Fallen Myth - Fingerprints May Not Be Unique

Free Image by Pixabay
Switzerland
We all believed to have unique fingerprints, but according to recent discoveries, it seems that this is yet to be proved. The discovery shows that members of the same family, share the same fingerprint patterns. Considering a partial fingerprint found on a crime scene, can lead to incriminate the wrong person. Well, it was since 1901 that the police used this "infallible" method. I wonder how many innocent people have been sent to jail for inaccurate reading of their fingerprints. Have you read this news? It seems that many things we gave for granted are finally not so sure. Now I am curious to know if in the future, we will discover that also our voice and our tongue print are not unique.
@topffer (30767)
• France
The police knows that there are similarities between fingerprints, and they want 7 or 8 similar points between 2 fingerprints before attributing it. At this level you cannot make a confusion between 2 persons of the same family, but it explains also why fingerprints found on a scene of crime cannot always be used when they are not neat/complete. Until now I never heard of 2 people having exactly the same fingerprints.
Until now I also did not hear of 2 people with the same fingerprints. I will investigate more, because the media jump easily to conclusions.
@topffer (30767)
• France
@LadyDuck The police can use a fingerprint with only 4 or 5 similarities as a piece of evidence when they have other pieces of evidence against somebody, but it will be presented in court like what it is, a piece of evidence and not a definitive evidence. Some people might not understand it.
@topffer This is what I suspect, people cannot be jailed only on a partial fingerprint found on the scene of the crime.
I have not heard this news. If this is the case, then I am sure other unique to the individual parts will have to be used for identification purposes.
Your earlobes, lip print, tongue print, teeth, and other body parts and traits are just as unique to you as your fingerprints.
You know, while people touch things, I do not believe that a criminal would leave around his/her tongue print. The hear lobes (and shape) the iris and the teeth are also unique you can only use the iris and the ears for very secure ID cards, but they are not useful for the police to trace criminals. If the theory of the unique fingerprints drop, they can only use the DNA.
@Shiva49 (9752)
Now we have iris recognition immigration system that is supposed to be unique - siva
@Shiva49 Iris is unique, but the iris change with the age and the colour could change if you assume some kind of medications.
• Eugene, Oregon
Fingerprints have been used and sometimes misused, but I think that @toppfer is right.
I agree @toppfer is right and I think that from long time this is no more the only way to frame a criminal.
@hostessman (7228)
• Tucson, Arizona
only time will tell the truth
You are right, wait and see.
I haven't heard this, but now understand why the airport in London, England took eye scans in two different checkpoints just to fly to Scotland. DNA also seems to be foolproof. Your news is amazing!
Iris is also unique, but it is well know that eye iris changes during lifetime and some diseases can quickly modify the color of the iris. DNA evidence is not foolproof.
Believing it blindly could put the wrong people in jail
@LadyDuck I'm speechless! Wow!
@DianneN They will implant a microchip to every newborn in the future , I am glad I am no more young.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, now we have DNA samples.
We usually have, unless there is only a fingerprint on the door of a car used for a robbery, this happens.
@vandana7 (57528)
I can plant DNA samples, and DNA samples also have other drawbacks. I may arrive at the crime scene and have some of my finger prints there. It does not mean I was not there before, and it does not mean I just arrived. Prints can't be timed. Over the years, they also get contaminated.
@vandana7 This is a good idea, go there several times before the crime, so you can prove that your fingerprints are there because you went there before. While going there to create an alibi, plant DNA evidences collected from other people.
That's interesting. I wonder what the outcome will be. And I wonder if facial recognition like they have in airports will be more widely used.
Facial recognition is useful if you are showing your face, I do not believe that criminals will leave their photo on a crime scene. For the crime scene in addition to the fingerprints the DNA test will be useful.
@LadyDuck Of course, silly me! It is late here and I had one too many glasses of mine with my dinner. I think it's time I logged off.
@Asylum (47340)
• Manchester, England
It has long been believed that fingerprints are not unique, just diverse enough to make duplication extremely unlikely or rare.
This is true, but a "partial" fingerprint may be mistaken very easily and I doubt that on a crime scene they can find perfectly stamped fingerprints. If this should be the case, they would be placed there by purpose.
@Asylum (47340)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I have to agree with that.
I have not heard of this.But does make a lot of sense there. Yes,I am sure there are many people there who are incriminate.Never can tell. Thank you .Good morning.Fredo
Good morning Fredo. I always thought that it's pretty hard to be sure of the identity of a criminal only getting a little part of a fingerprint.
@LadyDuck yes like you say how many out there were false
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have read that and I too wonder how many innocent people are spending time in prisons for crimes they didn't commit. I know many are found guilty who are innocent, and this is one more factor to consider when charging anyone for a crime.
I think it's too easy to compare a partial fingerprint with a database and jump to conclusions. In my opinion there is not a sure method, have you seen the man who was jailed for years because he looked like another man? They should be more careful to check the alibi.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LadyDuck Maybe they shouldn't use partial fingerprints at all. I think alibis are checked but a good lawyer can convince a jury on little evidence. Our system is said to be the best in the world but still some innocent people go to jail and some criminals remain free.
@RubyHawk Well, the countries with the best Judicial system in the world are Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark (in this order) and even in those counties there are innocents that were jailed and criminals that run (U.S.A. is number 18).
And that's a scary discovery. We can be incriminated for a crime we didn't commit because our fingerprint matches with the fingerprint on the used weapon.
As they now know that they are not unique, this will not be a way to incriminate people.
@LadyDuck I agree. It will not be acceptable anymore as evidence.
@Shellyann36 (8598)
I had not heard of this. I do think that @topffer has a very valid point.
Yes, he is right on this for sure.
@suziecat7 (3463)
• Asheville, North Carolina
I haven't heard this. Now they rely more on DNA but who knows what they'll find out about that?
Right now the only sure evidence if the DNA that matches, but even a "partial" DNA can lead to wrong conclusions.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh my word, this is shocking to me, because fingerprints are always used as evidence! As for voices, people say my sister and I sound alike over a phone.
When Mom was younger, people were unable to make the difference from the two of us over a phone. Only the DNA test seems to be sure.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@LadyDuck , Yes, it seems DNA is the surest. If anything is discovered to contradict that, then I am not certain how some crimes will be solved.
@bluesa Implanting a microchip in every new born, so they can track us.
I hadn't heard that. I didn't know there was anything unique about the tongue or voice. I've heard many people who sound alike, especially twins.
I agree that many sound alike, but it seems that, if examined with tech instruments, the voice is unique, as it is the eye iris.
@LadyDuck I know the eye iris is unique as they are starting to use that for identification. It would take a tech instrument to tell the difference in the voice.
@just4him I have read that the iris is not a sure method because the scanner did not recognize people who had cataract.
I haven't read about that news and that's scary. I think that's why iPhone x is using face ID. I know that me and the members of my family don't share the same fingerprint because I can't open their iPhones using my fingerprint.
Well, one of my friend was unable to open his iPhone using his fingerprints for days after he had a minor burning on a finger. This proves how little sure the method to identify a person with fingerprints is.
@LadyDuck He should have use not only one of his fingers. Besides, there's still the alternative code. I can't open mine with fingerprint when my hands are wet, so I use the code.
@toniganzon He used the alternative code, he is a computer engineer, I am sure he used several fingers, but he wanted to show me how a little thing modify your fingerprint.
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
I would think that the voice could change because of different maladies. I use to be able to sing soprano, now I sing Base. (smoking) changes the vocal chords. And the tongue; depending on what you eat (hot mexican foods) could probably alter it. And considering how much weed pulling and callouses that I've got on my fingers and hands, it wouldn't surprise me that my fingerprints are different from when I went to jail in 2004. I think DNA evidence is probably gonna be the best @LadyDuck .
If you put aside the DNA only the Irisis are unique, but some medications can change the color.
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
@LadyDuck I wonder though if the Irisis would change if you had Cataract Surgery. Or in some cases, they implant a new lens.
@nanette64 Studies have been conducted to see if the iris is still recognized after a cataract surgery. 25 patients have been analyzed and after surgery six cases were found in which the eye was no more recognizable. It's pretty high.
@crossbones27 (15253)
• Redlands, California
Bad jokes bad jokes my lot banned me, bad jokes again.
You have not been banned, I see you are still around.
• Redlands, California
@LadyDuck Haha, Mylot loves me I think, never get to cocky miss lady. Now I just have the rest of population to worry about. Always cool to be appreciated by some one though, Thanks miss lady, thanks Mylot, Like I say, love the ones that show a better way and it comes at a price every time. Sad to say
@crossbones27 MyLot is a nice community, except for a few who get offended for a nonsense and they block you, the rest of people here are good people.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
I haven`t heard of this case but it can possibly happen as Plastic surgery had been discovered
Well this is not the point, the point is that it seems that people from the same family can have almost identical fingerprints, so if only a portion is used, it is not possible to tell for sure to whom those fingerprints pertain.
@LadyDuck Hmmmm..Kind of weird to me because I know even families have different fingerprints
@m_audrey6788 Well, in the same family they can be different, but they have discovered that in many cases they are very similar. I am not surprised.
@dgobucks226 (6854)
I never knew about this fingerprint controversy?
It's a first time also for me and I want to research to know more.
@LadyDuck I know they use dental records to identify people. I heard them talking today about finding another method for ID instead of using your social security number. One such comment was an Iris (eye)scan although how serious they are and if it would work is another matter.
@dgobucks226 The iris is supposed to be unique, the color can change with the age and it also changes if you take some medications against glaucoma. The dental records are used to identify people, but I suspect they are not useful to identify criminals, I do not see how they would leave their dental trace during a robbery, different if they kill someone and bite the victim.