How do you deal with horrible traffic?

This probably seems like a dumb question. But honestly I have never really had to deal with traffic usually because I have always worked a little earlier than rush hour or as of late, much later than rush hour. I have been picking up some overtime at my job the last couple of days requiring me to start at 6PM instead of the usual 830PM. I didnt even think about how crappy it would be to have to head downtown around 515 PM. I got stuck behind so many left turners and almost got hit by 2 different reckless drivers! And the sad part is I live less than five miles from my job and it requires zero highway commute. Agh!!!! How do you handle it?
@egdcltd (5838)
I work from, and often at, home, so I simply avoid rush hour. Or rush two-three hours as it sometimes seems nowadays.
Is it possible to take the subway?
@pumpkinjam (5697)
I usually manage to avoid rush hour but when I do hit it, I just take a breath, put some music on, and don't look at the clock too often!
@dodo19 (27755)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Like you, I've never had to deal with traffic. When I worked in an office, I had to go to work when there was no traffic. I'd be working from 1:30 to 9. Now, I don't even have to deal with at all, since I work at home.
I stay home a lot lol but yeah I remember how brutal it is around 5.