Common Courtesy Times to Cut Grass

When do you think is an appropriate time for neighbors to start making noise: like cutting grass? I'd say 8 AM earliest, ideal would be 9 AM. My neighbor had professionals start at 7 AM. Not a good way of waking up this Monday Morning! At my fiancés place the HOA usually starts after 9 AM. Some people need some common courtesy!
When I was still young and living with my parents, it's as early as 6am. But neighborhood don't mind. Most of the people there start things way early. And since I'm an early bird kind of person, I don't mind the same.
I used to be an early bird when I went to work. I would be up by 6AM. if I had overtime, I would be up by 4:15AM.
@infatuatedbby I don't have a need to wake up early morning these days, but I still wake up at 6AM. Just the way I am!
@toniganzon You have an internal alarm clock :)
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I always waited until ten.
That is very nice and a great time!
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@infatuatedbby - I figured everyone should be awake by then.
@teamfreak16 Yes that is a good time. Now you don't have to cut the lawn right? HOA there to do it?
I would've been sooo mad! My neighbors on the left side (so the side of the house where my bedroom is) can be so loud! I think either some have moved out, or they have gotten older and more mature.. because they aren't as loud anymore, thankfully. I think 9 am is a good time.
Right now ... one side of the neighbors have another renter so it is even more loud! Just the other day they were drinking and yapping loudly you can hear their conversation at 11pm! Good to hear the noise is reducing. 9 am is a good time too.
@infatuatedbby how rude they are! Has the police been called on them yet?
@ScribbledAdNauseum No, it only has happened a few times. We weren't sleeping yet, so its fine.
How awful!!! At our condo in Florida, nothing before 8 or after 5.
That is a great time!
@infatuatedbby Too many old people. lol
@DianneN hehehehe but old people supposedly wake up early?
@Nawsheen (19723)
• Mauritius
My neighbor was previously making so much noises with his motorcycle and car at 6.30. We couldnt stand it any longer and we made a complaint. Things are much better now. I think 9 am is a good time for grass cutting. Your neighbor must not think about himself only but his neighbors too
If he is leaving at 6:30 AM on his motorcycle then that is understandable as it is his communicating vehicle. But if he is just making noise to fix it or something for fun then I would be annoyed too. Some do not have common courtesy.
@Nawsheen (19723)
• Mauritius
@infatuatedbby In fact he was operating a small garage illegally. And so early in the morning he would disturb us with those annoying sounds
@Nawsheen that is not good!
If I am not mistaken, I think "legally" the gardeners can do their thing from 7am. I know our neighbor's gardeners will turn on their lawnmowers at 7 on the dot. My dad is a gardener and he was annoyed with that 7am time - he used to start work much earlier to stay out of the heat. But I can see how people would be annoyed with the noise starting way too early . . . I'd say 8 for the weekdays and 9 for weekends.
Yes, it is legally so I put common courtesy. The lawn person lives down the street from our house and likes to tackle our neighbor first because she doesn't mind. Plus they can crank some houses before officially starting other houses and getting paid plus like you mention, to be out of the heat too. I think 8 and 9am are ideal times too. For the HOA here, they start more close to 10am, but they do the streets or back roads first.
@infatuatedbby The HOA has the right idea .. . surely the committee has resident members that will have their say about what timing is appropriate for those that live there. But for those of us without HOA, anything goes I guess except what the law says . . . but if only these people had more common courtesy than what they say is legal.
@much2say Yes and it is the summer too. I can see those who are awake with kids and they're up already so it doesn't matter. :P Which none would apply to me yet.
@Mike197602 (13082)
• Worcester, England
7am is a bit early...if I had a day off and didn't have to get up at 6am and someone started making noise at 7am I'd be pissed off. Is it a one off or do they do it regularly?
It isn't everyday, just bi-weekly but still 7AM is sort of early!
@Mike197602 (13082)
• Worcester, England
@infatuatedbby it is...maybe have a word with them and suggest 8 or 9am is better...I bet the workers would like a slightly later start too
@Mike197602 I think the workers are self employed ones! HOA here starts later at my fiancé place.
To me, 10am.
That would be perfect! I would still not like 8AM but at least that time after would be best. I get up at 9AM. 10AM would be a perfect time, enjoy breakfast in peace still!
@infatuatedbby yes. Thats why id like 10. Sometime guys do the lawn here early sometimes later.
@Courtlynn I would too.
@Raine38 (8779)
Is it on a weekend? If it is then that's just rude! On a weekday 9am I think is just fine. If that cannot be done during a "courteous" time of day, I think a courtesy call or heads up will be proper. One time we have to have some work done for a new back porch during the whole weekend. While our property is a considerable distance from our next neighbors, we went to their houses and let them know ahead about our construction project for the next couple of days as a courtesy that there will be some workers around the property and that will be the reason for all the banging and noise.
No, not a weekend but it has happened on the weekend before. My dad went over to the neighbors to let him know that is not an appropriate time to have people mowing the lawn at 7AM on a weekend. Houses here are extremely close, like 6 to 8 feet apart so it's very loud. This happened today being a weekday, still I think anything at least after 8AM would be courtesy. Like you mentioned 9AM is ideal, safe buffer. Very nice of you to go to your neighbors and let them know you're having construction and it'll be a little louder than usually the next couple of days.
@Raine38 (8779)
@infatuatedbby what did they say to your dad? I hope they take this seriously. Let's hope they're not very inconsiderate to refuse suggestions and address concerns raised to what their doing.
@Raine38 The neighbor said the lawn mower, wanted to come earlier. Probably because if they can go to homes they don't mind early that is better for them to get more homes done = more money.
I would suggest they wait until 8 at least, but I am not sure there is much you can do about it unless there are noise ordinances for the community.
Looks like 7am is a legal time. I'd think 8am would be a reasonable time also.
@katsmeow1213 (28466)
That would irritate me so bad! Thankfully my neighbors usually mow in the afternoon, and so do we.
That is very good to hear no problems there. My dad usually mows in the afternoons too.
Rudeness and noise has become the order of the day.
Yes! Especially here where homes are smack right next to each other
Oh yes I hate being woke up by a lawn mower.
That is a big annoyance of mine too or construction especially early.
Complain to the person who did the mowing! That is a tad early for sure.
The legal time is 7am though! Before they went earlier like 6:45am and my dad was like oh no no no! Luckily you don't have to deal with this!
I feel like 8 am is a good time to start things like that. Most normal people are normally up by that time or getting up at the time.
That is a reasonable time. The earliest for me to allow some sort of noise without being too annoyed would be 8am.
@Hate2Iron (6131)
• Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think that 9 a.m. would be reasonable. Everyone is up and has started their day!
Yes 9 am is a decent, ideal time!
Even though I am up every morning at 6a.m. it is still very annoying hearing that mower so early in the morning. I would say 9 a.m. at least.
I would not want to hear noise early either if I woke up early. I do not wake up early though. :)
@amnabas (9640)
• Karachi, Pakistan
That's pretty much early...
Yeah, such annoyance right!
@jaiho2009 (38538)
I am glad that videoke curfew is now widely implemented in our country. Now I can say my not so polite neighbors learn what courtesy means serves them well.
The legal time is 7am but still common courtesy should apply.
Yes it is a discourtesy if it is still early in the morning, since most are still in bed by that time. Maybe as a courtesy the days before the one who hired the professional should have informed the neighbors.