Free energy drinks issued by the NHS

Fresubin enery drink
@Asylum (45897)
Manchester, England
Since my health began declining, so did my appetite. As a result my daily intake of sustenance is deemed to be inadequate. The consultant impressed on me the importance of eating properly during the period of chemotherapy in order to be able to physically cope with the attack on my system. Nevertheless, eating is still not very easy. The support nurse who visited me at home suggested protein drinks, which are specifically designed for such a purpose. She even went to the trouble of contacting my doctor to request these. Yesterday I was issued 21 small bottles of Fresubin, protein energy drinks. I have been issued with 3 flavours, consisting of vanilla, caramel and fruits of the forest. It came as quite a surprise to me that such items would be available on the NHS service, particularly considering that the retail cost would be somewhere around £60. They are quite palatable and at one per day should last me for 3 weeks. One per day should be sufficient as an addition to the small amount of food that I am consuming.
I am glad that the taste is not bad, it's hard to consume something that is disgusting. The nurse was very nice to contact your doctor, those supplements are not cheap.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
The nurse has been a great help to me over the previous weeks and has enlightened me about many things that I would never have known.
@Asylum I am glad you found a good nurse, this is very important for the therapy you are following. I hope you are not too tired.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I am always too tired these days, but since that is the only issue I am quite content. Monday I will see the consultant at Christie hospital to appraise my current progress and decide on how to proceed.
@owlwings (37683)
• Cambridge, England
I remeber the loss of appetite thing and I, also had some of these protein drinks prescribed. I thought that the names they chose to go by were quite enough to put one off, though the taste is not too bad once you get used to it. I preferred the orange and lemon flavoured ones, myself. I also read that Vitamin C is good for helping the immune system and the doctor didn't seem to think it would do any harm (though he was careful to point out that there was not really any positive evidence that it did help). Anyway, I found that those orange flavoured tablets which dissolve in water to make a fizzy drink were refreshing and surprisingly 'orangey'. I forget now how many I took but I think that it was about 3 times the RDA of Vitamin C. The doctor and nurses did comment that I recovered from the chemotherapy (and from the operation itself) remarkably quickly and well.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
I do eat fruit daily, which is easy to consume. Without these drinks I would be unlikely to consume adequate material to remain resistant to the chemotherapy.
You are right - vitamin c is a healer. I know a doctor who gives it intravenously to some patients. I think my steady intake of the vitamin is one of the main reasons I haven't had a cold in 13 years.
• Lakewood, Colorado
So glad that these drinks are free for you and also that they taste okay too. Mother also was issued something similar of protein drinks and she wasn't keen on them, but she drank them and they did indeed supply some good nourishment to her during chemo.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
The beauty of small drinks of this nature is that even if they do not taste pleasant they would still be easy to consume.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum Yes not too much to stomach indeed @Asylum. Hope you are okay today as good as can be expected my friend. Your chemo treatments are twice a week are they?
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView No, I had 3 consecutive days of chemotherapy, which should be repeated every 3 weeks.
@Nawsheen (22906)
• Mauritius
Those energy drinks are really good. My dad was taking something similar after he had a surgery.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
The content is enough to make a vast difference to my sustenance, which is precisely what I require.
They look so inviting and you get them free
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
Exactly. I would have expected the nurse to recommend such a drink and expect me to buy them. At 1 bottle a day it would be about £20 per week. Instead she contacted my doctor directly and requested them, which were then issued to me free of charge. I thought that a support nurse would call around for a chat and offer advice, but she has been a magnificent help to me.
@Asylum You have a way with the nurses I see
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@allknowing It would be difficult not to be impressed with such a person.
I'm glad you're being supplied these. It seems an easy way to ingest the energy that you need.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
It suddenly makes the impossible possible.
@Asylum My mother used to get these for a while after she had her hip replacement.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv No doubt for the same reason. She would need sustenance to aid her recovery, but would have very little appetite.
That sounds like a very helpful thing for you. What is 'fruits of the forest' flavor like?
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
Almost a grape of blackcurrant hint in the background. This makes all 3 flavours palatable, so I will have no problem drinking these.
@Asylum Excellent! and free to boot!
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@AbbyGreenhill Yes, the perfect combination.
@vandana7 (55218)
I am glad they are taking care of you. It also proves how precious they consider you to be. Time you considered your precious too and ate some. Take care...we enjoy your company.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
I would like to eat adequately, but it is not easy most days.
@vandana7 (55218)
@Asylum .. I do understand...
My husband was issued with those after heart surgery - it's great that ther NHS supplies them.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
It certainly is. I would have been prepared to buy them if necessary, but many people may not be able to do so.
Those are really expensive drinks indeed. But I hope they help you. I've seen many losing a lot of weight and weaken during the chemotherapy, so it must be a normal side-effect. Try ginger lemon tea for nausea, it can also help with getting your appetite back. I wish you all the best with your treatment with as less side-effects as possible.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
Loss of appetite is commonplace during illness and the most common side effect of chemotherapy. These drinks will certainly make a big difference to me.
Nice flavors, but no chocolate? These are a little easier to consume than meals. How nice they are provided!
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
They are much easier to consume, which is why they are so valuable to me. Chocolate may exist, but I was simply issued a small selection.
@Asylum I would imagine it does, as well as other flavors. This is a blessing. My husband liked a similar drink in chocolate that we have here.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries I was not offered a chocolate one, but would probably prefer that.
@manikarnika (2025)
Yeah...That's really sounds pretty good to hear .Hope you will be get well soon.Take care
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
I doubt if I will ever qualify as being well, although I could end up feeling much better if the chemotherapy subdues and controls the cancer. These drinks will certainly improve the chance of that happening.
@Asylum oh ok.But everyday say " l am happy, healthy now and always". I saw in TV show, a lady suffered from cancer was really cured by having positive hope
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@manikarnika During my first meeting with the consultant I made it quite clear that I preferred the truth rather than false hopes or platitudes. She kindly consented and gave me her realistic opinion. One factor was that my cancer is not curable, simply controllable. I value this honesty because otherwise if the cancer was subdued adequately, I would have been mortified to discover that it has returned. At least now that I am aware of this I am more mentally equipped to deal with it.
@Shiva49 (8763)
Nice to hear about the care given that comes with no additional charge. I am sure you will pull through this difficult stage with the help of support system in place - siva
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
The level of support offered by medical staff and home visitors has been well above expectations. I anticipated friendly chats and advice, but have received very practical assistance. She even contacted the city council and arranged a disabled parking badge for me. This enables my brother to park closer to our destination when he takes me shopping etcetera, thus reducing the distance that I have to walk. Not only has she pointed out many items that I was unaware that I would qualify for, but also made the applications on my behalf.
@Shiva49 (8763)
@Asylum This makes me to recall an article one columnist wrote. He said he was based in France and was cursing the high tax he was paying. Then he was diagnosed with cancer and he too had treatments all free including support staff visiting his home for periodic follow up and to make sure he was on the road to assured recovery. He ended paying Euro 10 all in all for registration. Wish half this attention is made available to those in some countries who are left in the lurch while the rich fly out for periodical medical check up - siva
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@Shiva49 The same applies to me. I retired at the age of 65, after never having claimed unemployment benefit, sickness or any other form of benefits. Now I find myself receiving the rewards of all those years of income tax etcetera.
@Inlemay (17162)
• South Africa
I am so glad that they were able to provide your with a supplement solution. You must keep up your energy and strength Barry.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
Yes I know, but eating is not easy these days.
@Inlemay (17162)
• South Africa
@Asylum I am very saddened to hear you suffer like this.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay We have to accept life as it is.
@garymarsh6 (11913)
They are giving so many of these drinks and other supplements to patients these days because so many people are malnourished. You are right about the cost it is going through the roof! But please heed what the Doctor said. You need to keep your strength up to cope with your treatment. If the weather is getting too hot you could always freeze them but not in the bottles as you won't get it out. Not only will it be refreshing but it will clean your palate too!
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
I am managing to eat a little more recently, so one of these per day should be adequate to bridge the gap.
@garymarsh6 (11913)
@Asylum Good man. A little and often is the ticket! You won't want to face big dumpy meals!
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 My appetite was, zero for a while, but now I can enjoy snacks throughout the day.
@PatZAnthony (11748)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
No clue what the drinks you mention are or what they contain @Asylum The ones offered here should be banned! They are not nutritionally sound, but the ones that are actually 'good' for a humans are not offered and would be too expensive for the average patient.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
These small bottles retail around £3 per bottle, which is certainly not cheap.
@PatZAnthony (11748)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Asylum No, those are not cheap. Do they let you be aware of the ingredients there?
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@PatZAnthony It will be on the bottle, although I have not read it.
@LoriAMoore (12505)
Our U .S. Equivalent is something called "Ensure." We gave it to my grandpa when he was underweight and not taking in enough nutrition. Does it being in the NSH service mean it was no cost to you? That's wonderful!
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
Yes, it was issued to me free of charge. Ensure exists here as well, so it is luck of the draw which one I would receive.
I am glad you posted. I was wondering how you were doing. I am glad you found something that will work for you. I am sure it is difficult to keep much food down.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
Most days I find eating to be hard work. I can manage a snack, but certainly not a meal.
• Marion, Kansas
Those sound pretty good. The flavors of supplement drinks here in the US tend to be vanilla, chocolate and strawberry (artificial tasting). Comparatively yours sound delish.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
These do have a slightly powdery taste, but they are quite good nevertheless.
@KrauseHome (32331)
Always nice when something you thought you had to pay for is Free or major discounted
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
I agree, especially something as important and useful as these.