Don't Try This

United States
September 15, 2017 9:26am CST
I did something very stupid the other day and although I hate to tell on myself I wouldn't want anyone else to have this happen to them. I decided to heat up a bowl of soup in the microwave. Too lazy to drag out a pot and heat it up on the stove. I must have over-heated it cause it was very, very hot when I was taking it out of the microwave. I had two potholders on either side of the bowl but as I reached up to take it out the bowl tipped and scalding soup poured down my stomach. OMG that hurt!!! I quickly put ice on it but it got red immediately. I really didn't think it would blister (but it did) and it turned into a very nasty burn in a very sensitive area. I will never ever heat up soup in the microwave again (or anything else liquid) as it's just too dangerous and my burn really hurts. (my microwave is above my oven)
28 people like this
32 responses
@rebelann (42764)
• El Paso, Texas
15 Sep 17
OUch, that has to hurt. Have you seen a doctor about it? Burns are nothing to sneeze at. I don't have a microwave. The company I worked for before I retired had one in their lunch room and far too many people got burned because they didn't know how to set it properly. It even melted one of those styrofoam cups they had and that cinched it for me.
4 people like this
• United States
15 Sep 17
No it doesn't need a doctors attention but I have been putting ointment on it and it's healing but slowly
2 people like this
@rebelann (42764)
• El Paso, Texas
15 Sep 17
I'm glad you're healing @Marilynda1225
1 person likes this
@Kandae11 (40370)
15 Sep 17
How awful! sorry about that. Yes it can be painful. A couple years ago I spilled boiling water from the kettle on my leg, just above the knee. The resulting scar I had looked like a design so I called it my tattoo (something I would never do to my skin) Thankfully it is now almost completely faded.
3 people like this
• United States
15 Sep 17
Yikes boiling water is even worse than my soup! I'm sure I'll have a scar too and I'll have to think up a great story other than my silly clumsiness
@paigea (22484)
• Canada
15 Sep 17
Yikes! My microwave is above the stove too.
2 people like this
• United States
15 Sep 17
please be careful. This happened to me in a split second and I thought I had a good grip on the bowl with the potholders
@paigea (22484)
• Canada
17 Sep 17
@Marilynda1225 I know. I have thought about it too. Not the best place for a microwave.
1 person likes this
@HazySue (22960)
• United States
15 Sep 17
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that you burned yourself. Please take care of it. I hope the hurt goes away soon.
2 people like this
• United States
15 Sep 17
I'm sure it will be fine but it does hurt
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
Oh no Marilyn I am so very sorry..those burns are very painful..I hope that it heals quickly for you..do you need some kind of prescription ointment or what do you think? I do not own a microwave.
1 person likes this
@snowy22315 (52489)
• United States
16 Sep 17
wow, any particular reason?
1 person likes this
• United States
16 Sep 17
@snowy22315 Just dont need it Snowy. And I really dont have much in this apartment.
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
15 Sep 17
Oh crap @Marilynda1225 . . I've over-heated a few things and burned my fingers but nothing like that. My micro sits on the counter.
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
it's hard sometimes to judge how long to heat up something in the microwave so I guess it's easy to burn yourself if it becomes too hot. I've been very leery reaching up and taking things out of my microwave and I think I'd much rather have one that sits on my counter
1 person likes this
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
15 Sep 17
@Marilynda1225 Either that or get a small step ladder to get on when you pull things out.
@much2say (40090)
• United States
15 Sep 17
Ow! I know what those burns feel like on the hands and arms . . . oh but your stomach! We put aloe on burn areas - seems to help in the healing quicker (we have a couple aloe plants in the kitchen just in case). Hope your stomach heals up very soon (I can imagine you feel it with every bend!!).
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
I feel it with every bend and the seat belt in the car just rubs against it when I drive. I really need to get an aloe plant for my kitchen
1 person likes this
@much2say (40090)
• United States
18 Sep 17
@Marilynda1225 I hope it's doing better today! Ugh - I didn't even think about the seat belt !
@Corbin5 (115523)
• United States
15 Sep 17
So sorry you got such a bad burn!!! Yes, some items taken from the microwave are just too hot to handle.
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
These microwaves that are above the stove isn't a great idea I think. After being burned I think I'd rather have one on the counter top
1 person likes this
@Corbin5 (115523)
• United States
15 Sep 17
@Marilynda1225 Yes, we have ours on eye-level shelf in the pantry and we just plugged it into the outlet in the pantry. I am short, so an above the stove one would have me suffering like you did.
@andriaperry (58351)
• United States
15 Sep 17
I am so sorry! I know you are in pain. I can`t do the over the oven microwaves, I am to short. I wonder why they put them up there anyways?
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
Trying to reach my microwave is hard for me too and I'm not all that short 5'5" but I do have trouble when cleaning it. This is the first time I encountered a problem lifting a bowl out of it but it's the last time I'll try it
• United States
15 Sep 17
They are above the stove for several reasons - space is one. I rather it be there than taking up counter space.
@LadyDuck (175597)
• Switzerland
15 Sep 17
Ouch, I know this hurts, I never heat soups in the microwave.
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
Smarter than I am soup will be heated on the stove from now on
1 person likes this
@LadyDuck (175597)
• Switzerland
16 Sep 17
@Marilynda1225 I am more comfortable using a stove. I use the microwave very few times, mainly to defrost food out from the freezer.
@amadeo (72794)
• United States
15 Sep 17
never had this problem.You need to be more careful Depending how long you heat it. Soup only need short time to heat.then wait and take it out.Sorry for your accident there.
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
Yes it was just too hot for me to take out and I should have waited but as they say..you live and learn
@amadeo (72794)
• United States
15 Sep 17
@Marilynda1225 well you still have to be very careless.We do this at times.I have done many
@NJChicaa (46018)
• United States
15 Sep 17
I pulled a casserole dish covered in foil out of the oven a couple of years ago and the scalding hot liquid splashed onto my stomach. Horrible burns. I probably needed skin grafts but didn't pursue it.
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
You're like me as I didn't seek medical attention. It's healing slowly but probably needed attention. Egads I have chills thinking of you spilling hot liquid on your stomach too
1 person likes this
• Jacksonville, Florida
15 Sep 17
I'm sorry, burns hurt so bad! Especially on your stomach-ouch! =( I hope you feel better from it really soon.
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Sep 17
Thanks..it's healing slowly and it's pretty tender but still red
1 person likes this
@RasmaSandra (19615)
• Daytona Beach, Florida
15 Sep 17
Sorry to hear this. I know that scalding can be very painful Perhaps this link can offer you some soothing.
A scald--a burn from hot liquids or steam--can be painful. Treating yourself promptly can help relieve the discomfort. In a first-degree scald or burn, your skin is red, swollen and painful, but you can treat this minor burn yourself. However, Mayo Clinic
1 person likes this
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
16 Sep 17
Yikes I hope that heals quickly.I only use my mircrowave to reheat my coffee.
• Sibiu, Romania
16 Sep 17
I feel so sorry about you! It's happened to mee too in the past and I know how much that can hurt. Hope you get better very soon!
@Tampa_girl7 (26190)
• United States
16 Sep 17
I hope that you are healing quickly.
@singhisback (2147)
• Jalandhar, India
16 Sep 17
I'm sorry to know about that. These things do happen when one is in kitchen. I hope you feel better soon
@silvermist (20116)
• India
16 Sep 17
It must be very painful.But I am glad it is healing.Another lesson learned.No use crying over spilled hot soup.
@Lucky15 (33700)
• Philippines
16 Sep 17
I have those accidents maybe mindlessness. :(