I would like your opinion on something.....

Two years ago our neighbor's stepson needed a new roof. The neighbor paid for it since the stepson has no money (or claims to have none). At the time the roofers looked at neighbors roof and asked how old it was. It was 15 years old and looked much older. The color was pretty much gone. Neighbor told roofers he didn't need a new one. Fast forward to yesterday. Neighbor got a new roof, a metal roof. At that point his old roof was 17 years old. My husband chatted with him today about the roof and was told insurance paid since the old one leaked. I know that people hate insurance companies for many reasons, but in this case I don't think the insurance should have paid for a new roof for him. The roof was shot, it leaked. That's neighbor's fault for not replacing it sooner. If the roof had blown off in a tornado, that's fine - let insurance pay. But this guy knew he needed a new roof, didn't want to spend the money, so now he got a free one. I think insurance companies should pro-rate how much they pay for a new roof in a situation like neighbor's. He doesn't deserve a free roof because he was too cheap to get a new one. A regular asphalt roof lasts 17-18 years (depending on factors such as location, trees, etc.) so his roof was close to death anyway. So if y'all want a free roof wait until yours is almost at it's end and then pray for rain and you'll get a free one! We have architectural shingles which are good for 25-30 years....Unless we get hit by a tornado the house and roof will outlast us. Do you think insurance should have paid for his roof or should have be responsible at least for most of it? Photo from Pixabay
I would pay for a new roof myself. We save money back each month for repairs.
We replaced a roof at the last house because it was 14 years old and we were putting the house on the market and wanted that to be a selling point. I hated to think of a leaking roof with buyers looking at it.
@Asylum (46815)
• Manchester, England
I am amazed that the insurance company agreed to pay because this was natural wear and tear.
That's what I say. How are you feeling???
@Asylum (46815)
• Manchester, England
@AbbyGreenhill I am delighted to say that today is one of my better days. They are rapidly becoming rare, which makes it even more welcome.
@Asylum I sincerely hope you have many good days.
My mom replaced our rood in 2010 as It was leaking down into the electrical lights part of my ceiling fan. It was a danger, so I had to put in a lamp in my room as my parents forbade me to put the light on with the water leaking down! I don't think my mom used or even thought about using the house insurance! That would have been nice!
If the roof leaked due to age then your parents did the right thing.
@AbbyGreenhill i am not sure if it was age or not? I don;t think my parents were the type to go after a freebie.
@Marty1 Your parents sound like nice people.
NO, surely the insurance here would not have paid, it is different if the roof is damaged by natural causes, like strong wind, lightning, or other factors. We had to replace a couple of tiles 4 years ago due to the very big hail, the insurance paid. When we will need a new roof, they will not pay. Our Swiss terracotta tiles roofs come with a 50 years warranty, the house is 28 years old, I think we will not need to change ours.
I love those tile roofs! Our roof is good for more years than we'll be here for sure. i mean at some point this place will get to be too much for my husband to take care of.
@AbbyGreenhill This is what I fear, a two story home aging can be a problem. It is true that if this is the only problem, we can install a stair lift. Let's see how things go for the next 5 years and then we can make our final decision.
@AbbyGreenhill We also have a basement, one to go up and one to go down would be great.
Since I used to run a roofing company, industrial roofing but the guarantee is still within the same principal. When applying a 20 year roof, it should last 20 years or its guaranteed. When dealing with home owners insurance and you get a new roof and it does not last the said amount of years then yes, no matter if its filed one week before deadline, insurance is supposed to pay for it. And I look at it this way, when I pay for insurance for 18 years and not used it, I have a new roof coming! A metal roof only costs a couple thousand and if its a small place under a thousand.
Many insurance companies raise your rates when you put in a claim. His house is 2,000 sq feet...it's a trailer. I think I next time we are at the insurance company I'm going to ask about roofs.
@AbbyGreenhill Ask just to see what they say. Yes some do raise the rates.
@andriaperry My thinking is if you get 95 percent use from something then you don't get a 100 percent replacement! I will ask, I have a feeling he uses the same ins. co we do.
I have never heard of insurance paying for a new roof when it wasn't due to some huge storm or similar event. We are all paying for the roofs of people like that!
Yes, we sure are...but what can we do?
@AbbyGreenhill I don't know what I can do besides feeling annoyed!
I am surprised to read that his insurance actually covered this, especially since there was nothing really to cover. Basically his roof had gotten "old" - of course it started to leak - that's what happens to old roofs. I don't see how this was ok'd by the insurance company!
I agree with you. It's like buying a sweater, wearing it and returning it for a full refund.
@AbbyGreenhill Yes, like wearing a sweater for several seasons and then trying to return it!
I think it should only pay if it's damaged by a storm or other natural disaster.
I agree, and he has had issues with the roof for a year or more...he new he needed a new one so he took advantage.
No I don't think the insurance company should of paid for that.
Maybe like $300 toward a new roof, but not pay the whole bill.
In my opinion, he must have a special clause in his insurance and pay higher rates than usual, because when this roof was leaking last year insurance didn't cover replacing it.
He is cheap in so many ways that I don't see him paying higher rates for anything. We have a hard time with some of the stuff he does, we'll never figure out how he thinks.
Well, I do suppose if the roof failed before the amount of years promised, insurance should pay for it.
But he knew it needed replacing, that's the part that I don't like. He bragged about how long it's been leaking.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I think they should if he pays for insurance. Isn't that why one pays for insurance?
Yes, - but - if you have a 17 year old roof (that he knew he has an issue with) why get a full roof free? I think it should be pro-rated...no wonder insurance rates go up up up.
@RubyHawk (21451)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@AbbyGreenhill I see your point but if I pay for insurance I would want to inc. company to pay for my roof.
@RubyHawk I think that if a roof is 'guaranteed' for 18 years, then the roofing company should pay something toward it not the whole amount by the ins. co. Years back, our second home in TN had a leak in the living room shortly after we moved in. We called a roofer and the nice young many said, "I can't touch this roof, call your insurance co." So we did and they sent a roofer who got up on the roof and found two serious things: . The 'valleys' had been done incorrectly which is why water was gushing into the house . There was no felt on the roof at all He told insurance that he would not repair the roof as he would have to keep coming back after any big rain and redo it. He said the roof needed to be replaced. That roof was only 5 years old and had been done incorrectly. We were totally shocked and only later did the neighbors tell us that the previous owners had a lot of issues with leaks in the house and that they kept painting the ceiling to hide it. Needless to say it wasn't an issues they informed potential buyers about.
We have always in the past paid for our own.. never heard of the insurance paying.
Did you ever have s leak or damage?
@AbbyGreenhill This current house is not ours, so when we had the last leek the owner was responsible for fixing it and took her time . The other house , yes we did end up having to put a new roof on ...
@CookieMonster46 roof are not cheap.
@HazySue (16658)
I am thinking that the insurance would not and should not have to pay for a new roof.
I agree. I think people go a little too far for something free
I actually agree with you. No way should the insurance have paid.
I would imagine he had a big deductable.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I don't know what insurance is like there but if I tried to claim a new roof for my house, I would A) have to pay a deductible like $300-$500, and B) my insurance premiums are likely to go up. We had leaks everywhere in our house a couple of years back if you remember. We had to use insurance but it was the eavestrouph that needed replacing and the insurance covered that as well as all the repairs inside, but we did have to pay a deductible. Nothing is free.
We have a high deductible...He probably does too.
this is a tough one.The old roof was well over twenty years.Serve its purpose.The new one half way there.The rest I will not be around
I know what you mean!!!
@LeaPea2417 (14621)
• Toccoa, Georgia
He should have paid for it.