Yes if someone wants to find you then they will do, downside tot he internet. Me I'm kinda of afraid of deep water where I can see, although last summer I was simmer in the Californian creeks I may have overcome that.
It's good to face our fears. Though I'm scared of heights, I don't think I'll ever overcome it no matter how many times I step on my step stool. I do it because I have to not because I want to.
@tallawah (6634)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@just4him I am also kind of afraid of certain things, so I do them.
@Rollo1 (16662)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Well, there are some downsides to telling the whole truth. For instance, a Facebook profile can contain enough information for people to use to guess the answers to your security questions so they can reset passwords on your accounts online. I have more than just social media accounts - I do all my financial business online. So, I don't want to tell anyone anything they might use to access those accounts. I have been online since 1999 and I have learned that caution is not a bad thing.
That I can understand. I don't share that stuff either. It reminds me of the Lifeline or was it Life Lock commercial from a few years ago when you saw their Social Security number blasted on the side of the truck. I'd never do anything like that.
@tallawah (6634)
• Kingston, Jamaica
In Ja, before we got access to the 'Net in 1995 (five years late) we had local BBS. And on one, accounts were hacked. This taught us...1. Don't use an easy password; 2. Although many of us knew each other in R.L. there were those we didn't know who were viewing what we posted. We may be alone in our rooms, thinking that only Bladerunner, Forge, Airdog and Dyno can see it...but that is not true. We came onto the Highway with enough experience to protect us from the real hackers.
@tallawah I don't think we have enough to keep us protected any longer, not if someone really wanted to get at us.
I do not post pictures of my family for security reasons. My one son works for the United States government and did live in Europe, His wife finally got a job in the USA so now he will live in the USA and work for the government here. His three children are European-American citizens and were born in Great Britain. I hope with there strong British accents the kids will not be made fun of. My other two sons are in the army and I do not want them to be kidnapped because they are Americans so I will not post a picture of them either. Besides that Patches likes her picture being on here.
I can understand your reasoning because they are involved in the government. She's one gorgeous kitty and she knows it.
@jstory07 How sad. I'm glad you still have her.
@just4him Me to and all we want for now is her.
@Marcyaz (36191)
I'm not afraid of saying where I live and how old I am but it seems some people are. I have seen people say they are from one place but yet you can tell they are not from there. I guess they just want to keep people wondering.
It is interesting when you see a California location and they are talking typhoons. Good clue they aren't from California or the US.
@Marcyaz (36191)
@just4him Yes and also just what they talk about is a clue also.
@tallawah (6634)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@just4him I wrote something about that once...maybe things have changed...but for many, to admit they aren't Americans often makes people judge them as less. It happened to me on Delphiforums....as me I was...well ... insulted...my views were kicked aside. Even the facts, the truth, the reality was kicked. When I pretended I lived in America, I got respect.
@Inlemay (17077)
• South Africa
If you cannt be true to yourself - you are most certainly not BLUFFING the world - I agree, what are people afraid of?
I agree, you can't bluff the world. They have your phone number and they know where you live and you didn't give them that information either.
@tallawah (6634)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@just4him nah...they don't have my phone number...they don't know where I live...
@Inlemay (17077)
• South Africa
@tallawah ah ha - but now they have your snapshot!!!
@amnabas (9681)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I am afraid of travelling alone .i always need a companion to travel along.
I've been a loner all my life so doing things alone never bothered me.
@tallawah (6634)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@just4him Depends on where you are...for example, friend of mine who live in England for years is afraid to go anywhere alone. Considering Ja is in the top ten of most murderous countries and Kingston 36 in the World's most dangerous cities...
@tallawah You're still alive. I figure if it's my time, it won't matter where I live or what I'm doing.
@mom210 (5818)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have been told I should not put the pictures of my kids on the net as well. I use my name, Kimberley and post pictures of my kids. My mom is always telling me to lock my doors, I just have not had a reason to be afraid I guess, maybe I should be. I like knowing your name, it makes me feel like we are friends.
I agree. It makes it real to me. I too feel we are friends.
• Marion, Kansas
@just4him I use a pseudonym, but not to hide, because my real name is on my profile. Online I just have been GardenGerty for so long it would confuse me to be called Heather. Also, there are fewer Gerty people than Heathers. It makes me feel unique.
@GardenGerty I don't want to confuse you.
@UncleJoe (6939)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Anybody who wants to is welcome to come find me. They just might not like what they find! LOL
Good one Uncle Joe.
@mommaj (22659)
@UncleJoe Well now we know.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am afraid of snakes, not the Internet. I have been writing for 15 years and shopping on the Internet for even longer. I don't use my real name here but I do on many other sites and I call myself Isabelle all the time. I am cautious but not paranoid about security.
It's what you're used to going by. I can understand that. I was called a nickname until I was in fourth grade. If I had kept it up, I would probably be called that instead of Valerie.
The only thing that I am afraid if my family is not safe. I can do everything for people closed to my heart.
I agree. Our loved ones safety is always primary.
I have noticed that some users pretends to be live in the "United States", but they have a broken English and seem not to know the area where they live. I use an avatar, but my name is my real name, Anna and I really live in Switzerland, even if I am Italian and I never lied on this.
@fishtiger58 (27168)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't post a picture of myself for basically one reason, I take horrible pictures lol. I'm not afraid of anyone finding me, I think
@mommaj (22659)
LOL I have the same problem. I tried to take a selfie and let's just say I didn't get what I was aiming at.
@patgalca (13721)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@mommaj My picture is the first decent selfie I have taken of myself. I doubt I would be able to do it again. LOL!
@mommaj (22659)
@patgalca You did a really great job. It looks like a professional picture.
I worked in computers, and I know how much information people can get, even without people giving out their real information. I have also worked for a victim advocacy agency, and I know how dangerous that information can be in the wrong hands. I am all about my privacy, and I do not intend to make it any easier for anyone to find me.
@mommaj (22659)
@purplealabaster I am completely with you on this one. However, I still need that purple glitter to make the centerpiece... I have two kids and I'm not going to share their information or pictures with just anyone. I have to deal with enough to be worried about who is looking at what and where. It's never a good idea to put too much personal information out there. You never know who is looking at it or why. I'm not worried about anyone finding me. I can take care of myself. I am worried about what people might do with my info. (credit cards, bank loans, loans of any kind, getting in to see drs., using my name for what they do as in true identity theft.)
@mommaj Unfortunately I was stalked ... and not in the fun and playful way that we do it on here. That in and of itself was enough to make me wary of sharing too much personal information, even with people I meet offline one-on-one, so I certainly do not want to put out too much personal information on a forum where it is accessible to anyone and everyone. Then, I have to worry about the safety of my children just because they are children. Add to that the knowledge that they are easy targets to someone stalking me, and that only increases the fear and cautiousness that I feel.
@mommaj (22659)
@purplealabaster That is a horrible position to be put in. No one should feel like a victim. I have been stalked before so I understand that. I knew my stalker and even approached him on the matter. He said it was a public place and he just happened to be there. I asked and all the other places? I learned not to ever be afraid of anyone. I worry about my kids safety that's why their pictures aren't public. I hope your problem has been taken care of.
@tallawah (6634)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Becoming a RL victim is live. Pederests view images of children posted by parents online and make selections. (Facebook Entry; real names are used. "We've just moved to Jacksonville and have just gotten our kinds into Captain's school on New lane. It's supposed to be the best school in the state of Florida!") How hard is it for someone, 100 miles away to be able to take that bus, go to that school and see that child and say..."Gerry! Hi, I'm your Uncle Rupert. Your Mom, Chrissie, is my sister! She sent me to collect you..." This is not paranoia. This is only one example.
Something like that actually happened very close to where I live. It is a small community, and someone was posting personal information on Facebook. This lead the person to the child's profile, and the person pretended to be in a student in a nearby school. He was really a middle-aged adult and tried to kidnap the girl when they met up. Fortunately, he was unsuccessful, and he was arrested. Intellectually I know that this can happen anywhere, but it still was quite a shock seeing it in the news happening so close to home.
@tallawah (6634)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@purplealabaster you can't post stuff on Facebook or anywhere. Sure if you live in Ja where I do, unless you are a well trained battalion of Navy Seals, armed to the teeth, you won't get onto my road, much less to the bridge. And considering the level of Obeah in my area, not all their body parts might be discovered. (You don't want to know).
@tallawah I suspect the person felt safe, because as I say it is a small community. The person that was arrested, on the other hand, was not a member of this community. In fact, he traveled several hundred miles to come to this area. I also suspect that he thought he would be safe as long as he took the girl back to where he lived, because he lived in an overcrowded city. That proves that you are not safe regardless of where you live .., except maybe in Jamaica or some other countries, because I do not know the terrain or how difficult it is to find people there.
@T_gray (7900)
• Salina, Kansas
i am not afraid of having my name and picture out there, even though its not, I guess I just like to be a mystery. hehehe. No, I was actually following in my Dad's footsteps when I picked my name and never cared for my photo anyway. Maybe someday, but now I don't want to change my photo as I don't want to confuse anyone. So I just leave it alone.
Not like some who change theirs daily? You have a nice picture. I look forward to the day you show the real you. You'll need to do that so I know it's you when you show up on my doorstep when you come this way
@T_gray (7900)
• Salina, Kansas
@just4him Hehe. I will for sure. I am looking forward to it. I told my roommate about it. I really do want to go up there this summer sometime if I can save up enough. I mean gas money would be little to nothing though with the prices right now.
@T_gray I do like the prices right now for gas. It beats what I was paying just a year ago.
@Raelove (13658)
• Saco, Maine
I agree. Privacy is a thing of the past, and to think we can remain completely anonymous is foolish and unrealistic. Big Brother doesn't need to work very hard anymore to keep tabs on us. Our IP addresses and our Soc. Sec. numbers are all he needs now. On another note, there are individuals who do need to be a bit careful. I have a friend who comes from a military family. She, her husband, and one son all served. Her son still serves, and for awhile, she used her Facebook page to report on all his comings and goings. Then suddenly, she closed her account down. When she reopened it, all she talked about were her crafts, the things she did with her kids and grandkids, just general stuff. I have no doubt that she was told to stop disseminating the information from a military standpoint. They do have a security protocol to follow, which makes some sense.
I agree. I'm sure she was told not to talk about her family anymore. It could put them in danger of another kind. Big brother won't even need to worry about getting all our information with the way things are going, it will be at his fingertips. Just look at all he knows already, getting the rest is just a technological advancement away.
@Raelove (13658)
• Saco, Maine
@just4him That's it. And with drones capable of looking inside our homes, what else does he need?
@Raelove Nothing.
@tammys85 (7024)
I was taught when I was younger that it wasn't safe to post my personal information online, so I don't share a lot. The things I do share though, are legit. I'd rather just not share the info than to lie about it.
That's a good policy.
@rosekiss (30115)
• Eugene, Oregon
I don't use my real name, but not becasue I am afraid to or not afraid to, it is because I like the username that my daughter gave me, so it has stuck with me. I do live in the United States, in the state of Oregon, and my first name is Karen. There I said my name and it didn't hurt one bit.
Your world is still together It's nice to meet you Karen.
@rosekiss (30115)
• Eugene, Oregon
@just4him It is nice to meet you too. I just posted a discussion about the changing it so feel free to check it out if you wish. I am not afraid, and besides, if someone wants to find me, they can find me easily. as it doesn't take much nowadays, even without putting a lot of information on the internet.
@rosekiss So true.
I wonder about this too. I have a celtic or mystic knot up because it is a part of my heritiage. I have tossed around putting my picture on here but would rather not. I really don't have a reason. I just like the knot and I've had it up for so long I like it.
I really like the knot, and yes, when I see it I know it's you.
@just4him ...Thanks. I do too. I don't really care to change things.
@celticeagle I don't like change either. Though I'm thinking about changing my avatar, but if I do before I get the hard drive information retrieved from the old desktop, I won't have that picture anymore.
@boiboing (12533)
• Northampton, England
I'm interested that you think people are faking living in the USA. I just assumed they were recent immigrants whose English wasn't very good but maybe you're right and it's all a 'front'.
There is one person I see occasionally that has a California city and state location on his info, like you have Northampton, England, yet the posts he makes and the time he's on is definitely from the Philippines, especially as he will make comments about certain cities and provinces and the climate of the Philippines.
@boiboing (12533)
• Northampton, England
@just4him I don't think anybody would ever aspire to live in Northampton. I'm just far enough away from the town to avoid most of it.
@boiboing I don't know. Everything I've read about your little hamlet intrigues me. I would love to visit it.