What would you do if you won a $650,000 home?

St. Jude's Childrens Hospital is located in Memphis, Tennessee. Since we are the Volunteer State there are always people willing to volunteer money and and time for those in need. St. Jude's is funded strictly by donations, therefore, they are always in need. Several different areas of Tennessee do what is called the St Jude's Dream Home Giveaway. Contractors/builders/suppliers all donate their material and time to build a home that is raffled off. In Chattanooga the dream home this year is valued at $650,000. There will be a drawing next month and not only is the home given away but there are other donated prizes as well. The tickets to enter are $100 each. St. Jude is one of the charities I donate to and I try to buy a ticket each year. I bought mine almost as soon as they went on sale. All the money received from ticket sales, 100 percent of it, goes to St Jude. I don't expect to win, but if I did, what would I do with that house? Let me think about that.... What would you do if you won a $650,000 home?
Every ticket helps St. Jude kids and the mission of St. Jude: Finding cures. Saving children. Because of the support of people like you, families never receive a bill from St. Jude for travel, treatment, housing or food—because all a family should worry ab
@CoralLevang (37241)
Move...then sell. then, I would set up a scholarship program for children with physical challenges that may not ordinarily be able to go to university.
• Pleasant Hill, California
My "thing" would be to set up a charity to provide music lessons for children who are too poor to pay for them.
@CoralLevang (37241)
@TheHorse or we could set up a foundation that provided education with an emphasis on Creative Arts, including music and other things.
@CoralLevang (37241)
@thehousewife thank you!
@FourWalls (8926)
Sell it and give the money to St. Jude's. I don't need a house that big.
I think I would sell it also. I love the house, but it is in a sub-division with lots of other homes.
@sugartoes (32417)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@FourWalls GOOD answer that would be the BEST thing someone could do.
@sugartoes (32417)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@AbbyGreenhill see that's what I'm talking about so if I WAS to win it I'd sell it & give the money to st Jude to do MORE awesome work like they do for others.
Wow that would be somethig else. I would definitely sell it, buy something more my speed (like a 200k house) and save the rest. Can you imagjne the property taxes on that?!
Taxes in the south are not too bad. I would guess it to be about about 3500 a year.
@AbbyGreenhill wow! Thats awesome. I have never owned a house but its at least a couple grand for a 150k house up here in Minnesota. Which feels like a lot.
@sugartoes (32417)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@AbbyGreenhill that's TOO much for my fixed income.
@WriterAI (3642)
• Bulgaria
I will sell such house and I will buy some cheaper real estate to give it under rent with one part of the money. Another money part I will use to invest in gold, silver and diamonds. The planned rest third part of this money I will devote to some education following the current educational trends.
You should buy a ticket - you have a good plan there!
@WriterAI (3642)
• Bulgaria
@AbbyGreenhill Thank you for your answer! I will try my best! Of course, I should buy a ticket. You encouraged me with your appreciation here. Thank you!
We already have a house, renting is not the best solution, you pay a lot of taxes on the rent you receive. I think I would sell the house and convert the money with an annuity. More money to enjoy every month and no problems of tenants who wreck the house and (may be) do not even pay the rent.
A 650,000 home would only be rented to someone with money that's a given. That house up north would be close to a million bucks. Renters would have to be thoroughly screened.
@AbbyGreenhill Rich people are not always the best payers, even if thoroughly screened, many had very bad surprised.
@LadyDuck I didn't say rich people, people with enough money to pay a hefty rent. Not that it matters since I would not rent it anyway- I never wanted to be a landlord. We thought of buying a few small homes to rent out but then realized it would be a giant pain.
One of the charitie concerned with deaf do a similar thing in Queensland and raffle a home each year. I guess I'd have a holiday in it and invite all my friends for a visit then possibly sell it.
A winner two years ago sold it and bought a farm and she takes in rescue animals. That was her dream.
@sueznewz2 (8901)
• Alicante, Spain
@AbbyGreenhill nice ...
@AbbyGreenhill That's great. Unfortunately many can't seem to cope with the sudden riches and within a few years end up basically back where they started. I always think it's doubly sad when that happens.
I will look for tenants who will rent our old house . I will be more than glad to transfer to the new house because that means new neighbors too.
New neighbors and very close!
I would give it to my mom and grandmother .
Awh - that would be so nice, great kid you are! Kid to me is anyone younger than 50 LOL!
@AbbyGreenhill kid too me is anyone who is immature. No matter of age. Lol.
@Courtlynn OK sorry - it's just a figure of speech!
I always try to send some money to St. Jude. I think all the work they do is remarkable. Since I don't have a ticket to win that house it's hard to say what I would do if I won.
If you won it you would have to sell or move south and be an hour from me!
That is exactly who I donate to also. I feel so sorry for those babies and little kids having to endure the pain of cancer and treatments. I cant do $100 but I make sure I send money each month or every other month.
They are totally legit - I donate here and to dog rescue groups - mostly lab rescues.
@sugartoes (32417)
• Greencastle, Indiana
well I would love to move from where I am BUT (yes I said BUT) it would be a BIG change from what we are use to on moving with 7 dogs & the location of where it was built, & the tax's. We would LOVE to have a place out in the country side where it was just us & no neighbors around & plenty of yard for the babies not far from a lake to fish & most of all FLAT land no hills & cliffs.
Taxes are not high around here...I don't think they would allow 7 dags since it is in a ritzy subdivision and they always have rules. We live in the country - flat ground, lake is abut 5 miles...lake is actually the Tennessee River. Lots of land around here to pick from.
Sorry@AbbyGreenhill.I have no interest in this at all.The school house is enough for us. Good luck to those who enter.this is our dream house.
My husband would never live there - its just a small lot - not even big enough for a pool.
@nanette64 (12407)
• Fairfield, Texas
Sell it immediately for $500,000 (it would sell fast). Give $50,000 to St Jude and $50,000 to my 'other' critter organizations and live happily ever after on the rest @AbbyGreenhill .
I think it will go for more than $600,000 I believe it cones fully furnished too.
@nanette64 (12407)
• Fairfield, Texas
@AbbyGreenhill With all the rooms that must come with that house; I 'could' have room for more critters.
@nanette64 I don't think so - this is in an upscale subdivision with rules and I imagine you already have more than they would allow.
I would know that I probably couldn't pay taxes on such a place much less keep it up as it should be.This is a major reason that I have not chosen to buy a home in the past. I would look it over and see if I could do any fix up on it. Then I would put it on the market. I would sell it and try to get a bit of profit if at all possible. I would use the money to go travel and check a couple of things off my bucket list.
It is brand new, no fixing necessary. When they build these homes they use the highest quality materials.This house has a basement,which is a first. Where would you travel??? US or foreign?
@AbbyGreenhill .....That's good. I would travel to several places here I haven't seen. I want so much to see Mackinac Island where a movie I love was filmed. And then I'd like to see Ireland, Scotland, Isle of Mann, England, Paris, Vienna, Spain,Greece and Belgium.
@celticeagle I think Mackinac island is a cool place, we can't go there..no dogs allowed on the island and we have to take ours with us wherever we go.
@sueznewz2 (8901)
• Alicante, Spain
that's good.. I don't know what I'd do... probably sell or rent it...
I have never wanted to be a 'landlord' so selling would be it for me
@sueznewz2 (8901)
• Alicante, Spain
@AbbyGreenhill good point... not dure I'd want to be a landlord either...
Try and sell it almost immediately-- too much house, too much work to keep it clean, and certainly too much space for little old me and mom !
It is s big house!
@AbbyGreenhill exactly my point
• Raurkela, India
You can make it your own home if you can maintain it.
It will cost a lot more monthly than a 'normal size' home!
• Raurkela, India
@AbbyGreenhill I know that. Well, then you have to sell it and buy a home that suits your pocket.
First, I am amazed that a house like that is only 650! I live in Southern CA, and 650 is probably the average housing price here. In our school area, we probably can't even get a house for that price - they are in the 700s now - and they are nowhere near this size! Anyway. As much as we'd like a bigger house for our family, this one would probably be too big. We'd probably sell it and upgrade what we have already!
Housing is not expensive like where you live. This house up north would be over a million bucks for sure. That's why we live here where things are cheaper.
@AbbyGreenhill Here, that house would definitely be well over a million - and probably look out of place (in our neighborhood anyway).
@sjvg1976 (12694)
I Wil give it on rent and the money that I will earn will give in charity.
That would be very good to do.
@tom_view (2107)
• Kolkata, India
i will seek a buyer to sell it.
Same as I would do.