The Haunted Ghost Pepper

@moffittjc (45238)
Gainesville, Florida
Never one to turn down a dare, I took my son up on his offer to try a ghost pepper, one of the hottest peppers known to man. You see, the kid loves spicy foods, and so he's been wanting to try a ghost pepper for a while now, but was afraid to try it on his own. So, he dared me to do it. And, of course, I obliged. That was an hour ago. And my mouth is still on fire, and I'm still crying like a baby. I cannot get the fire out of my mouth, nor can I get these tears to stop rolling down my cheeks. Let's face it, the ghost pepper kicked my butt! And why did I call it a haunted ghost pepper in my title? Because this thing is going to haunt me all night long. I just know it! My advice to you: don't...I repeat DO NOT, try a ghost pepper, not even if someone triple dog dares you! Oh, and my son? Yeah, he never ended up trying the ghost pepper. Go figure!
@CRK109 (14413)
My father was notorious for eating hot peppers throughout his life. I could never figure out how they didn't kill him. But he told me that one secret (at least for him) to cut through the fire was bread. As for me....I'll pass! lol
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I tried bread, and it didn't work in this case, but it has helped in other situations where i've eaten hot peppers.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Lupita234 My son eats peppers for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner. And snack time. haha
@CRK109 (14413)
@moffittjc So he's the one with the cast iron stomach I've heard of!
How do i put this kindly...if you think they were hot going in wait until tomorrow
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I am not looking forward to that moment tomorrow at all! LOL It's probably going to be hotter coming out than it was going in.
@moffittjc most definitely..may want to keep a fire extinguisher handy...
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Happy2BeMe Yeah, I can hook that fire extinguisher up to a bodet! haha I'm going to need something to quench the burn.
Hopefully it didn't clean ya completely out as it travelled through your system! I can't even do jalapeno peppers.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oh, it definitely cleaned me out. I think I found a new low-cost cleansing system! haha
@moffittjc stomach bug works great too!
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElusiveButterfly But unfortunately, a stomach bug doesn't feel too good, even though it is effective at cleaning the pipes.
@shebish (788)
• Egypt
Some of those peppers have a bite to them , ghost pepper obviously a good name for it.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like a little bit of kick to my peppers, but not enough kick to knock me down a flight of stairs! haha
@shebish (788)
• Egypt
@moffittjc I can only manage a bell pepper anything else is too hot for me,
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@shebish Bell peppers aren't hot at all!
@Platespinner (17062)
I'm not fond of hot spicy food, but my husband is. A couple of weeks ago I ordered chili in a pub in Richmond not stopping to think that I should ask how spicy it was first. It was very, VERY hot. My husband didn't believe me and thought I was just being a sissy. Until he took a bite and it was almost too hot for him as well. I'm proud to say that I managed to eat almost half of it--I was VERY hungry.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
You were very brave to order and eat some chili without knowing how spicy it was! But if I ordered chili in a restaurant or pub, I would expect it to be pretty mild, so that it can be enjoyed by the masses.
@moffittjc I didn't even think to ask since usually really spicy chili comes with a warning. Live and learn.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner I'm surprised that they didn't provide a warning since many people have allergies.
@FourWalls (15203)
I've seen that guy on Man Vs. Food take on eating challenges with ghost peppers. I think he won one, lost the rest. Apparently even milk, which is usually a soothing agent for other hot peppers, don't work on ghost peppers. I'll pass and stick with Chuy's salsa.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I knew milk wouldn't help with the ghost pepper, because it has failed me on other hot peppers I've tried. I pretty much tried everything I had in my fridge and pantry, and nothing helped put out the fire. I think what worries me now is how much it's going to burn coming out the other end tomorrow!
@moffittjc In the past, I've used salt to cool things down, but I've never experienced a ghost pepper.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@blitzfrick I never thought of salt! Maybe next time I will give that a try.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thanks for the warning I don't like food that is too spicy.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like foods that are slightly spicy, but nothing to the extent of the ghost pepper I tried. And I only took a little tiny bite of the pepper. My mouth is still on fire. I'm beginning to think that I will be suffering from this for a very long time tonight! haha
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@moffittjc I hope you are over it now.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Gillygirl Yes, everything is back to normal now, and I have learned my lesson. No more ghost peppers for me! But at least I can say I tried them! haha
Oh, my. Enjoy your toileting experiences today! I love spicy food, but I'm not sure I would try one of these, unless perhaps I was drunk!
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
Hmmm...do I sense a challenge there? Hey Elizabeth, you ready to go out for a fun night of drinking on the town?
My co workers had that challenge I told them no thank you Some survived some didn't lol
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm beginning to think I'm not going to make it as a survivor. My mouth is still on fire!
@moffittjc eat some candy! Will that help?
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I've tried everything, including chocolate, to try and put out the fire. No luck on anything I've tried. I'm just going to have to suffer in agony until this subsides.
My husband loves spicy (very spicy) food and he can usually eat peppers that I would never dare to put in my mouth. To kill the eat in your mouth: do not drink water, drink milk, eat a yogurt and you will feel better.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I tried a glass of milk, but it didn't work. I didn't have any yogurt, or I would have tried that as well. Nothing took away that heat except time itself.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck I'll have to remember the coconut milk and hard liquor options next time. I happen to love both!
@moffittjc Thinking about the combination, I guess a "piƱa colada" can make miracles.
Ha! And you did it. Oh no, I wouldn't be able for that pepper at all! Though I do like spice, that one is not nice.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oh, not only was it not nice, it was downright nasty! Ghost peppers are not my friend at all!
@moffittjc Nope poor you lol
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@TiarasOceanView But I survived, that's the important thing! What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! Which reminds me of what I want to put on my tombstone when I die: "It didn't make me stronger."
You didn't . . . please tell me you really didn't!!!!!!! Although I've never actually tried a real ghost pepper, I have heard they are seriously HOT . . . and I completely believe it kicked your butt and then some!
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wish I could say I was kidding, but I really did eat a ghost pepper. I will never do it again. I think I know what hell feels like now, and it wasn't pretty.
@moffittjc How long did it take for you to recover? Or are you still recovering ?
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say I went to bed about 6 hours after eating the pepper, and my mouth was still on fire. When I woke up the next morning, I was fine. Well, at least until it was time to go to the bathroom. What goes in must eventually come out.
Sounds like your son got all your 'smart' genes and a few extra ones from his Mum. I know when I'm beaten. I'd never take on a dare like this.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'll try anything once. My kids know that. So now I can check ghost pepper off of my bucket list. Hmmm....wonder what pepper I should try next?
@moffittjc I'm sure your kids can come up with one!
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Maybe I should try bungee jumping or skydiving next! You think my kids would join in on those fun activities?
@blitzfrick (2912)
Our kids can play us pretty well now and then! Have you recovered by now?
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, I am finally back to normal. It was quite an experience, one I don't look forward to repeating for a very long time! haha
@moffittjc I'm guessing you did an internet search for the heat of the pepper. I was surprised to learn that the active ingredient of ghost peppers, capaicin, is an alkaloid. Salt is a base and, according to my microbiology teacher from years ago, should neutralize either acids or alkaloids. Also, acid alone will neutralize an alkaloid, turning it into a salt. Glad you survived!
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@blitzfrick I can't believe I didn't put my chemistry knowledge to work to figure out a solution to the fire that was burning in my mouth! So there is a real life example of problem solving for chemistry equations! Maybe I should have paid better attention in class! haha
I hope you didn't just bite into it! I like hot and spicy, but not too hot that it ruins my meal.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yep, I bit right into it! Go big or go home! lol
@moffittjc Omg! You are crazy!!!!!
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN You haven't figured that out by now? LOL
@RubyHawk (29283)
• Atlanta, Georgia
You have a smart son. He will probably sleep better than you tonight.l can't stand even warm peppers.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was fully expecting to have raging heartburn the entire night, but surprisingly I slept like a baby that night. It wasn't until the next morning that I experienced round 2 of the burn (what goes in must come out)
@RubyHawk (29283)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@moffittjc I hope your get rid of your heart burn and sleep well tonight.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@RubyHawk Thanks Ruby! I always have Gaviscon, Tums and Pepto Bismol handy for these sorts of things. Most of the time the Gaviscon works wonders.
@Srbageldog (8244)
I have eaten those before, and they definitely haunt you! I used to eat ghost pepper hot sauce and use ghost pepper flakes in my cooking, but nowadays my stomach just can't handle it. And you can be sure if it burns going in, it'll burn coming out! Now you need to try a scorpion pepper -- which is even hotter than the ghost pepper! XD
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
One pepper at a time! I'm still trying to get used to eating ghost peppers! I've been sick the last couple of days, and so I have been really congested and stuffy. I ate a bite of a ghost pepper this weekend, and it instantly cleared up all my congestion! I now know what to eat when I get a stuffy nose! haha
@moffittjc They are definitely good for clearing your sinuses!
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Srbageldog I don't think it did any good for my throat though. It's still killing me!
• Midland, Michigan
How old is that son of yours? That just isn't right at all. I guess he waited to see your reaction and then decided it was best left alone? It pays to not let everyone know that you're up for dares, but I guess that would be a hard thing to keep from your own kids. I wouldn't even know what that is except my sil purchased some differently flavored popcorn from a group here in town. There was about twenty different flavors that she got and one was ghost pepper. It looked like chedder popcorn, but one of those was quite enough to be sure. I don't think any of us cried or shed tears and the fire didn't last the whole night long, but that was the closest I intend to get to one of those in my lifetime.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
My son is 14. He loves spicy foods, but he was afraid to try a ghost pepper. He wanted me to try it first to see if it was safe enough for him to eat. By the reaction I experienced after eating one, I'd say he probably won't ever eat a ghost pepper, no matter how spicy he likes his food! haha
• Midland, Michigan
@moffittjc Unless, like you he tries it when someone gives him a dare, lol.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MarshaMusselman Hmmm...maybe I need to dare him to try one! lol
• Preston, England
milk is the best thing to drink to sooth the worst of very strong chillis
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I drank a full glass of milk and it didn't even put a dent in the heat I was experiencing! That was one fire I could not put out, no matter how hard I tried!
• Preston, England
@moffittjc ouch, especially as i'm daft enough to try it if I come across ome too
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@arthurchappell I can send a ghost pepper to you if you want me to! haha
i bought some habanero cheese last week & i was thinking of a different pepper when i bought it, a more mild pepper. i love most pepper cheeses. i bit into this & was surprised by the heat. i have ZERO desire to try the ghost pepper. had to LOL that your son didn't end up trying it :-)
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love most pepper cheeses too! I'm generally a spicy kind of guy, but man that ghost pepper tore me up! I won't be going near one of those things for a long, long time!
@moffittjc i like spicy, but not where it is so spicy that i can't taste the food. i like it to complement the food, not overwhelm it.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jillybean1222 I'm like you in that respect. I want to enjoy my food, and not be overwhelmed by the spices in it. Even if I loved ghost peppers (which I clearly don't), I still wouldn't put them in my food because it would just overpower the taste of the food.