Singkong is Cassava

@sishy7 (27281)
Australia
# 80 Well, that is how cassava is called in Indonesia. It is an alternate source of carbohydrates besides their main staple of rice. It is one of the edible roots like yams or sweet potatoes. There is a variety of culinary uses based on cassava and it can be cooked in many ways. My picture shows some deep-fried cassavas except the three white pieces which are steamed only and not fried. They taste nice as is prepared either way. A sprinkle of salt can be added to taste if preferred. It can be made into tapioca flour that is used in breads, cakes and cookies. It can also be made into some cassava chips.
I don't think I've ever had cassava like this (looks yummy!). I am thinking I've only had it in dessert form - like the cassava cake from the Philippines.
@sishy7 (27281)
Yes, they can be made into tapioca flour which in turn is used to make a variety of desserts...
• Calgary, Alberta
@much2say , @sishy7 (I checked your name's spelling twice), my wife is an expert in cooking "ginit-ta-an" . . a Northern Philippines' snack made of chopped cassava, peanuts, sago, et al. O, if you have a Filipina friend (an ilocana) in your place, ask them about this ginit-ta-an" (gee-neet-ta-an).
@sishy7 (27281)
@antonbunot Oh okay, I'll try to remember the name... it's not an easy name to remember for me...
@thelme55 (11818)
I love cassava. Boiled, fried, made into cakes and desserts. Yummy!
are you familiar with nilupak that is pounded in a big wooden lusong?
@sishy7 (27281)
Yes, I understand they are also used in making sweet desserts... I'm not too familiar with that kind of desserts though...
@thelme55 (11818)
@sishy7 cassava desserts are very common in Asia. They are usually made with coconut milk.
@mandala100 (25363)
@sishy7 That food look so yummy in the photo my friend.
@sishy7 (27281)
Thank you! Have you tried cassava before?
@mandala100 (25363)
@sishy7 Not yet my friend and how does it taste?
@sishy7 (27281)
@mandala100 The fried ones taste like fried potatoes but with harder consistency...
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh my gosh they look so tasty..like the fried sweet potato here.
@sishy7 (27281)
It has a harder consistency than sweet potato, and of course, more savory than sweet...
• Lakewood, Colorado
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TiarasOceanView , yeah, they look synonymous with potato fries, French fries,
Deep-fried is something I have never eaten, but it sure does look tasty.
@sishy7 (27281)
Yeah, the steamed ones are probably healthier but less flavor compared to the deep-fried pieces...
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 ,I also have not tasted this deep-fried cassava.
@cacay1 Well, one day we should give it a try!!
I have heard of that food before. I never had it though.
@sishy7 (27281)
Down here they come in the frozen section of Asian grocery stores all cut up and peeled ready to be steamed and fried...
I use tapioca flour, but I never tried cassava, I have no idea of how it tastes.
@sishy7 (27281)
What have you used the tapioca flour for? I know they sometimes are used as a substitute of wheat flour when making bread, cakes, or cookies... Or in some Asian stir fry dishes, it can also be added to thicken the sauce...
@sishy7 I use the tapioca only to thicken the sauces.
@cacay1 (32161)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck ,I stop eating cassava after my 12 cousins were poisonedI have a phobia of that.Plus, there is no cassava farm in Switzerland, only in some parts of Asia..
It looks good.
@sishy7 (27281)
Have you tried them before?
@sishy7 Not yet.
Wow, those deep fried ones look so much like fried potatoes, does it taste similar?
@sishy7 (27281)
It has a harder texture than fried potatoes... But yeah, when I lived in Jakarta, fried cassava was so common I often thought of it as Indonesian fries...
The texture is harder but is the flavor the same as potatoes @sishy7 ?
@sishy7 (27281)
@rebelann More or less the same... I've also tried cassava chips and to me they're not that much different than potato chips...
I love cassava bread, I have had it only twice since leaving Guyana years ago.
@sishy7 (27281)
I don't remember if I have had cassava bread... I know I've tried cassava cake...
@sishy7 It looks like this.
@sishy7 (27281)
@Kandae11 Ooh... they look like flat bread, no? Thanks for the picture...
@hereandthere (24138)
it's also called kamoteng kahoy. i remember the steamed one when we were kids, but i don't think i've had it fried.
@sishy7 (27281)
They taste so much different (the steamed and the fried ones) - of course the fried ones taste better to me...
@sishy7 if i remember correctly, the steamed ones were like small tubes, then we eat it with butter and sugar.
@sishy7 (27281)
@hereandthere Oh okay... The steamed ones taste better with butter indeed... Especially when we apply the butter right when they are hot out of the steamer so it melts all over the cassava...
@DaddyEvil (22364)
Oh, MAN! Now I am going to have to keep Pretty from reading this discussion, sishy! You KNOW she loves to experiment with weird things you talk about on myLot! SMH! There is no telling what she will make cassava into, either! *scratching my head!* Wasn't it you that was talking about a Jicama quite some time ago? (She couldn't let that one go until we had driven all over Joplin and Springfield to find one!) I am very lucky that we both liked the Jicama raw, cut into strips and dipped into salad dressing as well as boiled and mashed like a potato. Then someone else had to tell her to try mashing cauliflower like it was a potato after boiling it. I could eat a little bit of that one, but then had to stop! (I LIKE cauliflower raw or cooked with broccoli with a bit of butter and spices added... but mashing it seemed to concentrate the flavor or something. My stomach rolled after I ate a little of that.) *sigh!* I think I may have been too late to stop her from reading this one... SMH! The troubles you cause me, woman! (I had to talk myself into using the smiley face here, sishy! )
@sishy7 (27281)
No, it wasn't me... but I sure know what Jicama is and have eaten it raw dipped in some sweet and spicy sauce... Good luck finding cassava where you are...
@DaddyEvil (22364)
@sishy7 LOL! Nope, no luck for me, tonight. I just got back from Walmart. Pretty picked up two cassava while we were there. (If you LIKE how that came out fried or if you prefer it cooked another way, please tell me how to prepare these! ) *sigh!*
@sishy7 (27281)
@DaddyEvil Walmart has them? I got them in the frozen section of an Asian grocery all cut up, peeled, cleaned, and ready for use. They're first steamed then we deep-fried them until they turned yellowish/brownish color as in my picture...
@vsai2008 (7630)
Thanks for the information :) i didnt know about this
@sishy7 (27281)
You're welcome! So, you've never tried cassava before?
@vsai2008 (7630)
@sishy7 Nope, I never tried that
@sishy7 (27281)
@vsai2008 I notice it's known in South-east Asia but not so much in India...
@averygirl72 (13956)
So cassava is called singkong in Indonesia. Here we call it kamoteng kahoy. I love it mashed together with butter and sugar
@sishy7 (27281)
Oh, I don't think I've tried it that way... Sounds delicious... Have you tried it steamed or fried?
@averygirl72 (13956)
@sishy7 Not fried or steamed only boiled
All cultures have needed a staple food (with carbohydrates) to survive and flourish. In South America we had potatoes in the Andes. And in other parts there were yams and yucca.. In the northern part of America, corn made possible the great civilization of the Mayas. I didnĀ“t know about singkong
@sishy7 (27281)
Singkong is the Indonesian term for cassava which I think is also called yuca in Spanish.
@sishy7 Thanks so much!
I have never liked cassava purely like that ! Maybe in Asian desserts where I don't notice it
@sishy7 (27281)
Yes, once it is made into desserts, it tastes different than when we eat it as is...
@sishy7 hehe yes most definitely & yummier too
@sol_cee (13596)
• Japan
Reminds me of cassava cake! Craving!
@sishy7 (27281)
I've tried cassava cake... They're really nice!
That looks very good.
@sishy7 (27281)
Thanks! Tastes not too bad either...
@sunrisefan (16624)
The deep-fried ones look yummy :)
@sishy7 (27281)
Of course I like them much better than the supposedly healthier steamed ones...
@sunrisefan (16624)
@sishy7 I like them too :)
@sishy7 (27281)
@sunrisefan Do you call them kamoteng kahoy? I learned that from other Filipinos on here...
@AkoPinay (10826)
We call it "Kamoteng Kahoy" or "Balinghoy" in Filipino. We used to steam it too and eat with grated coconut but I love it better when cooked in coconut cream with sugar. I love Filipino cassava cakes too but I am a lazy cook
This cassava cake is popular dessert is in the Philippines.
• Baguio, Philippines
Have you also tried baking Cassava, @AkoPinay? This is delicious!
@sishy7 (27281)
Oh, that looks so good... I have tried cassava cake before, but the one on your link looks much better... The one I tried was more whitish and not as soft...
• Baguio, Philippines
@sishy7 So it means you have learned the preparation techniques now...:)